PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive (whichever version) vs Wilson ProStaff Classic 6.1

Hidious
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I know what you're thinking; you can't compare apples with bananas... One is an old-school classic, the other is a modern success. We're talking about a heavy player's stick versus a rather light customizable racquet. 95 sq/in vs 100 sq/in.

But hey, i'm actually serious here; both racquets are classics in their own ways and always have been extremely popular on the tennis scene. They also still are played by many professionals. Spec-wise and from what i've read, they both are very stiff (rated 70) and powerful weapons. Both have very open 16x18 and 16x19 stringbeds which makes them spin monsters.

Now, not considering the weight as a factor, do these babies actually share some similarities in terms of playability? Judging from the above listed similarities, I just can't see these two being total opposites. After all, stiff, powerful and spin friendly can't play THAT much different from stiff, powerful and spin friendly ! If that's indeed the case, what detail(s) makes them so different?

Finally, for those who have played both, which one was/is your choice?

Cloud Atlas
08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
do these babies actually share some similarities in terms of playability?

No. There are plenty of other posts that point out the differences.

Hidious
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Could you maybe point me out to a couple of those post? I've serach plenty but the impossibility to use the terms "PD" and "6.1" in the search engine certainly did not help.

vivekmari
08-25-2009, 09:52 AM
PD's at least the GT is packed with lot of power. I recently switched from head radical to PD gt. after 5 hrs of play.. i am still trying to get used to it.

Hidious
08-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, PDs are powerful, we know that. But 6.1s Classics also have plenty of power as far as i know.

Please, someone enlighten me. Even just a little hint on where to look would be great.

GinoGinelli
08-26-2009, 12:34 AM

fuzz nation
08-26-2009, 07:37 AM
I grew up a serve and volley player on grass courts and the 6.1 Classic has been unsurpassed for me in that role. That combo of heft, head-light balance, and relative stiffness gives me nice pop, stability, great bite on the ball, and tremendous touch and feel. In the heat of serious close quarters combat during heavy doubles, this is a racquet that can also let me cruise up front with some authority and put some teeth in my serve. I wouldn't classify my present skill set as especially modern or old school, but as I became more of an all court player at the 4.0 level looking to get more solid at the baseline, I looked at all sorts of racquets.

Frames with more flex along with the same sort of heft and balance proved to be better for controlling my strokes while still raising hell up at the net and I've been having a lot of fun with the Volkl C10's. Since I'm used to the inherent stability of a heavier racquet, I've never been too comfortable hitting with a frame much lighter than maybe 12.3-12.4 oz.

Looking at the games of some of the younger sluggers I've met and coached here and there, I've gotten a better understanding of the more modern game and its strokes that are based on more angular contact. For many of these players, a racquet like the Pure Drive can be an ideal option because it's stiffness and more moderate weight can deliver both pop and spin from higher racquet head speed. To reproduce the same strokes with a frame like the 6.1 Classic, I think a player would need to swing a rather heavy stick pretty hard over and over - maybe not the best option for everyone who hits the ball in that style.

Both of these frames can be a great match for certain players depending on how they want a racquet to perform. I'd say that despite some similarities, they occupy their own spots in the gear spectrum and hopefully all these different sorts of frames will remain available down the road. I don't want everyone to use my racquets just because they work for me, but if I were forced to use only a PD for the next few years, it would be an ugly transition!

I also love coffee...