PDA

View Full Version : Stringing 2 piece vs 1 piece

aimr75
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I learnt how to string firstly with 2 piece and have pretty much stuck to that for a while as i was used to it and a bit lazy to learn any other method. I recently tried the ATW DireDesire method which turned out fine (Thanks YULitle for the vid)

I know that since it was my first time it took longer, but overall i think it would be less hassle sticking with a 2 piece purely due to not dealing with a full string length

I have read the advantages in other threads on the 1 piece, but would it be bad practice if i strung all racquets as a 2 piece?

Zielmann
08-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't think it would be a problem. I mean, anybody who uses a hybrid set automatically requires two-piece stringing, as well as anybody who uses a slightly different tension in the mains and crosses.

I've had my frames strung both ways, and don't really notice any difference between the two. So I'd say if it's easier for you to do a two-piece job, then just stick with that.

Irvin
08-25-2009, 03:59 AM
If you like 2 piece then by all means do all your rackets that way. I like to tie off only the top and bottom crosses so I always do one piece on my rackets and many others.

It is not a bother to me to use a full length of string. When I do my one piece I string all the mains on the long side first so I will not have to keep searching for the end and untying knots. Then i pull tension no more than two mains on either side.

Irvin

papatenis
08-25-2009, 11:25 PM
you have to be careful when you string one piece. some racquet's can only be strung top to bottom, or some can be strung bottom to top. you have to check with racquet co. if you can string one piece or not.

Irvin
08-26-2009, 03:21 AM
you have to be careful when you string one piece. some racquet's can only be strung top to bottom...

I am not advocating stringing the racket from the bottom up. When I string one piece if the mains end at the bottom of the racket I use an ATW pattern.

Irvin

PimpMyGame
08-26-2009, 03:40 AM
I learnt how to string firstly with 2 piece and have pretty much stuck to that for a while as i was used to it and a bit lazy to learn any other method. I recently tried the ATW DireDesire method which turned out fine (Thanks YULitle for the vid)

I know that since it was my first time it took longer, but overall i think it would be less hassle sticking with a 2 piece purely due to not dealing with a full string length

I have read the advantages in other threads on the 1 piece, but would it be bad practice if i strung all racquets as a 2 piece?

No problem at all with 2-piece, as said previously if stringing a hybrid you need 2-piece anyway. Also many Head rackets demand 2-piece stringing so it's necessary in these situations.

However, I would advise you to "keep your eye in" with regard to 1-piece, as you don't want to be caught cold if a customer asks for it. There are also some frames which are designed 1-piece, and although 2-piece isn't difficult, it may mean widening holes etc, which you don't want to get into unless it's necessary.

On balance I prefer to string 1-piece, I have only strung the UKRSA round the world pattern but look forward to giving some other variations a go to see how they compare.

PimpMyGame
08-26-2009, 03:43 AM
When I do my one piece I string all the mains on the long side first so I will not have to keep searching for the end and untying knots. Then i pull tension no more than two mains on either side.

Irvin

Irvin - thanks for this tip, I'm going to have a go at it. For info I pull tension no more than 3 mains either side and haven't had any issues (but I am relatively inexperienced). Can I ask whether this is just the technique you employ, or have you had any previous problems going more than 2 each side?

abenguyen
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
typically 2 piece is easier because you do deal with less string on one side. usually its also used for hybrids but i have been doing 2 pieces for racquets with one type of string and it ends up fine. some say that 1 piece holds tension better, but thats them.

Dags
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
You could argue that always doing 2-piece will actually improve the quality of your jobs. One of your primary goals is to produce consistency, and using the same method every time can only benefit that.

Irvin
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Irvin - thanks for this tip, I'm going to have a go at it. For info I pull tension no more than 3 mains either side and haven't had any issues (but I am relatively inexperienced). Can I ask whether this is just the technique you employ, or have you had any previous problems going more than 2 each side?

I start by double pulling the first two mains so I can set the clamp. Then I pull the first main on one side and then alternate sides and pull two mains on each side so that I never pull more than one ahead. I really don't have a reason to pull this way. I just do it this way because I have been doing it that way for a long time.

Irvin

aimr75
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't think it would be a problem. I mean, anybody who uses a hybrid set automatically requires two-piece stringing, as well as anybody who uses a slightly different tension in the mains and crosses.

Yeah i wasnt referring to hybrids since they are obviously 2 piece, but where its a full job of a string..

with the one piece though, i actually still adjusted to a lower tension when i did the crosses..