PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Ted Kennedy Dies at 77.

jamesblakefan#1
08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Massachusetts senior Senator Ted Kennedy passed away late Tuesday night after battling brain cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/26/obit.ted.kennedy/

Thoughts?

CanadianChic
08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
R.I.P. Mary Jo.

Bud
08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
He died so soon (exactly 2 weeks) after his sister... not many famous or well-known Kennedy family members remaining.

Godspeed :)

heycal
08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
He died so soon (exactly 2 weeks) after his sister... not many famous or well-known Kennedy family members remaining.

Pretty much zero of the original 9 children.

Might not have been a great person, but a fantastic senator who worked to do great things in this country. We were lucky to have his service to the USA.

Eph
08-26-2009, 03:24 AM
He lived quite a long time. Most people with that type of cancer only make it 6 months. Must be the new temozolomide.

hollywood9826
08-26-2009, 06:58 AM
No disrespect to Ted but he should not have been able to stay in the senate. So at least somebody can go in there able bodied and at least do somehting.

And while were at it I think they need to get Byrd out of there. If you pass out in your soup at presidential inaguration you should be immedialty and permantly removed from your position.

FuriousYellow
08-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Pretty much zero of the original 9 children.

The youngest daughter Jean is still alive.

fantom
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Now he'll be judged for what he did on Chappaquiddick Island.

Kevin T
08-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Glad he turned his life around and made a major contribution to his country. I was never a fan of his, thanks to Chappaquiddick, but at least he tried to reconcile those events with a life of service. Did anyone see Chris Matthews on the 'Today' show this AM? He gave this long-winded comment about how Ted took the civil rights mantle from his bros and took it to new heights, finally passing the torch to Prez Obama, who he called "the last (Kennedy) brother". I almost fell off the couch. Matthews gets harder to watch every minute. What melodrama!

pmerk34
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Glad he turned his life around and made a major contribution to his country. I was never a fan of his, thanks to Chappaquiddick, but at least he tried to reconcile those events with a life of service. Did anyone see Chris Matthews on the 'Today' show this AM? He gave this long-winded comment about how Ted took the civil rights mantle from his bros and took it to new heights, finally passing the torch to Prez Obama, who he called "the last (Kennedy) brother". I almost fell off the couch. Matthews gets harder to watch every minute. What melodrama!

Matthews cannot talk objectively about the Kennedys

Well neither can I as I find the Chappaquiddick story story repulsive as well as elements of many of the bills that bear his mark. I find so much much of his liberal legislation objectionable. as much as liberals revile the great Jesse Helms I equally revile Ted.

Dedans Penthouse
08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
R.I.P. Edward; thanks for your pubic service.

..and when I thing of (clueless to 90% of TT's Rants 'n Raves political 'expert' pundits)....your brother Bobby....

RFK's asassination by that great American scumbag Sirhan Sirhan....and...

..that other "great American's" efforts that evening (Rafer Johnson) being totally LOST on "91%" of today's Rants 'n Raves denizens ....

what if "Bobby" won the White House? (slam-dunk) ... young idealist in me? ... yes!...what if?... FU Hoffa et al...

sigh

But I digress: say 'hi' to Eunice Shiver "K-girl" Edward. And again: R.I.P. ...and thx.

boredone3456
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
R.I.P Ted. May not have been perfect, but frankly there is no sch thing as the perfect politician and there never will be. Dedicated to Health care and still serving despite your illness because your state needed you. Massachusetts is really going to be hurting in the long run because there is really no one here who is really ready to step up, well there is one person but we need her to stay attorney general.

AM28143
08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Ted Kennedy was, all in all, a pretty good guy. The most likeable, in my mind, of the Kennedy brothers.

Chappaquiddick, of course, was an inexcusable crime for which he should have received jail time. But, if atonement is possible for such a crime, Ted earned it. From 1982 onwards, after his presidential ambitious faded, Kennedy was an excellent senator who worked endlessly to improve the lives of disadvantaged Americans. Ted never reached a point of diminishing returns; he was as effective of a senator at 75 as he was at 55.

With the possible exceptions of LBJ and Henry Clay, Ted Kennedy’s accomplishments as a Senator are superior to anyone else's. He’ll be irreplaceable and, I hope, missed.

-Adam :)

heycal
08-26-2009, 11:57 PM
The youngest daughter Jean is still alive.

Surely. Pat and Rosemary could be kicking around too for all I know. My response of "zero" was in reference to the point that they aren't too many famous and well-known Kennedy's left of the original 9 children.

As the saying almost goes, Jean Kennedy Smith is no Jack Kennedy...

FedererForehand
08-27-2009, 04:35 AM
I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with old Teddy Kennedy :)

CCNM
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
He was 77??? I thought he was in his 80's-90's at the most. I hope he rests in peace. He had a pretty difficult life-watching family members die unexpectedly, the Chappaquidick thing, etc

heycal
08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
He was 77??? I thought he was in his 80's-90's at the most

Really? I thought he was in his 40's or 50's at the least.

rfprse
08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
It's a great loss to U.S. At least, it seems the common sentiment across the political spectrum. He is quite well respected even by his opponents.

FedererForehand
08-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Although politically I'm opposed to most of his views- I don't think its a reach to say that he had the biggest impact of any Kennedy on this country, even bigger than his brothers Jack and Bobby when you look at that the sum of his career.

You just don't find politicians like him anymore.

max
08-28-2009, 05:17 AM
R.I.P. Mary Jo.

