PDA

View Full Version : Gut notching/sawing through poly?

jamauss
08-26-2009, 12:05 AM
So I strung up my AG100 with 17g TF Black Code Mains at 56 lbs and VS Gut 16g crosses at 60 lbs - I like my crosses tighter to hold the mains in place, especially since the AG100 has a lot of string movement, IMO.

So this setup had about 10 hours on it - and the gut was still looking to be in great shape. A little bit of fraying here and there but not too bad. Then last night during some heavy hitting, *SNAP*.

I look down at my strings to find that the Black Code had broken, not the gut. Kind of surprising to me. So I check out the strings more when I get home to find that not only was the gut FAR from being ready to break anywhere, but that in about a dozen places, it had notched DEEP into the Black Code, and it looked like the Black Code was about ready to break in 5 different places.

Now I know that generally speaking, 17g strings are going to break sooner than 16g, but the gut looked like it was heavily sawing through the Black Code - this kinda surprised me, even despite the fact that Black Code is on the softer side, for being a poly.

My only thought as to why this occurred is perhaps because I like to straighten out my mains a lot whenever they move and get crooked. Does it seem possible to anyone reading this that that could be the case? Sliding the mains across the crosses to straighten them out causing major sawing through them? I've put a lot of different hybrids in my racquets before, and have never experienced the poly mains breaking before the crosses, and especially have never had poly break before gut in a hybrid.

I was actually a little disappointed that the poly mains broke because the gut crosses still looked to have quite a bit of life left in them. :(

Bud
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
So I strung up my AG100 with 17g TF Black Code Mains at 56 lbs and VS Gut 16g crosses at 60 lbs - I like my crosses tighter to hold the mains in place, especially since the AG100 has a lot of string movement, IMO.

So this setup had about 10 hours on it - and the gut was still looking to be in great shape. A little bit of fraying here and there but not too bad. Then last night during some heavy hitting, *SNAP*.

I look down at my strings to find that the Black Code had broken, not the gut. Kind of surprising to me. So I check out the strings more when I get home to find that not only was the gut FAR from being ready to break anywhere, but that in about a dozen places, it had notched DEEP into the Black Code, and it looked like the Black Code was about ready to break in 5 different places.

Now I know that generally speaking, 17g strings are going to break sooner than 16g, but the gut looked like it was heavily sawing through the Black Code - this kinda surprised me, even despite the fact that Black Code is on the softer side, for being a poly.

My only thought as to why this occurred is perhaps because I like to straighten out my mains a lot whenever they move and get crooked. Does it seem possible to anyone reading this that that could be the case? Sliding the mains across the crosses to straighten them out causing major sawing through them? I've put a lot of different hybrids in my racquets before, and have never experienced the poly mains breaking before the crosses, and especially have never had poly break before gut in a hybrid.

I was actually a little disappointed that the poly mains broke because the gut crosses still looked to have quite a bit of life left in them. :(

Black Code, like PLII is a very soft poly. The new generation of co-poly's have almost reached the point of a stiff synthetic gut in comfort and durability, IME.

I strung an APD with NG mains and PLII crosses (45# mains/40#crosses). I experienced no arm pain or discomfort with the setup... but next time definitely need to string it at a higher tension. It was more powerful than full NG at 45#. In this instance, the PLII didn't deaden the stringbed like a normal poly. I don't think the 10% tension reduction rule applies to these newest co-poly strings.

You may be able to save the NG for use as crosses or mains on an old woody, if you don't want to waste it. Just remount the frame onto the stringing machine and cut the NG out in one piece.

Keifers
08-26-2009, 12:23 AM
I love it!... The Revenge of Natural Gut!!! :twisted:

That'll show those upstart polys. :evil::cool::)

Love50
08-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I also use natural gut mains with poly crosses. In one particular setup, I had Tonic+ as the mains and Repulse/XPulse as crosses. The Repulse crosses are soft enough that they were hammered flat after about 20+ hours of play and eventually sheared. The mains were only light notched...

jamauss
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM
I also use natural gut mains with poly crosses. In one particular setup, I had Tonic+ as the mains and Repulse/XPulse as crosses. The Repulse crosses are soft enough that they were hammered flat after about 20+ hours of play and eventually sheared. The mains were only light notched...

I actually had the gut in the crosses and poly in the mains, so I didn't think the crosses would really cut through the mains, but they did.

monomakh
08-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I've had it work both ways - Black Code or Hex sawing through NG crosses in very short order and just this week had NG crosses go through the BC in under 8 hours. I moved locales, but same racquets, same setup, opposite results (in terms of string breakage... the durability was about the same).

Strange

zidane339
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Same thing happened with my PHT in the mains, and VS in the crosses