PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Yonex RQ 380

xolair
08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm getting back into tennis after a thirty-year hiatus. I had to put away my Yonex RQ 380 (Monica Seles' racquet before she was stabbed) and quit tennis after my freshman year in college in order to study to get into medical school. Now, at the age of 49, I have decided that life is too short not to play tennis. :)
My question is, I'm looking for a racquet that is similar to the RQ 380 in terms of power and feel, but which is head light instead of being head heavy. After so many years, this thing now feels like a club in my hand and I finally ended up with golfer's elbow this past weekend. My strokes are pretty good and I don't think it was the technique--rather, I wielded a hedge trimmer with one arm the entire weekend, and two hours of tennis on sunday night was the last straw that broke the camel's back--or gave me medial epicondylitis--to be more precise.
The RQ 380 is so old that I haven't been able to find the specs for it, even after calling Yonex USA. I would be willing to try another brand, but myriad of racquets out there confuse me. The Wilson K series don't have enough power for me, and my forehand flies everywhere with the Prince Composite 110 (another old racquet). I tried to use the racquet finder feature on the TW site but, without the specs for the RQ 380, I didn't get much helpful information.
Thank you in advance for your input.

dirtballer
08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Since you've used Yonex's in the past, maybe try the Yonex RQS 11. It's relatively light and has a half inch extended length. Also, it's not as demanding to use as the Yonex RD series.

xolair
08-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Thank you for your input. I read the reviews and the RQS 11 sounds like what I'm looking for--a head light racquet with power and feel. After some research yesterday, I also began to consider the Babolat Pure Drive 107 or 110--any thoughts on these? Thanks.

dirtballer
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
They're both nice rackets. Where I'm from you probably see ten Babolats for every Yonex but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better. The Yonex has the more rectangular shaped head which some people don't like - others do. The best thing would be to demo several rackets. TW has a demo plan if you don't have access locally to demos.