PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if grip is too small / big?

JackB1
08-25-2009, 06:13 AM
I have been demoing a lot of racquets lately and my "measured" grip size is a 4 1/2". But when I play with 4 3/8, it doesn't feel much different. With a 4 1/2 there is room for slightly less than the width of my index finger. With 1 overwrap it is near perfect. The 4 3/8 grips give me about 1/2 a finger's width in between.

So how do you tell when a grip "feels right"? The 4 1/2 and 4 3/8 "feel" the same to me when I play. I don't really notice a difference. Should I just stay with the textbook size for me or use a little smaller for more wrist action?

jwbarrientos
08-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Many threads around, also check TW university, good explanation right there.

In case of doub, select the smaller one.

Leoboomanu
08-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Here's some tips:

1. it feels pretty loose when gripped lightly during serves.
2. it doesn't twist too much in your hand when holding tightly during volleys.
3. it is comfy enough to whip on forehands.
4. you don't feel pain in hand/wrist after 1 hour hitting.

and as you described, holding SW, half to 3/4 an index finger space is OK.

so IMO go with the 4 3/8...

Peace

wyutani
08-25-2009, 06:44 AM
smaller grip, more spins and angels...but use the most comfortable of course mate'...

JackB1
08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I forgot to add.......when I measure with ruler, as shown on the TW page,
it measures between 4 1/2" and 4 3/4".

honz
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Just use whatever feels better and most comfortable. As long as it soesn't twist in your hand and negatively effect your play, any grip size is fine.

dadozen
08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
The only person able to tell you if the grip size is too big is yourself.

You just have to feel comfortable with whatever you use. For example, my measured gripsize should be 1/4.

But I've always used 3/8 with an OG on top of the replacement grip.

I can't do that anymore, so I'm using 3/8 racquets with only the replacement grip.

Sometimes I even feel that this is a tad large, so I'm thinking about sanding it down to something between 1/4 and 3/8. But 1/4 is just too thin for me, although it is what I should theotically use.

Some people like bigger grip sizes, because they add stability to the strokes. Others like smaller grip sizes, which help wrist action and spin production.

It all comes down to personal taste. Try them out.

But, as said before, if you're doubtful, get a smaller grip size, it's always easier to build it up than trying to reduce it.