PDA

View Full Version : Help, questions regarding Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 vs Babolat PD GT Roddick

guille_vilas
08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
:confused:

Hi guys, good morning, this is my first thread, im from Argentina, sorry if my english is not very good...

The thing is, im currently using a Pure drive GT Roddick and recently i have tryed Wilson Kfactor ksix one 16x18.

Im a baseline player (In Argentina, remember, we usually play in clay) with good drive and a very good forehand.
When i have tryed the Wilson, i improved my first service and my volley a lot. But i felt it a little complicated at the running drive and the topspin forehand. Not the plane ones.

If i change to this Wilson, which string and wich tension do you recommend me? In my PD im using 55 and its ok.

I dont understand very wall the difference between the 16x18 string pattern and the 18x20 pattern.

Please any comments and advices will help.
Thanks a lot!

Alex.:twisted:

movdqa
08-24-2009, 09:35 AM
The 16x18 pattern should produce more spin than the 18x20 so if you're a heavy spin player, then you might prefer the 16x18 variant.

There's a big difference in weight between the PDR GT - you might try adding some lead tape to the PDR to see if it moves you closer to where you want to go.

smoothtennis
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
I own both the ncode sixone 95 (18x20), and two AeroPD's. There is a very big difference in the control the Wilson 18x20 string pattern gives you. It is most evident when blocking, chipping, and slicing. For groundies, and for spin, the PD is the way to go. Since you are on clay - I can't imagine switching to the Wislon plus tight string pattern.

And yeah, you can lead the PD to Wilson specs or close.

guille_vilas
08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I own both the ncode sixone 95 (18x20), and two AeroPD's. There is a very big difference in the control the Wilson 18x20 string pattern gives you. It is most evident when blocking, chipping, and slicing. For groundies, and for spin, the PD is the way to go. Since you are on clay - I can't imagine switching to the Wislon plus tight string pattern.

And yeah, you can lead the PD to Wilson specs or close.

You are right, i would love to have a medium terms for these two rackets.
Babolat spins on my hand a lot, Ksixone, it is more solid when im serving or hitting. I will definitely choose 16 x 18 pattern.
With the pure drive roddick im a little bit stuck so i will try to improve with this racquet...

smoothtennis
08-28-2009, 07:59 AM
You are right, i would love to have a medium terms for these two rackets.
Babolat spins on my hand a lot, Ksixone, it is more solid when im serving or hitting. I will definitely choose 16 x 18 pattern.
With the pure drive roddick im a little bit stuck so i will try to improve with this racquet...

I absolutely love the 18x20 pattern. Switching to the APDC is a compromise for me. The 18x20 offers such great counter punching ability off of hard shots coming at me. The APDC lacks the precision say if I am trying to take a hard shot, and slice or block it up the line, or hit a fine angled softer ball.

The lead did help a lot in this regard. Maybe I will fall out of love with it again later, but the spin is so much more available with the APDC that I am having loads of fun hitting some nasty high topspin forehands with it. Others have commented on not being able to hit their 1HBH as well with this stick, but I have not had this trouble. My 1HBH clearly has more consitency with the extra spin.

The timing is different on the Babolats with the wider beam - and that part I do not like. I think that is what gives poeple the trouble on 1HBH, plus the larger head - just more prep to get that shot through the hitting zone timed properly.

If I played on clay, there is no hesitation in saying I would use the Babolat's vs. the 18x20 Wilson 95 sixone.

2ndserveace
08-29-2009, 05:47 AM
I am about to switch from the K 95 16x18 to the Pure Drive Roddick. The extra spin and power I got on my groundstrokes with the PDR, along with even a little more control made the difference. Volleys were better with the K 95, but I'm working on shortening my backswing with volleys and returns to get more control. The PDR is definately better than the K 95.

prjacobs
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Strangely enough, the K six one 95 had less control than the PDR. I kept hitting long with the K 95 and I couldn't really put the ball where I wanted to. I'd say the general opinion of the K 95 is unfavorable here. I'd recommend trying the Dunlop 4D 500 tour. It had much more feel than the PDR and I could do everything well with this frame. Best of luck.

movdqa
09-02-2009, 06:56 AM
The PDR is much lighter and it's probably easier to generate spin with which may be keeping the balls in the court. My general opinion of those I know using the K95 has been favorable but they tend to be old-school players that want a bit on the modern side.

prjacobs
09-02-2009, 01:06 PM
The people in my local tennis store in NYC are almost apologetic about the K six one 95. I almost bought it 3 years ago, but bought the flexpoint radical instead.... It might've been a mistake:)