PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Head LM Radical MP

TOM
08-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Hello everybody!

It seems that I don't have a lot of power from baseline and my serve with the racquet. I tried to string it with lower tension but didn't help much. Adding lead tap increase power but make me feel not good at net. I also feels tired after playing for long time (say 3 hours or more). Is that racquet too heavy for me? If I am to look for another, what would you suggest?

I am 34, about 4.0 rating. I usually play doubles, so need to play both net and baseline. Prefer standard length, small headsize, 16x19 string pattern.

Regards,
Nghia

10s4fun
08-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Hello everybody!

It seems that I don't have a lot of power from baseline and my serve with the racquet. I tried to string it with lower tension but didn't help much. Adding lead tap increase power but make me feel not good at net. I also feels tired after playing for long time (say 3 hours or more). Is that racquet too heavy for me? If I am to look for another, what would you suggest?

I am 34, about 4.0 rating. I usually play doubles, so need to play both net and baseline. Prefer standard length, small headsize, 16x19 string pattern.

Regards,
Nghia

What grip size is the racquet?

ak47m
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
How much lead tape and where did you put it? If you want power and spin in a light-weight stick, I would really demo a Pure Drive unless it's too different for you.

TOM
08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
How much lead tape and where did you put it? If you want power and spin in a light-weight stick, I would really demo a Pure Drive unless it's too different for you.
I put about 3 g at 2 and 10 o'clock at the head (1.5 g each). I will demo a pure drive to see but I would like to stick with heavier one (about the radical or a bit less) if there is any can make the difference. As to the grip size, I use 4 1/4.
Any other helps are much appreciated.

Meaghan
08-26-2009, 01:46 AM
I do think those Rads are really underpowered and they need lead esp the LM and thats why you are getting tired.
You want a slightly more powerful racket, same spec, more spin and power, great for doubles, easy to use, there's only 1 choice.
Prince Speedport 03 White.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PSP03W.html

furyoku_tennis
08-26-2009, 02:26 AM
I put about 3 g at 2 and 10 o'clock at the head (1.5 g each). I will demo a pure drive to see but I would like to stick with heavier one (about the radical or a bit less) if there is any can make the difference. As to the grip size, I use 4 1/4.
Any other helps are much appreciated.

you might want to add some lead to the handle to even out the balance. I'm thinking that the balance on your radical is either even or head heavy and that's why its causing you to feel like its heavier. see how a bit of lead in the handle feels first. it could save you a lot of trouble.

TOM
08-26-2009, 06:12 AM
you might want to add some lead to the handle to even out the balance. I'm thinking that the balance on your radical is either even or head heavy and that's why its causing you to feel like its heavier. see how a bit of lead in the handle feels first. it could save you a lot of trouble.
Thank you very much for excellent suggestions.
I will add some weight to the handle. How much weight do you think if I already added 3 g at 2&10?
For Prince Speedport O3 White, I heard that Speedport do not have good feel, which is also important to me. Does Prince EXO3 have similar stick?

Meaghan
08-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Thank you very much for excellent suggestions.
I will add some weight to the handle. How much weight do you think if I already added 3 g at 2&10?
For Prince Speedport O3 White, I heard that Speedport do not have good feel, which is also important to me. Does Prince EXO3 have similar stick?

I dont think there is that much of a feel issue IMO to the speedport white. The ozone tour is great too and IMO has great feel.
I never thought but the Rebel team may be a good choice. Ive got the normal Rebel and it has great feel, spin and power.
It has string hole inserts that give better feel too.

As for customising an LM, I do this for a few of our club juniors and adults with this racket. I find 20g at top of the handle under grip and a few gramms at 10 and 2 raises the sweetspot and adds stability and plow thro. It also makes the racket feel lighter than its stock weight even tho its much heavier.

KFwinds
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
20g ??? Isn't that like 40 inches of lead? How do you get that much lead concentrated around the top of the handle?

GS
08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
A friend of mine wanted a new racquet and went from the LM Radical to the Wilson KBlade pretty easily---the KBlade 98 has similar specs. My buddy opted for the 93 sq in head though, in the end.
Like they say, demo demo demo. Epecially with TW's easy Demo program.

TOM
08-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I dont think there is that much of a feel issue IMO to the speedport white. The ozone tour is great too and IMO has great feel.
I never thought but the Rebel team may be a good choice. Ive got the normal Rebel and it has great feel, spin and power.
It has string hole inserts that give better feel too.

As for customising an LM, I do this for a few of our club juniors and adults with this racket. I find 20g at top of the handle under grip and a few gramms at 10 and 2 raises the sweetspot and adds stability and plow thro. It also makes the racket feel lighter than its stock weight even tho its much heavier.
Ok, will add some weight into the handle. Probably 10-15 g is best for me, 20 g is way too much for my taste I am sure ;-)
Regards!

TOM
08-26-2009, 11:14 PM
A friend of mine wanted a new racquet and went from the LM Radical to the Wilson KBlade pretty easily---the KBlade 98 has similar specs. My buddy opted for the 93 sq in head though, in the end.
Like they say, demo demo demo. Epecially with TW's easy Demo program.
Thanks GS. It looks good in specs too. Let me add some weight as other suggested first then will demo new one. I really like the feel of LM Rad so let me see if I can still keep it.

Meaghan
08-27-2009, 02:48 AM
20g ??? Isn't that like 40 inches of lead? How do you get that much lead concentrated around the top of the handle?

NO!!! you must have some really light lead!

drgolder
08-27-2009, 05:39 AM
I know you said you want a smaller head, but if you will try the oversize radical, it sounds like it will do what you are looking for.

fuzz nation
08-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Lots of racquets out there to check into, but one that may be a perfect alternative for you is the Volkl DNX 9. For what you seem to be looking for, I'd expect this racquet to outperform your LM Radical "no problemo".