PDA

View Full Version : Youtek Radical Pro specs way off the listed ones

CzechM8
08-24-2009, 09:07 AM
A friend of mine was looking for a new racquet to replace his Head Extreme Pro, which he felt was too stiff and a probable cause of some biceps and shoulder pain he started to experience after switching to the Extreme Pro several months ago.

The specifications of the Youtek Radical Pro seemed right, especially the listed stiffness rating of 58. So he ordered one online (they're not yet officially imported to my country, so he couldn't demo one). The first impression was it was kinda heavy, so he had our stringer check the specifications, only to be surprised by the results:

(listed / actual):

Unstrung weight: 315 g / 327 g
Balance point: 325 mm / 315 mm (this is the only difference he's happy about)
Stiffness: 58 / almost 68

That said, it is a little milder on his arm than the Extreme Pro and plays differently from his current racquet (it actually makes him use proper technique to make the shot). But the weight is a little too much for him, so he may just leave it for doubles because volleys are sweet with that thing.

I guess the moral of the story is: Always demo. If you don't, don't be surprised :)

mrtrinh
08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
ive also heard the same thing from others, the youtek radical is much stiffer than the microgel radical yet has a lower rating. How did your friend like the groundstrokes of the radical

CzechM8
08-24-2009, 09:35 AM
How did your friend like the groundstrokes of the radical
He liked them, said he could feel and control the shot better than with the Extreme Pro. What I can tell from my side of the court is that the balls were coming less heavy and the trajectory was not as loopy as with the Extreme Pro (I guess because of the higher weight preventing from heavy wrist action) but his accuracy and timing in rallies were even better than they usually are.

Btw, it was strung with Gosen Polylon Comfort 16 at 26/25 kg.

I also got to test the racquet, although for only about 30 minutes. I normally use a Prince O3 Tour Lite (http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageRCPRINCEH-PO3TLMP.html) leaded up to about 300g unstrung to make it more head light, so the heft was noticable but I liked the way I hit the ball where I wanted to when I did my part. "Reliable" is the word that comes to mind, even on my forehand that's been all over the place recently... What I really hated was the metallic "POING" the racquet went with every hit. That was just...annoying.

As a side note, it was also a positive experience for me for a different - I've been thinking about changing my racquet because I've felt it no longer gives me the control I'm looking for, and I found I've probably grown into player's frames (alghough I'll probably go with something a little lighter) :)

mrtrinh
08-24-2009, 10:29 AM
your review makes me really tempted to demo the radical. Recently bought the youtek speed, and like your friend I had a lot more control and can place the ball a lot easier on the court wherever I wanted it, but have less pace on the ball. I guess thats okay though since im a double's player and love to serve and volley

javierjavier
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
i'm pretty surprised by the 68 rating. my yt radical mp's are noticeably more flexible than the microgel prestige i have, and the extreme pro (gf's racket) is definitely a lot more stiff than both. you should have had him measure the extreme pro to act as a reference point.

the feel of the youtek radical is weird. i think the 58 rating is pretty accurate from playing with my radical for about 2 months now. they are definitely pretty soft and as a result pretty low powered.

imo - they are too soft and wouldn't offer enough power for the avg player they are targeted to. i suspect the prestige line which should be heavier and stiffer will actually be better suited for many players.

the sweet feel on volleys is the combination of the stiff throat and overall flex of the hoop. i agree the feel on touch and volleys is some of the best i've ever experienced.

next time he orders a racket, he should ask for the lightest or one closest to spec. a service offered by tw and many other online retailers.

THESEXPISTOL
08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I would be surprised if you friend wasn't having arm problems..
An Extreme Pro with full poly at 26/25kgs even ironman would be dropping the racquet.

murrmanfan13
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
i have the youtek radical pro and i love it. the stiffness looks worse than it is (if you like flexy racquets) and the weight was heavy for the first day and then i adjusted and got more heft. compared to my k-surge, and head microgel radical, i get more control and feel, pace is more than the surge and equal with the microgel, and spin is pretty even. its a great stick, if you feel you dont have enough of something with it, string it so you get what you want. the "poing" is because of the strings, not the racquet

mrtrinh
08-24-2009, 01:42 PM
i'm pretty surprised by the 68 rating. my yt radical mp's are noticeably more flexible than the microgel prestige i have, and the extreme pro (gf's racket) is definitely a lot more stiff than both. you should have had him measure the extreme pro to act as a reference point.

