PDA

View Full Version : Power Pads????

edman9898
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
:???:This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what power pads are for and have any pictures of them? I can honestly say I have never seen any and wonder if they actually do what they are designed to do. Also, where can I buy some if I were interested? I currently use an HPS 6.1 95 so I don't know if they would even apply to this racquet. Thanks!:confused:

NoNameZ
08-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey, Power Pads are just leather squares and you put them in when you string your racket. I heard it dampens a bit and acts like a woofer. I don't have pics sorry.

edman9898
08-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I liked the K 6.1 95 but thought it was too harsh (too much vibration). Power pads sound like the perfect remedy! Anyone know where to get them?

NoNameZ
08-25-2009, 07:03 PM
again, they're just leather squares. you can just cut some out. I've seen people cut them out from their old leather shoes. that's the usual suggestion around here.

furyoku_tennis
08-25-2009, 07:42 PM
here's a couple of helpful links:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=4950

edman9898
08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!!

supineAnimation
12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know of a substitute for leather with power pads? Call me a sissy, but I'm a vegetarian and I hate using leather. Thanks.

Seth
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know of a substitute for leather with power pads? Call me a sissy, but I'm a vegetarian and I hate using leather. Thanks.

Not all "leather" goods are real leather. Many cheaper belts and shoes from big retail stores use faux-leather, and they aren't all that expensive, either. That may work.

retrowagen
12-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Tofu pads, perhaps? :lol:

steve728
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I usually use the leftover piece from a leather replacement grip, so wouldn't some scrap pieces of a synthetic replacement grip (cut to size) serve the same purpose? My advice would be to make sure you get some of the "padding" that's on the inside of the syn. replacement grip, so the pad ends up being thick enough.

MAX PLY
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
If you are concerned about the fact that some are leather, synthetic grip material will work just fine as well (heck, you could probably use folded innertube rubber). FYI--they provide no "power" (I suspect that was a brand name from some time ago) and I suspect they provide little, if any, dampening. Originally, they were used on wood racquets to pad the string from the combination of the drilled hole on a wooden racquet and the sharp angle of a string.

agassi fan
12-25-2009, 09:28 AM
they stop some of the vibration

Lakers4Life
12-25-2009, 09:48 AM
I remember seeing a silicone or urethane version on some old rackets. It looked like a 1000mg pill capsule cut in half.

Though the leather should be thick enough, about 1/8th of an inch. Any hobby of crafts type store should have some leather strips or laces.

meowmix
12-25-2009, 11:22 AM
The point of the powerpads wasn't to provide "power" so much as to make sure that strings wouldn't break due to the intense angling of the grommets. They're not in use very much today, as modern rackets have been designed (usually) with much better string patterns that don't put too much pressure on any one part of the frame. If you want to try them, go for it, but they're not going to have much of any impact on your game.

mlewis721
12-25-2009, 01:21 PM
I remember seeing a silicone or urethane version on some old rackets. It looked like a 1000mg pill capsule cut in half.

Those are Lexan which is a virtually unbreakable plastic. They worked fine on the flat faced sides of a wooden racquet. On a modern racquet with aerodynamically curved features, it's rare that you'll have a surface that will support the flat underside of a Lexan power pad.