PDA

View Full Version : Bosworth - Would they actually make a racket for the public?

Trickster
08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
After filling the online form out for a custom Bosworth racket and never hearing anything back from them, I'm starting to wonder whether they actually will make rackets for non pros?

Has anyone actually bought a customised racket from bosworth? Do they put time and effort into it's production/modification? But most importantly will they actually do it?

mdjenders
08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
call them; the website seems to indicate that anyone can purchase the custom racquet. i had a question about racquet handle extension, and they did not answer email, but a phone call worked. do keep in mind that they might be really busy at the moment preparing for the open.

grover
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
one of their frames. I had barely heard of the company but was curious to see what he was playing with because he once used my racket of choice. Volkl DNX 9.

DNShade
08-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone can order their sticks customized to your specs - or even to Stepanek's specs or Martina's if you really want. Best to call them direct.

Lefty78
08-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Definitely give them a call, unless you live locally as I do.

They are super nice and super helpful imo, but they are also very busy.

tennisntn3477
08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Will just say that my personal experience has been very hit and miss with Bosworth - if they are too busy to do the custom frames, then they should just say that and give someone a reasonable timeframe.

In early February, I filled out the custom fitting form but couldn't get anyone to respond or confirm that the form made it to someone at Bosworth. Weeks later, I got a personal apology via email from Warren - in response to several phone calls. He made a point of saying the custom frames for non-professional players were important to him.

I spent time with his son via email and phone on the custom requirements and he says he will send out the test frames in May - nothing for three months, including no response from either email address.

I finally am able to make contact 2 weeks ago and he promises - again - to send out the test frames - if I will send a message to the contact email on the website. So far - no reply to my message and no frames.

Being as fair as possible - he (the son) seems incredibly knowledgable and very nice to work with, just not a lot (for me) to show for my time invested.

RalphNYC
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I thought they were out of business.

tennisntn3477
08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
I thought they were out of business.

Any chance you remember where you heard/read that? I had heard something similar on the boards here in the Spring but their website is significantly revamped since earlier in the year - and didn't figure website would still be operational if out of business?

dr325i
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Any chance you remember where you heard/read that? I had heard something similar on the boards here in the Spring but their website is significantly revamped since earlier in the year - and didn't figure website would still be operational if out of business?

their location in S Florida is definitely NOT out of business...

Fletch
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
They are not out of business and the son's name is Jay. He is a extremely knowledgeable on the rackets and strings as you would expect. The father Warren is an icon and still very active in the business. I would think customizing one through the mail would be next to impossible. If you call Jay and set an appointment to go into the store I'm sure they will help you out. I may do it this fall, I guess they give you about 20 rackets or so to try out and play test right at the store.

You should see the place, tons of pros rackets waiting to be customized.

I would highly recommend going to see them next time you are in Boca.

tennisntn3477
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
They are not out of business and the son's name is Jay. He is a extremely knowledgeable on the rackets and strings as you would expect. The father Warren is an icon and still very active in the business. I would think customizing one through the mail would be next to impossible. If you call Jay and set an appointment to go into the store I'm sure they will help you out. I may do it this fall, I guess they give you about 20 rackets or so to try out and play test right at the store.

You should see the place, tons of pros rackets waiting to be customized.

I would highly recommend going to see them next time you are in Boca.

Warren being an icon is precisely why I went to them. Their store isn't just down the street from me and their service - as stated - does not require in-person review. If you go - and are allowed - take some pics!

Fletch
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Warren being an icon is precisely why I went to them. Their store isn't just down the street from me and their service - as stated - does not require in-person review. If you go - and are allowed - take some pics!

I will take some photos. I am sure I will end up getting a racket, it would be interesting to go through the process. I am lucky, I go to Ft Lauderdale a couple times in the winter so its easy for me to go to Boca and visit the place. Must have at least 75-100 pros rackets in these storage bins just waiting for them to call and so Bosworth can customize and send the racket to them. Its very cool. Last time I was there, in March, they said they were expanding the business and going to have to move across the street into a bigger location.

If you get the chance and are down there, its great just to walk in and chat for 10 minutes, but they are really busy like another poster said.

stevewcosta
08-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Jay was extremely helpful and responsive when I called. I received a test racquet a few days after my request. The racquets are very high quality but the one version I received was just not for me (I'm sure I would have eventually found the right specs. with patience). The racquets are beautiful for sure. I just prefer 19MM or thinner beams...anything thicker seems bulky and unnecessary to me. Will try again if they offer a thinner version.

Zielmann
08-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I filled out their online form like last summer maybe? Maybe longer? Never did get a response. Then again, I didn't really expect anything. Sounds like going to the shop is a great experience. Might have to do that sometime, eventually.

But the big question is still what kind of price you'd be looking at for these. I mean, I assume that a custom frame would cost more than most stuff on the market now?

Rabbit
08-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Last I saw, they were $300/per

Zielmann
08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Last I saw, they were $300/per

That's what I would have figured. Just seems appropriate for the work that goes into it. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford that... Can't even afford to restring the one frame I have that currently has nothing in it...

LafayetteHitter
08-25-2009, 07:37 PM
I've seen posts saying 300 but I spoke with Jay recently at it's 399 with a slight discount on multiples.

Lefty78
08-26-2009, 05:20 AM
^ Their website says $399.95, as Jay told you.

Power Player
08-26-2009, 06:02 AM
If you go in there will they analyze your swing for the custom racquet? It seems like that would be a better way to do it.

Also, it seems like they customize other frames too right? So you don't have to buy just theirs? Or is that just for Pros?

Lefty78
08-26-2009, 06:37 AM
^ Bosworth absolutely does on-court testing and analysis, as well as customization of other manufacturer's frames, but everything they do is at a price. On-court time can be very expensive, but you should really call them to discuss it if you're serious.

alcap26
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I have had great experiences with them. I have never used the website. I have always called. I have neve gotten one of their racquets but they have done work on mine for me (custom handles). They were very quick but did ask me to wait on the first order as it was close to a major and they were very busy with pro's racquets.