the feel of the youtek radical is weird. i think the 58 rating is pretty accurate from playing with my radical for about 2 months now. they are definitely pretty soft and as a result pretty low powered.

imo - they are too soft and wouldn't offer enough power for the avg player they are targeted to. i suspect the prestige line which should be heavier and stiffer will actually be better suited for many players.

the sweet feel on volleys is the combination of the stiff throat and overall flex of the hoop. i agree the feel on touch and volleys is some of the best i've ever experienced.

next time he orders a racket, he should ask for the lightest or one closest to spec. a service offered by tw and many other online retailers.

So between the mg prestige and the youtek radical what do you prefer? And between the 2 which do you feel has more power and pace?

tennisegg
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I also got to test the racquet, although for only about 30 minutes. I normally use a Prince O3 Tour Lite (http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageRCPRINCEH-PO3TLMP.html) leaded up to about 300g unstrung to make it more head light, so the heft was noticable but I liked the way I hit the ball where I wanted to when I did my part. "Reliable" is the word that comes to mind, even on my forehand that's been all over the place recently... What I really hated was the metallic "POING" the racquet went with every hit. That was just...annoying.

Did he have a dampener in? My Fischer also has that metallic "poing" sound unless I'm using a dampener. I find that really helps tame the sound, which is good, since I also find it annoying :p

javierjavier
08-24-2009, 04:42 PM
So between the mg prestige and the youtek radical what do you prefer? And between the 2 which do you feel has more power and pace?
the mg prestiges definitely have more power. they are stiffer and the extra weight make them feel much more solid at impact.

the yt radical mp as a whole is a very soft and flexible frame, but it has a really stiff throat. this translates into some great feedback on all shots especially touch shots and volleys. it plays soft and crisp at the same time which i know seems contradictory, but if you hit with it you will understand.

the epic failure of this racket however is its weight. because of its lightweight the racket gets pushed around easily and can feel harsh. light and flexible don't generally equal a solid feeling racket.

that said, heavy and flexible usually does. i've played with adding weight in different places, and it definitely responds really well to customization. adding weight will solve any stability and power issues, but i understand many don't want to have to customize a racket.

i've recently added caps to one of my yt radical mp's and for those not wanting to play with lead i can attest this is a solution worth investigating. it's my current set-up, and i'm extremely happy with it.

i usually don't like having to customize my racket either, but the reason i tried to make the yt radical work was because of the exceptional feedback and feel. i serve and volley about half the time, and the touch on volleys is just that good.

anyway, i'm really happy with my capped yt radical mp's, but it does have me eager to try the new youtek prestiges when they come out. add some static weight, make it a tad stiffer, but retain the same feel and feedback then i might have to switch again.

domhas1
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
the mg prestiges definitely have more power. they are stiffer and the extra weight make them feel much more solid at impact.

the yt radical mp as a whole is a very soft and flexible frame, but it has a really stiff throat. this translates into some great feedback on all shots especially touch shots and volleys. it plays soft and crisp at the same time which i know seems contradictory, but if you hit with it you will understand.

the epic failure of this racket however is its weight. because of its lightweight the racket gets pushed around easily and can feel harsh. light and flexible don't generally equal a solid feeling racket.

that said, heavy and flexible usually does. i've played with adding weight in different places, and it definitely responds really well to customization. adding weight will solve any stability and power issues, but i understand many don't want to have to customize a racket.

i've recently added caps to one of my yt radical mp's and for those not wanting to play with lead i can attest this is a solution worth investigating. it's my current set-up, and i'm extremely happy with it.

i usually don't like having to customize my racket either, but the reason i tried to make the yt radical work was because of the exceptional feedback and feel. i serve and volley about half the time, and the touch on volleys is just that good.

anyway, i'm really happy with my capped yt radical mp's, but it does have me eager to try the new youtek prestiges when they come out. add some static weight, make it a tad stiffer, but retain the same feel and feedback then i might have to switch again.

What caps did you use on the YT Rad MP? Did you use the microgel mp caps?