PDA

View Full Version : I always play better in doubles than singles. Anybody else?

TennisNinja
08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I really don't know why, but in doubles my game is always on, and I rarely feel tight or get nervous. I just go out there and play my game. Singles it's a whole different story though. The biggest area where I notice this is in my returns. I don't do that well in singles but in doubles I just feel like I can rip my returns no matter what the serve. Basically my game is always on a higher level in doubles than singles and I can never figure out why.

It's not like I have a specifically doubles friendly game either. I'm really a baseliner with decent volleys, and a big serve so I'm not asking why I'm better at doubles, I just don't play like how I do in practice in singles as much.

DownTheLine
08-25-2009, 08:18 PM
For me it's the opposite. You don't get nervous because you have a partner and the outcome isn't all on you.

scraps234
08-25-2009, 08:55 PM
opposite for me as well but every now and then i agree

OHBH
08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
There are many reasons why this might happen.
A. you're better at net than baseline
B. lack court coverage/speed
C. feel more free because the burden is split with your teammate
D. in doubles you can play up the middle and worry less about sidelines so your groundstrokes have more margin.
E. you like to return crosscourt and can make more returns with the doubles alley
F. any combination from above

Dark_Angel85
08-25-2009, 10:30 PM
hmmm... let's see

bjorkman... mirnyi... bob bryan... mike bryan....

hehehhe

wyutani
08-25-2009, 10:32 PM
having a partner means half the workload.

TennisNinja
08-26-2009, 05:57 AM
hmmm... let's see

bjorkman... mirnyi... bob bryan... mike bryan....

hehehhe

No it's not that I'm better at doubles, it's that I'm always able to play my game as good as how I do in practice, compared to in singles sometimes where my game just goes downhill. I can play really well in singles it just doesn't happen as much.

eagle
08-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Opposite for me.

I play better in singles because I know I'm responsible for every ball. No second guessing in chasing down every one of them.

I also don't have to worry about my partner's positioning either, i.e., having a 10-12 ft side by side separation at all times to provide for optimum court coverage.

r,
eagle

OHBH
08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
No it's not that I'm better at doubles, it's that I'm always able to play my game as good as how I do in practice, compared to in singles sometimes where my game just goes downhill. I can play really well in singles it just doesn't happen as much.

Sounds like you are obviously better at doubles. Why fight it?
I'm sure the Bryans hit it just as clean in their singles mathches, they are just better in doubles.

TnsMan2
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I really don't know why, but in doubles my game is always on, and I rarely feel tight or get nervous. I just go out there and play my game. Singles it's a whole different story though. The biggest area where I notice this is in my returns. I don't do that well in singles but in doubles I just feel like I can rip my returns no matter what the serve. Basically my game is always on a higher level in doubles than singles and I can never figure out why.

It's not like I have a specifically doubles friendly game either. I'm really a baseliner with decent volleys, and a big serve so I'm not asking why I'm better at doubles, I just don't play like how I do in practice in singles as much.

You are Co-Dependent! next question?

TennisNinja
08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds like you are obviously better at doubles. Why fight it?
I'm sure the Bryans hit it just as clean in their singles mathches, they are just better in doubles.

I'm not fighting it, it's just that in real matches, I do better in dubs. In practice, I do just as well in singles as doubles. Like practice matches, drills, and games, I do equally well in both but come tournament time, it's different.

mcutilize
08-26-2009, 01:48 PM
ben time to man up

i play well in both

its just a head thing for u probably

beast22
08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
yeah same except im a hell of a lot better at doubles. My ranking is like 17 in doubles but 37 in singles

Dark_Angel85
08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Then, it's most probably just in your head... or probably the singles match ups you get aren't favourable to you... probably those who you play singles with cause you to get off your rhythm or outplay you compared to doubles? Possible eh?

... but even I don't face that, my coach a.k.a. dad always tells me how my doubles (in many many aspects of the gameplay) is way lousier compared to my singles games. hehehehe

TennisNinja
08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
ben time to man up

i play well in both

its just a head thing for u probably

Yep I'm such a nutcase. Dude HS tryouts.... So so so lame.

Mikey Fresh
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I feel i play much more consistantly in doubles because of someone else relies on me

Spyre
08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
It's exact opposite for me; I can never get in a grove with doubles: 's not hit to me enough :p

mrmo1115
08-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Overall, I have more titles in doubles and probably a better win-loss ratio. Don't know if that proves that I am better in doubles than singles though. But I am very comfortable playing doubles. Usually I know what type of player I need to play with to compliment my game..

RoddickAce
08-30-2009, 09:45 PM

That, I think is because you have more margin for error when playing doubles.