PDA

View Full Version : Ignite, PDR GT, PS lmt review

2ndserveace
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I recently made a thread about which of these would be best for me, and I either have demoed them now or will in the next few days. I tried the Prince Ignite today, and then it's on to the PDR GT and the Pure Storm lmt. GT tomorrow. As a little background, I currently use the K 95 16x18.

Here is a quick review on it for comparison:
I got the overalls for each section by averaging the ratings of the attributes of each section, and then rounding it to the number that was easiest to read.

Groundstrokes: 8.8
-Power: 9
-Control: 8.5
-Spin: 9

Serve: 9.2
-Power: 9.5
-Accuracy: 9

Volleys: 9.25
-Punch: 9.5
-Maneuverability: 8.5
-Control: 9.75

2. The racquet feels very solid
3. Powerful, weighty groundstrokes
4. Volleys

Dislikes:
1. Lack of control on groundstrokes
2. Sometimes spin is hard to come by on groundstrokes (9 is a somewhat generous rating)
3. Quick reflex volleys are sometimes difficult

I will post a review on the Ignite in the next post. I will go more in-depth for my explanations in that review.

2ndserveace
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I was fortunate enough to be able to demo an Ignite with string hole inserts and one without side by side. The the differences in performance were negligible, but they affected the feel greatly. Both were strung with Price FXP poly and some Prince synthetic cross.
First, I'll give my ratings:

Groundstrokes: 9.2
-Power: 9
-Control: 9.5
- Spin: 9

Serves: 8.7
-Power: 8
-Spin: 9.5
-Accuracy: 8.5

Volleys: 9.2
-Maneuverability: 8.5

2. Volleys

Dislikes:
1. Serve
2. Groundstroke power
3. Not very solid feeling
4. Grip shape

I was very impressed with the groundstrokes of the racquet. The control was unbeleivable compared to my K 95. I consistently was able to take balls on the rise in no-mans-land and hit it for a winner or unreturnable. The spin was a little more but not too much more than my K 95.The power was a little less, but cartainly not enough to make this my favorite groundstroke stick so far.

I was extremely disappointed by the serving of this racquet. 8.7 is a generous rating, which I only gave because I figured the racquet would serve a little better after the feeling out process. The big problem I have with it is that it had no power. It felt like there wasn't enough mass in the head to produce a booming serve. My kickers came off with alot of spin, but alot of times they would die before they made it over the net, or they would sit up with no pace. My second serve is normally one of my best shots, so this really disappointed me.

Volleys were interesting with the Ignite. It felt very lively at net, but not solid like my K 95. They still had the same amount of power in the end, but the K 95 volley had more mass behind it. The frame maneuvered well at net and it had great touch as well.

The frame also felt really weird. I'm used to the solid feel of my K 95, so when I began to hit with the Ignite I wasn't exactly comfortable. Regardless of how the frame performed, I was never really at home with it. The only reason I didn't give the frame a 10 for control is because the ball would sometimes fly off the stringbed unexpectedly. I think it had alot to do with the lack of feel I had for the stringbed. I actually liked the racquet's feel better without the string hole inserts, but I felt really disconnected with the stringbed. The feel is the main reason I don't think I will switch to this racquet. Also, the grip shape felt weird at times. I think it had more to do with being unfamiliar with the shape, but it would definately take some getting used to. All in all a great racquet, but not for me.

Hidious
08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Cool thread, thanks for sharing. I'm not much of a Prince guy but i'm looking forward to the Babs reviews!

Was your K95 strung with kevlar when you came up with these ratings?

lenderbender
08-25-2009, 05:03 AM
looking forwards to your babolat reviews too

2ndserveace
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Cool thread, thanks for sharing. I'm not much of a Prince guy but i'm looking forward to the Babs reviews!

Was your K95 strung with kevlar when you came up with these ratings?
Yes it was strung with Kevlar. I also need to revise the ratings for the volleys of the K 95 a little bit, becuase I gave it lower ratings on volleys than I should've. The Bab reviews are coming either later tonight or some time tomorrow. It depends on whether or not I have time to write them.

2ndserveace
08-25-2009, 08:01 PM
The Pure Storm Lmt. actually surprised me in a good way. The demo was strung with Babolat Addiction. I felt that the string was very springy, and sometimes I could feel the ball being launched by the strings.
Here are the ratings:

Groundstrokes: 9
-Power: 8.5

Serve: 8.75
-Power: 8.5
-Spin: 8.5
-Accuracy: 9

Volleys: 9.25
-Punch: 9
-Maneuverability: 9.5
-Control: 9.25

2. Flat ball
3. Volleys
4. Solid feel

Dislikes:
1. Serves
2. The headshape made it difficult to hit with lots of spin without shanking more than usual

This racquet is definately made for a flat ball hitter. I hit a couple of flat balls that went screaming by my hitting partner. My hitting partner hits a pretty flat ball, and he loved this racquet. However, when I tried to hit with heavy spin, I would shank pretty often. When I was able to find the sweetspot on that shot, it responded well with a good amount of spin, especially for an 18x20 string pattern racquet. I didn't miss long very often, because the racquet had great control.

