PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape Question

Topspin24
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
If I use a racket thats about 10.4 oz, how much lead where fo i need to put it on to make it about 11.4 oz and change the balance from 3pts HL to 5pts HL?

Topspin24
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Can I get someone to do this for me so i don't have to worry about it?

JavierLW
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
If I use a racket thats about 10.4 oz, how much lead where fo i need to put it on to make it about 11.4 oz and change the balance from 3pts HL to 5pts HL?

Well the "how much" is easy.

If you want a 10.4 oz racket to weight 11.4 oz, then you add 1 oz of weight.

You'll probably have to break it up and place it in different spots and experiment to get the balance you want, 1 full oz is too heavy to just stick all in one spot and expect only a 2pt change in balance.

Swingweight will vary DRASTICALLY.... No getting around that....

JavierLW
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Can I get someone to do this for me so i don't have to worry about it?

not you again! Werent you the same math challenged person who wanted this before?

If you cant figure out the simple math then you probably should just buy a new racquet.

If you want someone to do it for you, then Im sure they'd be happy to even put the lead tape on there if you paid them enough.

Im not giving away my amazing skills of mathematics (I can divide and multiply....) for free.

dadozen
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
As for how much, you'd need around 112 inches of 1/4 inch wide lead tape to get that extra 1 oz.

Try the TW University tool to find the lead tape locations in order to get the SW and balance you're looking for.

Topspin24
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
This is actually my first time asking about lead tape, and I don't have problems doing math. I was asking if someone could do it for me that has more experience with lead tape distribution so I get it right the first time.

tennisegg
08-25-2009, 12:45 PM
To make something more head light, you would put the weight away from the head, or towards the grip end. One way you could try increasing weight without using lead tape would be to regrip your racquet with a leather grip. I'm not too familiar with how much weight that would add, but it will make it more head light also. If someone else can confirm if that's not enough, then when you're changing grips, you can take lead tape, hammer it down a bit to flatten it some more, and stick it against the bare handle and put the leather grip over that when regripping. This would do the trick. You could also open the butt cap and fold up lead tape and put it inside the handle. Either method works. Then again, if someone could confirm how much a leather grip would change, that might be one way to go.

Topspin24
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I realize that applying one oz of lead tape sounds easy but how many grams is that and where would i distribute the lead. I was thinking about .25 of an oz at 6 o'clock and the rest of the oz on the handle. About how much would that change the balance if the tape I put on is all along the handle? I read that the closer it is to the tip the more the balance would change but I don't want to much change...only about 3 more points head light.l

Wizard of id
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I realize that applying one oz of lead tape sounds easy but how many grams is that and where would i distribute the lead. I was thinking about .25 of an oz at 6 o'clock and the rest of the oz on the handle. About how much would that change the balance if the tape I put on is all along the handle? I read that the closer it is to the tip the more the balance would change but I don't want to much change...only about 3 more points head light.l

As has been mentioned before, there's a TW university tool that will tell you exactly where to place it.

tennisegg
08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
1 oz = 28.3495 grams

From what I know, putting lead at 6 o'clock changes the balance minimally. I guess what you could do is first put a little in the head area, and then put the rest inside the handle by opening the butt cap? That way, you could put lead into the handle at increments and use a scale and a make-shift balance measurer to see how close you're getting to your desired weight and balance with each piece. The balance point should be about 12.88 inches for 5 points head light I think.

rich s
08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
place 1 oz of lead 3.2 inches below the mid point of the racket.....this will result in the desired 11.4 oz and 5pt head light.

You can divide it up between the left and right side of the frame but that's a lot of lead to be putting on a frame.

Your swingweight will go up 7 kg-cm^2 as a result assuming a 27" racquet....8 kg-cm^2 for a 27.5" racquet

Topspin24
08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
So i could put like 12 grams at 2 and 10 and 16 grams on the handle and that would give me the weight I want and a slightly more HL balance?

furyoku_tennis
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
best thing to do is experiment with it and find out for yourself.

vtdownhiller
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
how many grams in the handle will make an effective change of 1 point HL?

Topspin24
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The reason I asked this is that I switched back to my old Six.Two because the 6.1 killed my elbow but I am still searching for rackets to use. And in the meantime i need to make that stick a bit heavier, i'm looking at the
Kobra tour
Ksurge
Youtek speed (16x19)
Aeropro drive cortex
I want a stick with good control, spin, and provides some power but the surge and cortex need a bit more weight for me so I asked to know where to put weight to make a racket heavier without changing balance too much.

furyoku_tennis
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
what kind of weight range were you looking at? low 12oz or mid 11 oz? if you don't mind the flexy upper hoop, definitely give the c10 pro a try.

rich s
08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
best thing to do is experiment with it and find out for yourself.

if you want to waste time....

determine what weight and balance you want and calculate the mass and location required to achieve it.

furyoku_tennis
08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
if you want to waste time....

determine what weight and balance you want and calculate the mass and location required to achieve it.

of course you want to have an idea of where to put the lead tape, but specs alone don't always tell you how the racquet will play. sometimes its best to go in the general direction and then fine tune it by experimenting. i wouldn't suggest adding lead tape on randomly and seeing how that goes. that would be a waste of time.

rich s
08-25-2009, 06:15 PM
of course you want to have an idea of where to put the lead tape, but specs alone don't always tell you how the racquet will play. sometimes its best to go in the general direction and then fine tune it by experimenting. i wouldn't suggest adding lead tape on randomly and seeing how that goes. that would be a waste of time.

I could agree with that :)

JavierLW
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The reason I asked this is that I switched back to my old Six.Two because the 6.1 killed my elbow but I am still searching for rackets to use. And in the meantime i need to make that stick a bit heavier, i'm looking at the
Kobra tour
Ksurge
Youtek speed (16x19)
Aeropro drive cortex
I want a stick with good control, spin, and provides some power but the surge and cortex need a bit more weight for me so I asked to know where to put weight to make a racket heavier without changing balance too much.

the nSix.Two?

I used those for 3 years.

I eventually added about a full ounce of weight to it.

Probably about 4 grams right on the throat, and the rest right under the replacement grip.

Making the racquet more head light probably is never a problem, but if you are not used to the extra weight it could still take a day or so to get used to the increase in swingweight.

Id recommend NOT putting any weight above the throat (or 6'oclock) on that racquet.

It's already a fairly stiff racquet with a nice sweet spot. Ive felt better plowthru by putting weight at 6oclock, but whenever I put weight above that it changed the balance of the racquet way too much and it wasnt necessary.

After 3 years and 1 full ounce of weight, I decided I had to ditch those racquets. 1 ounce of lead tape is a LOT!!!!