PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells Advice

rasajadad
08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I am headed to Indian Wells mid-October for my senior nationals. Any advice on airports, cheap hotels, etc? (The matches are at Indian Wells Tennis Garden if that helps.)

SoCal10s
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
take a flight to Ontario airport,rent a car and drive to IW,it's less than 100 miles from there .. it's always hot so be sure to prepare yourself for 100* heat and maybe windy and cool at nights.. try booking at golf resorts for the best deals on really nice accommodations for cheap..it might be a low season time now, so those golf resorts are throwing out some nice deals.. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt ,La Quinta resort,and others for less than $80.. it depends on your timing..good luck.. the courts at the tennis garden are real slow,I hope you like slow courts...

Megi
08-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Last time I went to Indian Wells I stayed at the Renaissance Esmeralda (http://www.renaissanceesmeralda.com/) at the rate of $179. Great value for the money. I'd never stay anywhere else. Fantastic place.

On the cheaper side, you can try Best Western Palm Desert (http://www.bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-western-palm-desert-resort/) where the nightly rates go below $100.

drgreenthumb
08-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree with someone that Ontario would save you some $$ but check first if there any 'deals' to palm springs airport.

at this time of the yr, the hotels are reasonable. you can stay at motel 8 for 35$/night or the esmeralda $179 (usually >$250/night)...not sure what "'budget" means to you but all the hotels/motels are fairly lower.

bring a sunscreen, youll literally burn there. last weekend was 110F!

rasajadad
08-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Keep em coming!

GS
08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Check your e-mail for some pretty good advice.

rasajadad
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks again, GS.

GS
08-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Check your e-mail again for some more tips.

SoCal10s
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
share please...

rasajadad
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
GS referred me to a website
www.palmsprings.com

for inexpensive hotels and then later to Southwest for airfares. He also gave me directions to the Niketown in Palm Springs.

GS
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Okay. This guy wants to fly from the East coast and get to Palm Springs. You can't fly into that town cheaply from the East. It's cheaper to fly cross-country via Southwest Airlines for around $129 each way, to Ontario, rent a car (with a Southwest discount, of course), and drive an hour east---you'd want a car in that town, anyway. If you do a search on palmsprings.com, you can find 2 budget hotels, the Palm Canyon Inn, and the Palm Court Inn---rooms from $50 a nite, mid-week. They're nothing fancy, but the Palm Court Inn has a free continental breakfast and a huge swimming pool. Plus, it's near the famous mountain tram ride....

rasajadad
08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
So far 5 of us took advantage of Southwest's great fares into and out of Ontario, CA Airport. A friend and I got a cheap condo off Hotwire figuring that having a kitchen would save on food and having a washer and dryer would be easier than using public facilities at a hotel. We also rented the car through the SW website but I don't know if cheaper alternatives existed.

GS
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
You booked a great trip, rasaj! Southwest can discount a rental car okay, but they discount even lower when you're a frequent flyer, and you get their discount codes. And a cheap condo makes sense, with that kitchen, etc.

imajica77
09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
wish i had seen this before you booked. i have found in the past that i could find even better deals flying into san diego and driving to palm springs which is a easy two hour drive. hope the Ontario works out just as well for you.

rasajadad
09-04-2009, 06:59 AM
The airfares were just about identical and I was advised that the Ontario Airport is a little closer and easier to transit through.

I will report back after Nationals.

Carlito
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
If price is an issue, check out arriving at Ontario and Santa Ana. Try to avoid LAX.