Serves were actually better than expected, since I had heard that this racquet was terrible for serves. It actually came off with more pace than I was expecting. The spin was average, I was only able to get my normal height on my kickers about half of the time. Accuracy was not as good as I thought it would be. I expected to be able to hit my spots pretty consistently with this frame and for some reason, I just couldn't.

Volleys were aided by the solid feel. For such a light stick, it had great punch at the net. It had great touch and I felt like I could hit almost every volley well except for the ones hit right at me. There were also a few that seemed to fly long sometimes. I loved the maneuverability. If this stick had as much control as my K 95, it would be the ultimate volleying stick.

As I said before, the solid feel really helped me like this racquet. It was very similar to the feel of my K 95, except it was a little softer. Despite the fact that the racquet is somewhat light, I never felt it was being pushed around. I would like to try it with lead tape at 12 if I get a chance just to see how it affects the serve and the power. If it impoved the serve alot, I would definately consider this racquet. Overall, I think this racquet is geared more towards an old school or flat ball hitter than a heavy spinner. If the serve were better, I would definately adjust my game just so I could use it.

A review of the PDR is coming tomorrow. Also, I plan to make a post after the PDR review to compare the attributes of the racquets that I didn't get to in my reviews, such as slices. Something I noticed during my time with the Babs is that the grip size is indeed about a size bigger than normal sizes. My 4 1/2 grip on the PDR was closer to 4 5/8, and the 4 3/8 grip of the PS lmt is the perfect size with an overgrip (I usually use 4 1/2).

2ndserveace
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
The demo was strung with Babolat Addiction. Here are the ratings:

Groundstrokes: 9.5
-Power: 10
-Control: 9

Serves: 9.75
-Power: 10
-Accuracy: 9.5

Volleys: 9
-Maneuverability: 9
-Control: 8.75

2. Serves
3. More solid feeling than the old Pure Drives

Dislikes:
1. Volleys were tough to control at times

Groundstrokes with this thing were insane. My favorite shot with this racquet was the heavy spinner, which came off with so much pace and spin that I would always get a weak reply, or a forced error. I also liked to hit an inside-in forehand that had so much spin that it landed in the service box right on the line, so it was alot like an angle. Flat balls with this came off like bombs, but were a little wild sometimes. My hitting partner is really fast, so he usually runs down those balls that you might think are sure winners. That didn't happen with this racquet because of the awesome power off the stringbed.

Serves were great as well. The flat serve was an absolute bomb, my kicker was almost unreturnable, and my slice serve had a ton of action on it. One time, I hit a kicker in the net (my fault not the racquet) and it got stuck. I've seen that happen with flat serves, but never a kick. I felt like I could hit any spot I wanted. Even my lowest percentage serve, the up the T on the ad, was money. Best serving racquet ever, bar none.

Volleys were actually better than I expected. When I had perfect technique, the ball came off with alot of pace. The only problem is: I don't have perfect technique, so there were alot of times when I fired some volleys long that I normally hit very well. Low volleys were difficult as well, because it didn't have the control that the other frames do to pop it up deep or to a corner.

The feel was tons better than the PDR cortex. It felt really solid and not nearly as hollow as it used to be. My only quip is the Babolat grip size is bigger than normal sizes, so I'll have to buy a size smaller than my usual 4 1/2and hope that it feels better. Overall, this is my favorite racquet out of all of those that I demoed. I could do anything when serving or hitting groundstrokes.

I hope my reviews have been helpful to those who have read them. A comparison post for some of the things I missed is coming later.

2ndserveace
08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Forgot to add these.

Slice:
1. PS Lmt GT
2. K 95
3. PDR GT
4. Ignite

Feel:
1. PS Lmt GT
2. K 95
3. PDR GT
4. Ignite

Touch:
1. PDR GT
2. K 95
3. PS Lmt GT
4. Ignite

Comfort:
1. PS Lmt GT
2. Ignite
3. K 95
4. PDR GT

____
08-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Nice review!

Have you tried a non GT PSL?
Does a PSL GT have a stability issue like the regular PSL?

2ndserveace
08-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice review!

Have you tried a non GT PSL?
Does a PSL GT have a stability issue like the regular PSL?

I haven't tried the raegular PSL, but I can tell you that the PSL didn't feel the slightest bit unstable despite its light weight. It felt really solid on slices, where I could hit an awesome stab slice on the run that knifed throught the court. Volleys were also very stable for a racquet that's so light.

Kevo
08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
The PSL does not have a stability issue. It's a little over 12oz. with an overgrip and dampener. So, if you think the PSL has a stability issue, then you probably don't want the PSL GT either. It looks almost identical in specs.

If you are just going by what others have posted on the PSL, and you are interested in the PSL GT, I would say go ahead and demo it. If you have good strokes and provide enough of your own power, but want a little more control then the PSL /GT may be a good stick for you. It's an excellent control frame and has no weak spots IMO.

lenderbender
08-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Nice reviews, just curious will you not be demoing the PST gt?

2ndserveace
08-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Nice reviews, just curious will you not be demoing the PST gt?

No I won't. I'm pretty sure I'm done demoing at this point because the PDR GT is so good.