PDA

View Full Version : Customizing My Racquet

murrmanfan13
08-25-2009, 07:12 PM
i have a youtek radical pro, and would like to customize it, but am not sure how i would accomplish what i want, or if it is possible to accomplish it. here are the specs for the racquet.

Head Size: 100 sq. in. / 645 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 11.6oz / 329g
Balance: 2pts Head Light
Swingweight: 345
Stiffness: 58

the things i want: i think the swing-weight is fine, but i would like to make it 1 or 2 more pts head light and i would like the sweet spot higher on the bed. it is also pretty flexy, so i would like it to be stiffer, or more torsional stability. also, would i benefit from having the strung weight higher? can i make the swing weight lower?

i am not sure how to go about this process. i would also want the swing-weight to stay as low as possible. thanks.

bsandy
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Remove grip.

Add 2 6" strips of lead tape to the 2 larger flat sides of the grip.

Reinstall grip.

. . . Bud

murrmanfan13
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
so thatll make it headlight, then would i add weight at the 2, 3, 6 and 9?

rich s
08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I think you need to shorten your list of desires or look for a new racquet.

first.....you can't make a racquet more stiff.....racquet stiffness is a function of its material properties, lay-up, beam, etc....

making a racquet more head light and increasing torsional stability are kind of tough to do simultaneously....you increase torsional stability by adding mass at 3 and 9 o/c but 3 and 9 are typically above the balance point so that added mass would make the frame more head heavy...

similarly for sweet spot....I think you need to add mass out toward the tip to move the sweet spot higher....this moves the balance point toward the tip making the frame more head heavy not head lighter.....

any addition of mass/weight will increase the swingweight.....

is the youtek rad pro the right frame for you?

rich s
08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Remove grip.

Add 2 6" strips of lead tape to the 2 larger flat sides of the grip.

Reinstall grip.

. . . Bud

that'll make it more head light, but doesn't do anything for torsional stability or moving the sweet spot higher.......

murrmanfan13
08-25-2009, 07:36 PM
its true, my list is just a bunch of things jumbled together. i love the frame, it has great plow through and i love how it plays. i might just leave it how it is at the moment. the only thing i find is the i hit the ball high on the bed and it feels a little weak. i think the way to fix that is 1. add weight too the 2 and 10 of more torsional stability and higher sweet spot. or 2. do that and and some in the grip to even out the balance. would this still do what i wanted if i kept the balance the same?

rich s
08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
both will increase the weight and SW but...

#2 would improve sweet spot and torsional stability and maintain balance better than #1.....

murrmanfan13
08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
alright, that sounds good.

murrmanfan13
08-26-2009, 06:10 AM
does the balance effect the swing weight? i could make my racquet nice and stable with a higher sweetspot that would be awesome and forget about HL, my only concern is i dont want my racquet feeling like theres a rock on my arm... so now this is my question. im fine with the weight of the racquet, but would it be tougher on my arm if i just added at the 2, 10 and made it head heavier, or do that and even it out on the grip. same scenarios as before.

Meaghan
08-26-2009, 06:37 AM
add 20g to top of handle under the grip this will bring your HL balance to about 8-10pts whilst also stiffening the racket. Add 5g each side of hoop at 10 and 2 to raise the sweet spot.
This will bring your static weight to about 360g but it will feel lighter.
Balance about 7pts HL.
SW will go up but not by much. Cant make SW lower as far as I know.

murrmanfan13
08-26-2009, 07:45 AM
hey thanks for the advice! so if i make it headlight it will feel lighter, and ill get the raised sweet spot and stability! thats awesome! would it be smart to only add like 15g to the handle to make it less head light? what would that do?

murrmanfan13
08-26-2009, 07:46 AM
o, and will the weight feel similar to the way it does now?

Meaghan
08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
hey thanks for the advice! so if i make it headlight it will feel lighter, and ill get the raised sweet spot and stability! thats awesome! would it be smart to only add like 15g to the handle to make it less head light? what would that do?

Yeah you could do, I only said 20g as with it being an even balance racket it feels heavier than it is so adding a fair amount of weight to the handle does make it feel lighter.
If you try to find some John Cauthen posts he talks about how important this area is (top of handle) for playing better tennis.
I customised a LM radical very similarly to what i said above and it worked really well, but I would experiment with the weight there until you find your spec.
Also dont make a judgement on just holding the racket. It may at first feel cumbersome, the proof is in the swing and actually hitting the ball. Most people if they can handle the weight say it does make a difference.
Also 1/4 inch strips of lead are the best, you can get rolls on the auction site.

Meaghan
08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a radical even balanced (315g strung) and it feels heavier than my Rebel 12pts HL (360g strung)

murrmanfan13
08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
if the racquet was head light, wouldnt the sweet spot move towards the grip?

murrmanfan13
08-26-2009, 02:55 PM
anyone????

vtdownhiller
08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a fischer granite 335 grams strung 8 points hl
I added 16 grams in 4" x 1/2" strips under the grip towards the end then added 4 4" x 1/4" strips at 3 and 6 on both sides of the strings bed..at this position swing weight isn't greatly effected ...torsional stability and the sweetspot are expanded in the direction where the lead is added....weight adds plow and less effort on swing as long as the racket is made HL you won't feel the extra weight....you may even end up with less tension on your stringbed as a result...my fischer is a flexy racquet and likes lower tension...

murrmanfan13
08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
ok, would it work the same for me if i added the weight at the 2, 10?

vtdownhiller
08-27-2009, 06:45 AM
ok, would it work the same for me if i added the weight at the 2, 10?

yes, but it would have a greater effect on swing weight the higher up the head the lead goes...bottom line...get some lead tape put it on go swing, move it around a little, put the tape on top of your grip to start and put on the over wrap, if you don't like it then unwrap the overwrap remove or add as needed and rewrap overgrip...I have a ball machine and played with this for 3 hours on a nice sunday afternoon....trial and error and experimentation are your friends here, the only thing you have to lose if 15.00 in lead tape

domhas1
08-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I have the YT Rad Pro also, and it did feel heavier than my MGP Pro before I leaded it...I have my MGP Pro weighted up to 358 grams and 8 pts HL...

My YT Rad Pro was originally a 4 5/8 grip, so I repalleted it down to 4 1/2 and put the leather grip back on, the leather grip weighs 22 grams...I use a Wilson Pro Overgrip and I added an additional 8 grams of lead inside the buttcap bringing the total weight of it to 340 grams and making it 6 pts HL...

If you don't want to increase the swingweight by much, you would want to add lead at the axis of rotation, which is generally about 4 inches above the buttend...

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 07:57 AM
i dont mind increasing the swing weight, i just want it to feel more solid when i hit the ball. so would i add weight in the buttcap to make it head light, and then go on from there?