PDA

View Full Version : Gosen OG Micro

dantesinferno18
08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
anyone have any reviews about it how does it compare to psgd or Babolat super fine play?

Nanshiki
08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
All syn guts are basically the same thing... pick a gauge and a color. Some are softer or stiffer but that's about it.

skyzoo
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
All syn guts are basically the same thing... pick a gauge and a color. Some are softer or stiffer but that's about it.
Wrong Gosen is the top synth for the money. The natural 17 gauge is amazing and has great durability for a 17. I've gone through two reels and even though i have the money, wouldn't dare spend money on more expensive synths.

Lakers4Life
08-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Gosen OG SM 17 is rated one of the Price for Performance strings out there. Only second to Ashaway MonoGut 17.

PSG original 16 also made the top 5, but Gosen has better spin potential than PSG.

rich s
08-25-2009, 06:37 PM
anyone have any reviews about it how does it compare to psgd or Babolat super fine play?

plays a little bit (but not much) softer than psgd........IMO

haven't every played with BSFP so I can't compare.

Nanshiki
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Wrong Gosen is the top synth for the money. The natural 17 gauge is amazing and has great durability for a 17. I've gone through two reels and even though i have the money, wouldn't dare spend money on more expensive synths.

No, you're wrong. You've found the synthetic gut that you like the best and have just assumed that it's better than others. Every synthetic gut is *basically* the same thing... but everyone has preferences. Just try them out till you find one you like, at a price you're willing to pay...and is also available in reels, if you prefer reels.

You don't find much of a difference in quality of string until you cross from tournament nylon into 'synthetic gut,' and then into multis, polys, natural gut. But there's a reason why all syn guts are basically the same price (between four and five dollars), while natural gut, polys, and multis very wildly in price. A poly could be $1 a set, or it could be $14 a set. Nat gut could be $10 a set (zBay stuff) or $42 a set. A multi can be $7 or it can be $20...

The_Question
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
No, you're wrong. You've found the synthetic gut that you like the best and have just assumed that it's better than others. Every synthetic gut is *basically* the same thing... but everyone has preferences. Just try them out till you find one you like, at a price you're willing to pay...and is also available in reels, if you prefer reels.

You don't find much of a difference in quality of string until you cross from tournament nylon into 'synthetic gut,' and then into multis, polys, natural gut. But there's a reason why all syn guts are basically the same price (between four and five dollars), while natural gut, polys, and multis very wildly in price. A poly could be $1 a set, or it could be $14 a set. Nat gut could be $10 a set (zBay stuff) or $42 a set. A multi can be $7 or it can be $20...

What a load of crap. Stop giving out false info and passing it around...

Nanshiki
08-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Prove me wrong.

diredesire
08-25-2009, 11:07 PM

In a basic sense, your logic would carry over to polys, gut, etc. Yes, the price range is bigger, but per dollar, the deviance isn't necessarily that much bigger (percentage-wise). If we're talking construction, yes, many syn guts are extremely similar in construction. A single nylon filament with several smaller filaments as a wrap. OK, cool.

Moving on to polys, you basically have an extruded piece of plastic (polymer). More or less identical, perhaps with some added polymers, orwhat have you (compared to synthetic guts, you have some with kevlar wraps (duraflex), some with texture added (larger nylon based wraps)). Variance is comparable. In a multi, you have the same basic construction, although the variance is much higher. You can have different types of filaments (polyolefine ribbons, polyeurethane, polyester, nylon, etc). This category has a lot of room for play, IMO. Natural guts are all made out of the same "material," and are all made from strands. How come people are willing to pay more for babolat?

Just because a synthetic gut is a more simple type of string (construction-wise), it's a little bit hasty/dismissive to say they all play the same. Simply put, they don't all play the same, there are differences, and if you're not the sensitive type, that's fine, but you shouldn't make claims of opinion as fact. (IMHO, of course).

As far as the OP: As a previous poster said, Gosen OG micro is one of the best values in the string industry. Performance for the buck is excellent. I'd categorize it as a medium-firm string, I wouldn't exactly call it crisp, but it's definitely not mushy. Prince SG w/ DF is more of a "crisp" string, although some out there would call it harsh. Durability per gauge is pretty similar between the two. The DF has very small kevlar (aramid) wraps, which supposedly increase the durability, but I don't find that it has much of an impact. Duraflex is also known to have "color variance," which means the different colors of the string also have subtle differences in the way they play. I like the optic yellow, for instance, but I find that the gold version of the string plays much more harsh (17g reference). The white is one of the softer of the colors, I haven't experimented TOO much with the other colors, though.

Compared to the SFP, I think the Gosen is significantly more durable (although, if you're a big string breaker, these are all going to perform roughly the same), and the gosen is also more firm. SFP is a soft, bouncy feeling synthetic gut. I'd say the spin potentials (per gauge) of the SFP versus Gosen are roughly the same, but the DF is the best in that category.

In terms of tension maintenance, I find they all perform acceptably well, because I'll tend to break them before they start playing like crap.

Also, i have to (respectfully) disagree with L4L, I don't think the Ashaway Monogut is a very good value at all, but that subject can be covered in an entirely different thread (Also, i'm curious where you found these ratings?)

Cliff's notes: The OGSM reels are a no brainer value, buy a reel of each and forget about it. There used to be "non-generic" reels, and I strongly believe that they (used to, at least) be different strings. (For those of you who are convinced they are the same, why isn't the 17g offered in a WHITE color? The older, non-generic reels were, and they weren't offered in the amber, either.)

