PDA

View Full Version : $1,000 grant

tennismom42
08-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Hmmm, so I saw this on the scholarship website I scour daily. Seems like some tennis kid could/should exist that volunteers at an after-school program?? Good luck!

Provided By: Do Something
Deadline: September 15, 2009
Type of Award: Grant
Amount: $1000
Awards Available: 15
Description: The Do Something After School Grants are available to students, age 25 or under, who are social entrepreneurs. Do Something and JCPenney have teamed up to support youth-led after school programs and projects across the country. This fall, we're giving out 10 $500 grants and 5 grand prize $1,000 grants to young people who are providing after school activities that help youth in their community. Each winner will also receive a limited-edition Flirtitude Tote.
Applicable Majors: Unspecified

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Sorry... This would require effort.

theenrighthouse
08-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry... This would require effort.

Lol. 10Char.

deddied
08-25-2009, 06:17 PM
maybe i shoould look into this if work over 100 hours of community service.

goober
08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
maybe i shoould look into this if work over 100 hours of community service.

If you like to volunteer that is fine. But if you need the money just get a part time job. If you were working 100 hours at a part time job, you could make $800-1,200 of guaranteed money versus applying for something you may or may not get.

tennismom42
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
If you like to volunteer that is fine. But if you need the money just get a part time job. If you were working 100 hours at a part time job, you could make $800-1,200 of guaranteed money versus applying for something you may or may not get.

You don't have to pay back grants. It's difficult enough to go to college, take a full load PLUS play your college sport. Who has time to also get a job while playing a sport in college with 15 - 18 credit hours??!!

SoCal10s
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM
You don't have to pay back grants. It's difficult enough to go to college, take a full load PLUS play your college sport. Who has time to also get a job while playing a sport in college with 15 - 18 credit hours??!!

I did,took classes at night.. way back when... stopped working after seeing a co-worker cut his finger(thumb) off... the part time job was 5X the minimum wage but too hazardous ...

goober
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM

If you read the website you linked the money is to be spent funding "Projects started by young people who are providing after school activities that help youth in their community. " The requirements clearly state the money is for existing projects.

Setting up a project like this is not a small task. You could set one up and get it going, spend a lot of time on it and not get the funding. If the college athletes are so busy exactly how are they going to do this?

There are a lot of ways for college tennis players to make money without doing a regular job. You can string racquets on the side, people will pay to hit with good colllege players, during the summers you can teach.

deddied
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM

ohh i should get it cause if u have more than a hundred hours of community service and get a 1270 or higher on the SAT (dont know the requirements of the ACT) u can get a full scholarship to any college in florida. (this is for florida residents)