PDA

View Full Version : switching from Aeropro drive

Arzon
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
hi
I've had an aeropro drive for about two years now and I had enjoyed playing with it. I currently am a heavily topspin based baseline player. I almost never go to net (i suck at doubles) and almost every forehand is windshield wiper. I was about a 4.0 (coach rated) tennis player during tennis season, but now I have slacked off and I'm about a 3.5 now. There are a number of reasons I want to switch racquets.

1) I picked this racquet when I was in 7th grade. My mom was frugal, so she only let me demo racquets for 1 day per to avoid charges (local tennis shop). I ended up not having a good idea about each racquet and showing bias toward the APDC because nadal was my favorite player.
2) I want to switch my game up. It is almost impossible for me to hit winners with my high bouncing topspin shots, especially when I am playing on my HS team. I'm looking for more pace on my groundstrokes; more penetrating groundstrokes rather than purely topspin high bouncing shots.
3) APD GT coming out soon. now would be a good time to sell :p

suggestions? I am looking into the head youtek speed pro from the reviews so far.

thanks

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
If you are going to get a head racket, get a microgel because they are going well down in price right now...

tennislvr135
08-24-2009, 03:15 PM
If you want to add pace and drive through the ball its gonna come from your technique not your power. APDC is an awesome racket for a baseline game.

tennislvr135
08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Oops i meant its not gonna come from your racket

Arzon
08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
bump 10char

TennisandMusic
08-24-2009, 05:04 PM
You should be able to hit winners with the APDC...I would avoid the head speed pro. I don't think it was all that great. It's an ok racquet but I don't know if you would get anything out of moving to it. If you REALLY want to switch to something that hits a flatter shot though, the pure drive series and the storm series are very nice. But the APDC is nice too so...

I think working on technique would help.

furyoku_tennis
08-24-2009, 05:04 PM
the apdc will help with spin generation, but most of it still comes from your technique. a little technique adjustment should help you with with less spin. however, if you really want to look around, then try the pure drive. it has power, but not as much spin as the apdc.

Arzon
08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
You should be able to hit winners with the APDC...I would avoid the head speed pro. I don't think it was all that great. It's an ok racquet but I don't know if you would get anything out of moving to it. If you REALLY want to switch to something that hits a flatter shot though, the pure drive series and the storm series are very nice. But the APDC is nice too so...

I think working on technique would help.

there's also the other reason. APDC Gt gonna come out in half a year. and, my local tennis shop has youtek speed pros for $130 on sale. Does the d30 tech actually work?

Hidious
08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I see what OP is talking about and i'm not sure it's entirely technique related even though it could very well be the case.

Speaking for myself, when i want to hit a winner, i usually want to go with a full, powerful swing and even a little grunt to top it off. However, taking this kind of swing with a rather powerful racket like the APD requires a good amount of spin to keep it in, especially on short balls. The flatter winner we are looking for here is a little more tricky to pull off with this type of racket.

I also agree with OP about too much spin giving more time for the opponent to get to the ball while the flat, powerful shot is long gone before he can even get to it. Please note that i am absolutely not implying that you cannot hit good winners with huge topspin. Not at all.

First thing i'd do is demo a 18x20 and see if it has any affect at all. Personally, most 18x20 sticks hurt my baseline's consistency a little (because of a closer to the net ball trajectory) but give me the edge for punishing short balls and finishing points, the flat way. I would recommend the Dunlop 200 series or maybe the 4D 300 Tour if you're not a fan of the 200's weight. I haven't try this one yet but it sounds like a great stick. I'm sure Head and other companies also have similar quality models but i personally love the Dunlop 200s for their ability to crush the ball extremely flat with amazing control while still retaining decent/above average spin potential.

Definitely demo though, some people can never get used to the firmer feeling stringbed of 18x20s.

furyoku_tennis
08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
if that's the case, then i would suggest the pure storm or aero storm as they have similar specs, but much lower powered.

drgreenthumb
08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
If you want to add pace and drive through the ball its gonna come from your technique not your power. APDC is an awesome racket for a baseline game.

I agree with this guy. I have hit with APD and have accumulated a collection of 8 rackets (varying in string tension, weights, and strings for diff. conditions). I also have a heavy topspin-slice and break my strings in ~2 weeks with a BB Alu power rough+poly hybrid.

If you are switching rackets just because someone or a group of people can attack your high bouncing balls, I would learn to vary my swing technique (i.e. eastern grip will flatten your balls better; if your a full western, try to develop a semi-western swing or vice versa.) you can also vary your swing angle so that the kick will NOt be always upwards but to the right or left of your oponent.

Theres a lot of things that you can do. When the APDC came out, it felt weird
and stayed with my game plan, the APD...felt more raw.

If you are letting go of the APD, pls let me know, Ill be happy to add it to my collection. thanks

LafayetteHitter
08-24-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not a Nadal fan by any means but i've noticed Nadal can hit winners with this frame.

Hidious
08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm not a Nadal fan by any means but i've noticed Nadal can hit winners with this frame.

Didn't see this coming at all! You're so clever... [/sarcasm]

Power Player
08-25-2009, 05:41 AM
It's a technique issue. I have experimented and even made a thread about how I hit with some heavier racquets to try and test and see if they are better then the apdc. I am still in a demo program, so I always grab a racquet to switch in when I rally.

The last stick was the Head Prestige MP. A 12oz stick that is 18x20, and maybe more suited for "winners" if you think that way.

Result is that I still hit harder and heavier with the apdc. I can hit easy winners with it, or high bouncing topspin. It is really about swing path and technique. I think you can do anything if you like the racquet you have.

If you like the racquet and just want to switch, then you may end up missing that apd.

wyutani
08-25-2009, 06:11 AM
buy the wilson prostaff 88.