For reference: I felt the older non-generic reels played softer, and more resilient-ly than the generic. Extremely, extremely comfortable strings, durability was on the low side, and spin potential was slightly lower, as well. Both excellent strings, I preferred the non-generic in a "blind" test, but I will never argue with the value of the generic. It really IS a good string at a GREAT price!

Nanshiki
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I never said they all PLAYED the same, I said they were basically the same thing. This means that they will all play DIFFERENT but that does not mean that one will play BETTER. The differences in syn guts comes down to power, control, and feel but it's more about personal preference than any real difference in performance. The difference between, say, two polys will generally be much greater than the difference between two synthetic guts...

Although I do not suggest any sort of 'tournament' nylons... they tend to have rather poor performance although the price is excellent.

Point being, you should try a number of syn guts and stick with the one you like. But you shouldn't try every single one out there because you aren't going to get any performance boost. You're better off trying different hybrids, gauges, and string types.

diredesire
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I never said they all PLAYED the same, I said they were basically the same thing. This means that they will all play DIFFERENT but that does not mean that one will play BETTER. The differences in syn guts comes down to power, control, and feel but it's more about personal preference than any real difference in performance. The difference between, say, two polys will generally be much greater than the difference between two synthetic guts...

Although I do not suggest any sort of 'tournament' nylons... they tend to have rather poor performance although the price is excellent.

Point being, you should try a number of syn guts and stick with the one you like. But you shouldn't try every single one out there because you aren't going to get any performance boost. You're better off trying different hybrids, gauges, and string types.

Sorry, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. You can basically take any of your points, and turn it around the other direction (syn vs poly) and it would still make sense.

Yes, you never said they all played the same, but what's the point of saying they're all basically the same, if that's not what you're implying? If anything, the construction of a poly string is going to be more uniformly the same across different string types as compared to a syn gut. It's extruded! How come you can make the logical jump that polys will be more different in general than a syn gut? And yes, of course they will play different, and better is "real" in the sense that each player perceives their own definition of better, which is exactly the question of the OP in this thread. Instantly answering that all the syn strings are "basically the same thing" is both misleading and dismissive to the OP. (AKA: he is soliciting opinions and thoughts, why not give him what he is asking for, rather than giving him a rather unrelated answer? [we're assuming you ARE implying that they will play differently, which isn't how I read it])

I do actually agree with you that a poly string will have the potential to be more different from poly string to poly string, but if I relate your reason back to your reason-ING, it doesn't jive. It's not simply a matter of construction (as you say, syns are all basically the same thing), but material type. If we are to get specific and technical, many polys are lumped basically into a single "type" of string, when the composition of each poly is vastly different than the othe r(although, not construction).

You say: "The differences in syn guts comes down to power, control, and feel but it's more about personal preference than any real difference in performance." This applies to all string, IMO. And the "real" difference in performance is simply a user preference, like you said. That's the beauty of the strings and stringing section, we learn and judge based on (and with the help of) others' experiences. There doesn't need to be a strict right or wrong answer.

Point being, you should try a number of syn guts and stick with the one you like. But you shouldn't try every single one out there because you aren't going to get any performance boost. You're better off trying different hybrids, gauges, and string types.I think the real point (of this thread) is to compare 3 syn guts. I don't see a reason not to try every single syn gut if that's what you want. We, as a collective community like to push hybrids, gauges, tensions, types, but in the end, some people are happier with what they know and want :)

Also, I'd like to ask for a pardon on singling you out, I have no vendetta in this thread, nor against you. The S&S forum is one of my favorites on the board, and I like interesting discussions, and you bring up an interesting point of view.

Edit: I'd like to add the reasoning (from my POV) that the syns will be less variable: Nylon has specific grades, with varying tensile strength, softness, durability characteristics, but in general, nylon has a certain power level associated with it. If all syn gut strings are the same, the power "band" as I like to think of it will be pretty precise, with little (relative) variance from the average power level. Since co-polys, and polys are a vast, vast number of material types, you have a wider band, simply because two "polys" could be made of COMPLETELY different materials. (Polyester versus PEEK, Zyex, etc).

Nanshiki
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
The power band for syn guts *is* pretty narrow... some are stiffer because they have additives like Kevlar (Duraflex = Kevlar), or slightly different construction. But there's absolutely no point in trying every syn gut under the sun... there are hundreds. Just try a few of the good ones and pick the one you like.

The power band for polys is very wide, though... as is the amount of tension loss, etc.

Jakedasnake
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I totally agree with diredesire. Syn guts can vary, they're not all the same. And there is a difference between, say, PSGD and Gosen OG

Lakers4Life
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I strung up a Prince Controller OS with Gamma Synthetic mains and Gosen OG SM crosses. I had to do a two piece job anyways. It's loaner racket for my recreational players.

rasajadad
08-27-2009, 05:41 AM
I'll give you a BIG difference- the price! Gosen OG Micro= $30/reel. PSGD= $69.

The_Question
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
The power band for syn guts *is* pretty narrow... some are stiffer because they have additives like Kevlar (Duraflex = Kevlar).

Duraflex is not kevlar. Do a search on it, and you will find that statement incorrect.

Nanshiki
08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Kevlar, aramid fiber, tomayto, tomahto.

Point being is that PSGD is on the stiffer side (that I prefer) and a string like Forten Sweet is on the softer side.