Ouch!!!!!!!!

max
08-28-2009, 05:19 AM
I appreciate the man's mainstream liberalism, although he was a major figure in the abortion deathcamp. So a mixed legacy of humanism, IMHO.

Seriously ironic that he dies at exactly the same time as the healthcare issue gets debated. Years ago, Congressional Quarterly had a big special issue on national healthcare insurance, including serious Teddy legislative inputs. . . years ago! And that was in my old extemporaneous speaker's research box. The healthcare issue should've been dealt with long ago.

RD 7
08-28-2009, 07:47 PM
what if "Bobby" won the White House? (slam-dunk) ... young idealist in me? ... yes!...what if?... FU Hoffa et al...

Getting rid of the Kennedy brothers is the equivalent of getting rid of Reagan, Buckley, and Friedman. The progressives were stuck with LBJ, McGovern, and Carter -- 3 men who did not know how to "use the force".

Essentially, the Right got the matchup they needed for the Reagan Revolution: the Bulls without Jordan.

A match-up you would kill for.

pmerk34
08-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Getting rid of the Kennedy brothers is the equivalent of getting rid of Reagan, Buckley, and Friedman. The progressives were stuck with LBJ, McGovern, and Carter. Essentially, the Right got the matchup they needed for the Reagan Revolution: the Bulls without Jordan.

A match-up you would kill for.

LBJ destroyed Goldwater. He was a terrible match up for the right.

Nixon was barely on the right.

No one thought Reagan could beat Carter except until after the debates and it was close until the the final two weeks.

In retrospect they may look favorable but the only slma dunk at the time McGovern

RD 7
08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
LBJ destroyed Goldwater. He was a terrible match up for the right.

Nixon was barely on the right.

No one thought Reagan could beat Carter except until after the debates and it was close until the the final two weeks.

In retrospect they may look favorable but the only slma dunk at the time McGovern

True.

LBJ was a terrible match-up for the right because the country was still very much under the spell of the New Deal and Liberal Hegemony. Goldwater was pivotal because he put the South in play.

LBJ lacked the appropriate centrism. The Great Society and War on Poverty were one bridge too far. McGovern was too far left and Carter was a weak amorphous blob (who got energy right). I think the Kennedys, like Reagan, understood how to manipulate the Big Center in ways that their followers didn't. We will never know.

pmerk34
08-28-2009, 08:05 PM
LBJ lacked the appropriate centrism. The Great Society and War on Poverty were one bridge too far. McGovern was too far left and Carter was a weak amorphous blob (who got energy right). I think the Kennedys, like Reagan, understood how to manipulate the Big Center in ways that their followers didn't. We will never know.

LBJ only lacked a paddle to spank Goldwater in 1964 because that disastrous defeat haunted the GOP for decades.

Carter was weak but people weren't sold on Reagan until very late in that race.

If the economy was booming Carter would have won anyway as all presidents do for reelection in a good economy.

jrod
08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
The senior senator's plane just flew over my house leaving Massachusetts for the last time en route to Washington D.C. and his final resting place beside his older brothers in Arlington National Cemetery.

R.I.P. Teddy.

pmerk34
08-29-2009, 01:30 PM
True.

LBJ was a terrible match-up for the right because they had not yet turned liberal into a dirty word. History was on LBJ's side -- the country was still very much under the spell of the New Deal and Liberal Hegemony. Goldwater was pivotal because he put the South in play. The Civil Rights Movement made racism an electoral gold mine.

Worse: LBJ lacked the appropriate centrism. The Great Society and War on Poverty were one bridge too far. McGovern was too far left and Carter was a weak amorphous blob (who got energy right). I think the Kennedys, like Reagan, understood how to manipulate the Big Center in ways that their followers didn't. We will never know.

Liberal turned itself into a dirty word by the positions it started to take in the late 60's that had very little in common with the 1930's.

Fearsome Forehand
08-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Ted Kennedy was extraordinarily adept at buying votes with other people's money and at other people's expense. It is easy to be "generous" when you are paying the tab with other people's money. I suppose Ted was so left wing because he felt guilty for having been born into such fabulous wealth and to have had perhaps, the most wealthy, politically powerful and manipulative father on the planet. Joe P, the old man, was a real piece of work. But, at least, he bought votes with his own money.

I've always felt that someone who was truly serious about helping people would not spend any time in the US Senate, especially not 47 years. The US Senate, and national political office in general, seems much more about power trips, massive perks and self aggrandizement than helping others. Ted was handed a Senate seat at age 30 and never left the place. He loses major points for that in my book.

That being said, he was a real character and a heavy drinker for much of his life. But, by most accounts, he was a good guy on a personal level. And if not for Chappaquiddick, he may well have been elected President at some point. Scary thought.

Isn't it about time the people of Massachusetts had two non-Kennedy US Senators, at least in name. (Kerry was essentially anointed by Ted.) 57 years with a Kennedy at the helm is about 45 too long. Terms limits, and rules barring close relatives from assuming the same office seem so long overdue. I'm pretty tired on Kennedys, Bushes and Clintons myself. It is like having a monarchy of sorts. There is a much speculation that RFK's son, Joe, is going to run for Ted's seat. Is there no end to these people?

For all his shortcomings, BHO is a self made man. I give him credit for that. For that matter, so were Reagan, Bill Clinton, Carter, Truman, Ford, Nixon, Ike, and LBJ.

tomas9848
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
its really a shame. good man.