PDA

View Full Version : From Tonic ball Feel back to Wilson Sensation?

ac3111
08-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I have been playing for 1 year and since January I am playing with a K 6.1 95 (18 x 20). I tried a more user and beginner friendly rackets but did not have the same feel with the K 6.1 95 (18 x 20).
The racket was strung with Wilson Sensation probably a bit lower mid tension which must be 53-54 lbs.

Since March I got it strung with Babolat Tonic (16) at 57,7 lbs(=26kg).
After all that time for a reason I feel that with the Babolat Tonic even strung at nearly 58 lbs the control is less than with the Wilson Sensation string that came with...

Since I am not playing much time I did not want to try any poly string because I want to stay away from any possible TE and that was one of the reasons I tried the natural gut. I never had TE.

Have you any particular string set up or kind to suggest for a K 6.1 95 ( 18 x 20). I play mostly from the baseline and like to finish points early with winners.

Kevo
08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Sensation is a pretty good playing multi for the price. It's not over powered, and it tends to play well until it breaks. Gut has much more power IMO than sensation.

As far as tension goes, I think it would be pretty hard to get TE with gut even at high tension. If you like the feel of gut and don't mind the price, I would say just string it as high as you feel necessary to maintain the level of control you want. OTOH, if you like sensation go ahead and use it. It's a soft string and should not cause any arm problems.

If you want a synthetic similar to sensation but better in some way or another, maybe you should tell us what you would like to improve on compared to sensation.

ac3111
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I have not played much with sensation. The thing is that I am already at 58 lbs with Tonic and according to TW the K 95 string tension limit is at 60 lbs. So I don't think it will make a big difference controlwise to go from 58 to 60...