PDA

View Full Version : Under $30 Natural Gut

2handsbothsides
08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Looking for recommendations on the best playing natural gut currently under $30. My needs in order of priority are consistency of gauge, comfort, control, power, spin, tension maintenance, longevity, and price. Previously liked BDE Performance.

All comments are welcome, but I would especially be interested in a comparison of Klip Legend and Pacific Classic. Also for anyone who has tried Global and now Gaucho Gut, do these really play as well or very close to the two mentioned above?

jim e
08-26-2009, 08:57 AM
For under $30.00 as you asked for, if you look for nat. gut on the internet(recently a place was posted here on TT on a thread within the past week), there are places that sells Babolats nat. gut at the old prices still, and TW will price match, as you just have to call them and tell them where you found it listed, as I have already did that. That said, you can get Babolat tonic for $24.95, which is way below your target price, or for $34.95 ($4.95 over your price limit), you can get VS which is the best of the best, which is the string I keep in my inventory.Since price was at the bottom of your priority list, I would recommend VS Gut, as I never used tonic as I heard that the gauge is not that consistant.
You did say all comments are welcome, so I thought that I would just pass this along, as TW does price match.My inventory of nat. gut is now back where it should be.
You may wish to check the site that someone posted on the thread below, as TW will price match their prices.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=280333&highlight=sports+priority

I string a decent amount of gut, and the people I string for like the VS, I am really skeptical to try to offer them the cheaper guts like global, or gaucho, as others on this board had GG break very fast, or even snapped before they hit. I don't know if it was stringer error, or bad batches of the string, so my reputation is not worth risking at this point in time to use a string that may be inferior, so I still am sticking with Babolats VS. Never had any problems with the quality from that brand, as it's the industry standard, and it's the best of the best! If you get a cheap gut for your own racquets, thats fine, but if you string your clients with an inferior string, and it snaps before they even hit with it, it's a reflection on you. Keep that in mind if you have a good client base that returns buisness to you.

Rabbit
08-26-2009, 09:05 AM
IMO, Pacific Classic is a better buy than Klip. Klip Legend 'bottoms' out on tension and doesn't feel lively at all after any hitting. Classic is a firmer than BDE Perf playing gut, but it is livlier than Klip.

From a gauge perspective, I think Pacific is truer in gauge as well. Their 17 gauge is closer to Klip's 18 gauge.

Durability-wise, they both last about the same, but Classic retains its playability longer than Legend.

All that said, if you're a BDE-Perf fan, as Jim indicated, you might like Tonic better. The tell is going to be if gauge matters more than liveliness to you. Classic and Legend are available in thinner gauges while Tonic is not. Tonic is more lively feeling, negative adjective is springy, than Classic and Legend. Classic sits between the two and IMO has better control at tension than Tonic.

roddickslammer
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Guacho Gut....

rasajadad
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Guacho Gut....

Global Gut is made in the same factory as Gaucho Gut. It seems to be a matter of personal preference.

OR

Put a premium gut in the mains and a syn gut in the crosses. That fits your budget too.

Carlito
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I liked pacific gut classic but I got a set where the gauge was really messed up. A section on the string was so thick it had to be forced through the grommets.

stanfordtennis alum
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
try some:
bde
pacific classic gut
gaucho or global gut

dantesinferno18
08-26-2009, 03:25 PM
where can you buy global gut or gaucho gut?

Lakers4Life
08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
where can you buy global gut or gaucho gut?

You can find the sources in either of the threads.
GLOBAL (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=258601)
GAUCHO (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=281511)

stoble
08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm trying out some Pacific Classic 17 at the moment. 12 hours of play and it is still playing great!