PDA

View Full Version : when can I expect my luxilon alu big banger to loosen up, 18 x 20 at 60lbs

2ndServe
08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
used to hit with an former ATP player and had my rackets at 67 lbs kevlar mains and gosen syn crosses. I'm pretty strong with a 1hb and super loose arm, never muscling the ball on serves or groudies etc. Work got in the way and after years of not playing I ordered the head LM MP cause it was cheap and strung it with 60lbs luxilon.

Now my arm is starting to hurt a little and I've heard the luxilon loosens up fast but so far it still feels really tight. Now I've strung my rackets as high as 70lbs and mechanics aren't my problem. I'm wondering if a lot of people are having arm problems with luxilons? Because IMO I would be one of the last people I would think who would have arm problems. I'm wondering if it's the dense 18x20 pattern or the luxilon or both?

Nanshiki
08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
It will loosen up but it will never really 'get soft.' When the string it dies it will probably be even less comfortable as it will lose elasticity.

ryushen21
08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Lux dies fast and once it does, it is miserable to hit with. If you hit with any kind of power it is probably dead around the 5-6 hour mark and will start nailing your arm.

Lefty78
08-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Yeah, it should loosen up right about the moment it goes dead. Bummer.

tennisstrngdude
08-26-2009, 06:20 AM
It won't loosen. Restring. Use softer poly.

Steve Huff
08-29-2009, 04:41 PM
When it loosens up, it looses it's elasticity. That can be worse on your arm than when it was new and tight. I think you need to reconsider your strings.

ronalditop
08-29-2009, 04:55 PM
From my experience I know that first gen stiff polys in 18x20 racquets should be strung at around 50lbs to make the stringbed feel comfortable and to not give any arm problems. Ive tried 58, 56, 54, and now Im using 48 lbs and Im loving it. It doesnt feel harsh, has great feel and control, and doesnt make my arm hurt like when I used to string higher.

davidahenry
08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I play with full Lux Alu Power Rough at 58 lbs. in a POG MP. I get about 5 or six hours out of a set before it really starts to lose its playability. At that point, it gets to be tough on the arm. As long as I cut it out after about 5-6 hours, keep the tension reasonably low (58 - 59), and ice my arm after every match (preventive), my arm is doing just fine.

Take care.

DH

hoodjem
08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Not soon enough . . . if your arm is hurting.

jim e
08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I play with full Lux Alu Power Rough at 58 lbs. in a POG MP. I get about 5 or six hours out of a set before it really starts to lose its playability. At that point, it gets to be tough on the arm. As long as I cut it out after about 5-6 hours, keep the tension reasonably low (58 - 59), and ice my arm after every match (preventive), my arm is doing just fine.

Take care.

DH

Keep in mind David, you are not getting any younger(only in your mind), and there will be a day of reckoning, especially if you have to ice it down after each time. Eventually something will give since you had problems in the past. Maybe time to try and modify your game to a different string??Most stringers would certainly talk to you about that I'm sure. You have one of the best machines to string a racquet now, so why not try out some different strings that may be a little more comfortable, or just use a different string in the crosses to ease the shock a little.VS gut comes to mind!Now that you are stringing so much, you can spend a little more cash and put a good gut in the crosses and should still keep enough of the characteristics of the alu rough for you.

davidahenry
08-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Keep in mind David, you are not getting any younger(only in your mind), and there will be a day of reckoning, especially if you have to ice it down after each time. Eventually something will give since you had problems in the past. Maybe time to try and modify your game to a different string??Most stringers would certainly talk to you about that I'm sure. You have one of the best machines to string a racquet now, so why not try out some different strings that may be a little more comfortable, or just use a different string in the crosses to ease the shock a little.VS gut comes to mind!Now that you are stringing so much, you can spend a little more cash and put a good gut in the crosses and should still keep enough of the characteristics of the alu rough for you.

Hey Jim - good to hear from you.

I'm too stubborn for my own good and just am not willing to change my swing and string setup at this time. (I know I may pay for it later, but I guess I'm willing to risk it at this time.)

Last Winter, I tried a hybrid of Alu Power Rough mains and Tecnifibre NRG2 in the crosses. It felt nice and soft, and I had better touch on my volleys (but I don't volley much). My groundstrokes just really lacked that extra punch that I get from Alu. In fact, in a USTA match, I was playing with the hybrid and quickly got down 4-0. Frustrated, I switched to a stick that had full Alu, and I only lost two more games the rest of the match. From that point forward, I have stuck with full Alu.

I was having some arm trouble with full Alu, so I made some changes...

I reduced the tension from 62 lbs. to 58-59 lbs. I try to be pretty diligent about recording the number of hours of play on each string job, and I cut the strings out after about 5-6 hours. Upon recommendation from my chiropractor (who does a bunch of soft tissue work), I started wearing a tennis elbow brace, and I ice my arm after playing. Thus far, these changes have helped tremendously - no problems for about the past three months or so.

With all that said, I may try a new hybrid soon... Alu Power Rough mains and PSGD crosses. With PGSD being a fairly crisp syn gut, it might provide a similar feel to full Alu.

And... I should have known that you would suggest VS. :-) I'll try it in the crosses soon. While NRG2 is a nice, soft multi, it just lacked some punch in the crosses - punch that may very well be provided by VS.

I hope your stringing biz is going well. Mine is starting to really pick up - mainly through word of mouth. I was actually up in bed about 10:15 PM tonight when the doorbell rang unexpectedly. It was a customer dropping off two sticks - both needing string jobs and replacement grips. I'm glad I was still awake. :-)

Take care.

DH