PDA

View Full Version : Best Sunblock?

LanEvo
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
hey guys, whats the best sunblock whihc seems to work for u? bc i recently found some new freinds to start playing tennis with, an dit sin 100 degree sunny heat, and i have went up like 3 shades just from playing thsi past weekend, anything reccomended would be great

akthe47
08-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I use some sport spray sunblocks. The cheapest seems to be at target (their up and up brand). Efficacy of sunblock seems to be hard to judge, although I figure if it has the same active ingredients, it should work the same, right?

You won't be able to prevent darkening of skin, however, if that is your goal. To do that, you pretty much have to avoid playing in the sun (playtime outside of 10a-4p).

joe sch
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I use some sport spray sunblocks. The cheapest seems to be at target (their up and up brand). Efficacy of sunblock seems to be hard to judge, although I figure if it has the same active ingredients, it should work the same, right?

You won't be able to prevent darkening of skin, however, if that is your goal. To do that, you pretty much have to avoid playing in the sun (playtime outside of 10a-4p).

The zinc oxide products are the best blockers

Fee
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
The zinc oxide products are the best blockers

Yep, that is the best ingredient for sun protection, but most people don't like it because it's thick and leaves white stuff on your skin (which is yet another reason why you should put it on before you get dressed and let it sink in and dry for ten minutes). If you are a heavy sweater, look for a sunscreen in a stick form with zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, or avobenzone.

This has been discussed so many times, I'm sure if you did a search you could find plenty of threads.

For brand names, try Bullfrog Sport, any Neutrogena product that is below SPF 70 and not a spray (irritating ingredients), and the Ocean Potion products if you can stand the smell.

LanEvo
08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
yea im definately not getting spray, not into that stuff, but lotion works best, so ill probably head to Target and check it out

LanEvo
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
so somethign like this ? http://www.target.com/Bullfrog-SPF-SuperBlock-Lotion-Sunblock/dp/B001PLOMJS/sr=1-5/qid=1251261619/ref=sr_1_5/183-9022900-9661207?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Asunblock&page=2

Fee
08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
so somethign like this ? http://www.target.com/Bullfrog-SPF-SuperBlock-Lotion-Sunblock/dp/B001PLOMJS/sr=1-5/qid=1251261619/ref=sr_1_5/183-9022900-9661207?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Asunblock&page=2

Yes, give that one a try. I suggest you buy it at night and put a little bit somewhere on your skin where it won't bother you too much to do a skin test. Some people react to stronger sunscreen ingredients. Your elbow might be a good place to try. You'll know within two hours if you're allergic or sensitive to it.

eagle
08-26-2009, 04:46 AM
The Target one as akthe47 mentioned is good. Studies have shown also that anything beyond SPF 35 only adds about 4% additional protection. So, there is really no need to spend more on SPF 75 or the like. Just make sure the necessary effective ingredients in the right amount are there.

If you want additional sun protection, then compliment the sunscreen with some or a combo of the following: a cap or a wide brim hat, white long sleeve DryFit type shirt, capri shorts ala pirate Nadal, and old school socks up high on the calves.

r,
eagle

goober
08-26-2009, 06:38 AM
The Target one as akthe47 mentioned is good. Studies have shown also that anything beyond SPF 35 only adds about 4% additional protection. So, there is really no need to spend more on SPF 75 or the like. Just make sure the necessary effective ingredients in the right amount are there.

If you want additional sun protection, then compliment the sunscreen with some or a combo of the following: a cap or a wide brim hat, white long sleeve DryFit type shirt, capri shorts ala pirate Nadal, and old school socks up high on the calves.

r,
eagle

I agree with the last part. No sunblock beats physcially covering the skin with cloth. If it were me, I would try to convince your friends to play at night or early morning.

eagle
08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Better yet, play indoors. :)

r,
eagle