PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive as a beginner racquet?

jmmtn4aj
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi, I recently started playing the game seriously (getting coach once a week, hopefully playing more often with friends when I'm more free), and was thinking of going from the OS racquets I already have to a one properly customized for me. The racquets are my family's so the grip size isn't exactly right and I'm not happy with the balance. Also I tried my coach's 9x sq inch Prince racquet and preferred the feel, OS seems to wobble too much for me since it allows me to hit off center more often.

Is a PD GT too advanced for me? My swing style tends to be moderate to short, and I'm a regular sized Asian (~5' 8") so my main concern is power..

LanEvo
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
demo is all i can say, but im asian as well 5'8" and i use the Aerostorms

jmmtn4aj
08-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Is it disadvantageous to learn on a 'pro' racquet though?

tata
08-26-2009, 01:06 AM
I say go with a 'pro' racquet or what you are comfortable with. Personally i do think racquets can give you more room for growth, a shell you might call it. The crapper the racquet the smaller the shell you have to grow into. When i was playing in high school i used OS and recreational racquets for like 4-5 years. I didnt go coaching but there was little progress. Then when i cracked the frame i went straight to a prince 03 and i improved ALOT in one year as opposed to 4-5yrs of using recreational racquets.

wyutani
08-26-2009, 01:07 AM
not a good idea. ive seen beginers using the pure drive and saw them suffer. ugly strokes, ugly serves, serves not going in. start with a lighter racquet. anything below 300g.

jmmtn4aj
08-26-2009, 02:12 AM
I say go with a 'pro' racquet or what you are comfortable with. Personally i do think racquets can give you more room for growth, a shell you might call it. The crapper the racquet the smaller the shell you have to grow into. When i was playing in high school i used OS and recreational racquets for like 4-5 years. I didnt go coaching but there was little progress. Then when i cracked the frame i went straight to a prince 03 and i improved ALOT in one year as opposed to 4-5yrs of using recreational racquets.

This is what I was thinking too..

not a good idea. ive seen beginers using the pure drive and saw them suffer. ugly strokes, ugly serves, serves not going in. start with a lighter racquet. anything below 300g.

Pure Drive Lite then? I was thinking instead of relying on the racquet to provide power at the start, I should dive into the deep end and learn a bit of control and supplying my own power from the beginning :)

Meaghan
08-26-2009, 02:54 AM
The PD is light 318g strung for a man of medium height. All the kids play with them!
Id go with that or the Speedport white (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PSP03W.html), which is IMO easier to use, better volleys.
Or if you do go lighter, the 03 white is great (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PO3WSH.html)

120mphBodyServe
08-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Do not use a Pure Drive as your first racquet...
Do not use a Pure Drive, ever..
But that's just my opinion...
Get something that's a less powerful frame, and that you can grow into while you develop your strokes.
And get the heaviest racquet you can handle...

jmmtn4aj
08-26-2009, 06:55 AM
The PD is light 318g strung for a man of medium height. All the kids play with them!
Id go with that or the Speedport white (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PSP03W.html), which is IMO easier to use, better volleys.
Or if you do go lighter, the 03 white is great (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PO3WSH.html)

Yeah, I have been looking at the SP Black and White too..

Do not use a Pure Drive as your first racquet...
Do not use a Pure Drive, ever..
But that's just my opinion...
Get something that's a less powerful frame, and that you can grow into while you develop your strokes.
And get the heaviest racquet you can handle...

So you're against the PD line completely? Why?

JackB1
08-26-2009, 06:58 AM
The Prince White or SP White has similar power to the Pure Drive. Not sure why someone would recommend those over a PD? They are almost the same.

I would maybe go for something a touch lighter to start with maybe a OS head. The Speedport Red or the Hornet Hybroid OS would be perfect.

CzechM8
08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Some friends of mine started with the Pure Drive and it doesn't seem to have hurt them.
But have you discussed the issue with your coach? He's the one who should be able to tell whether your game can benefit from the racquet switch.

jmmtn4aj
08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm currently playing with two OS heads which haven't been restrung in years, so it pretty much feels horrible playing with them :p My point of comparison was one of my coach's racquet, a 90-something sq inch Prince which I loved so I'd like to try a smaller head-size. I think any racquet would be an improvement over the ones I have now, the only question is which one would be a bigger improvement :)