PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT vs Head MicroGel Radical Pro

Tipsy
08-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Bit of an interesting comparison here, but I am interested to here your thoughts guys. Which do you think is the better racket? Has anyone played with both?

KarmaKorps
08-25-2009, 07:31 PM
The Pure Drive Roddick gets my vote.

I had two Microgel Radical Pros (MRPs) and played with them for over a year. I decided to sell them after demoing my friend's Pure Drive Roddick.

The MRPs were great rally sticks, decent at net, and excellent for kick serves. I would say control was a bit above average. But for me, the Rad Pros were just too unstable. It's surprising how this racquet gets pushed around at 11.6 oz strung.

While the thin beam width does feel great in your hands, I found offcenter hits happening more often than you'd expect, given the large head size (i.e. surprisingly small sweetspot).

The PDR has more stability for sure, and a noticable increase in power; But the power is tamed a bit due to the very easy access to spin. The PDR was absolutely born to serve, and its stiffness and stability make it excellent for service returns. These two areas are huge for me, and pretty much define much of the divide between 4.0 and 5.0, in my experience.
I will say that lobs and touch shots are noticably worse with the PDR, but this is supposedly addressed in the GT version, according to what I've read - i.e. more feel, and better stability).

Last but not least, I really feel as though lead tape experimentatin might have helped my Rad Pro experiences. I think a bit of lead at 3 and 9 (and maybe a tad at 12 o clock) might have really brought out the best of the Radicals.

Good luck in your decision, should you buy one of these sticks...

Tipsy
08-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the great insight, it's extremely helpful.

Anyone else have any more views?

Tipsy
08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Gave the Pure Drive Roddick GT a demo today and I have to say I was extremely impressed. As you would expect the topspin on the groundstrokes was there in spades, but more importantly for me, it was brilliant to serve with. I think this has to be the best stick for serves. I could happily hit serves all day with this thing. I'm definitely leaning towards the Babolat.

kanjii
08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
How is it different from the original PDR? Less stiff? More power?