PDA

View Full Version : Spin string in crosses

shogun90
08-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Hello,

Can someone explain why you would want a spin string (i.e. Blue Gear, MSV Hex, Genesis Spin-X) in the crosses as opposed to the mains. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using a spin string?

Thanks

coyfish
08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
No you get more spin with the "spin string" in the crosses.

I played with syn gut mains and alu BB in the crosses and I got a lot more spin than I did with the reverse of that.

Fed uses poly in the crosses perhaps for more spin.

shogun90
08-26-2009, 08:27 AM
I always thought that the crosses had an effect on power and the mains had an effect on spin.

stanfordtennis alum
08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
u'd want to put the textured string in the mains rather than the crosses... u should put something soft on the crosses for playability

TonyB
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Here it is in a nutshell:

Mains: Control and spin

Crosses: Power and comfort

You want spin, so put the stiffer (poly type) string in the mains. You can improve the comfort by putting a softer string in the crosses.

My best spin, power, and control setup has been with poly in the mains (MSV Hex 1.10) and a soft multifilament in the crosses (Babolat Xcel 16). Use 16 gauge in the crosses for more durability, as the multifilament will break very quickly with poly in the mains.

Quite frankly, Federer's setup is a bit of a mystery to me. The poly in the crosses really doesn't do much at all, except maybe to reduce the overall power of the stringbed and deaden the feel, which seems completely opposite of what I would expect just from watching his game. I've strung my racquets with the Federer setup (gut mains and poly crosses) and it is totally inferior in all areas to the reverse setup (poly mains and gut crosses). It just shows you how spectacular his skills are that he can make use of that string hybrid the way he does, because it's NOT an easy or beneficial hybrid to use for an amateur.

coyfish
08-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I used it and I liked it. Im a 4.5 and it gave me slightly more durability and a little more control / spin. Still felt soft with the synthetic gut in the mains though.

I broke them very fast (4 hours or so) just like full syn gut so im back to poly mains.

chaddles
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I had Alu rough in the mains and NXT cross, and switched to NXT mains and Alu power crosses (thought rough would slice straight through) - I got so much more spin and control from this set up I don't think I can go back, even though durability has gone out the window.

Dgpsx7
08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Spin string should go in the mains just think of how the string are hitting the ball. If you imagine it in your head you will see that a spin string especially hexangonal (e.g. MSV Hex) will not do anything in the spin department when in the crosses. The only case where this would not be true is if the string is rough (e.g. alu power rough), in this case the roughness of the string will still be arranged in a direction that would help add friction to the ball unlike a hexagonal string that only produces spin when the ball hits it in a certain way.

I personally use a full bed of MSV Hex 1.10 because I really like how it feels and even though I know almost all the spin comes from the mains I enjoy thin string in the crosses as well.

ClubHoUno
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Here it is in a nutshell:

Mains: Control and spin

Crosses: Power and comfort

You want spin, so put the stiffer (poly type) string in the mains. You can improve the comfort by putting a softer string in the crosses.

My best spin, power, and control setup has been with poly in the mains (MSV Hex 1.10) and a soft multifilament in the crosses (Babolat Xcel 16). Use 16 gauge in the crosses for more durability, as the multifilament will break very quickly with poly in the mains.

Quite frankly, Federer's setup is a bit of a mystery to me. The poly in the crosses really doesn't do much at all, except maybe to reduce the overall power of the stringbed and deaden the feel, which seems completely opposite of what I would expect just from watching his game. I've strung my racquets with the Federer setup (gut mains and poly crosses) and it is totally inferior in all areas to the reverse setup (poly mains and gut crosses). It just shows you how spectacular his skills are that he can make use of that string hybrid the way he does, because it's NOT an easy or beneficial hybrid to use for an amateur.

As far as I know, Djokovic uses the exact same setup as Fed, so it must be effective in some way and more so than polyester mains and gut crosses.

ClubHoUno
08-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Spin string should go in the mains just think of how the string are hitting the ball. If you imagine it in your head you will see that a spin string especially hexangonal (e.g. MSV Hex) will not do anything in the spin department when in the crosses. The only case where this would not be true is if the string is rough (e.g. alu power rough), in this case the roughness of the string will still be arranged in a direction that would help add friction to the ball unlike a hexagonal string that only produces spin when the ball hits it in a certain way.

I personally use a full bed of MSV Hex 1.10 because I really like how it feels and even though I know almost all the spin comes from the mains I enjoy thin string in the crosses as well.

So maybe this can be the answer to TonyB, as to why Federer and Djokovic has the nat gut in the mains and Luxilon poly in the crosses.

They both use the Luxilon Alu BB ROUGH string, which you suggest is 'ROUGH' enough to still be able to produce spin even though they are in the crosses in the hybrid.

paintthecorner
09-16-2009, 10:27 PM
This is a great discussion to be having -- Spin and spin strings are revolutionizing (with each product release) the game of tennis, as we speak...

Maybe it is the way some people strike the ball? That's what the stringers at my shop posited to me tonight, guys who had previously told me: put the spin string in the mains.

All I can go by is my experience, and I am experiencing (similarly to 30-35% of the posters in this thread) WAY, WAY more spin with poly/textured string now in my CROSSES.

I'm sticking with the way Fed and the Djoker set theirs up.

Someone mentioned that rough strings are an exception to the traditionally adhered to rule. I'd put hexagonal and three sided strings in this camp as well.

And again, seems to be how one strikes the ball. Brushing up against the ball in a vertical motion would also most of the time utilize the crosses more than the mains, would it not?

Irvin
09-17-2009, 03:36 AM
I used to string for a guy that put Kevlar in the mains and Prince Topspin in the crosses. I know that I get more spin with Kevlar in the mains than any other string bar none so I tried his combination. Felt great and did produce even more spin than a Kevlar / Syn Gut hybrid.

Irvin

dadozen
09-17-2009, 05:01 AM
When I returned playing tennis this year, I first started using BA mains/MT crosses. I once tried the reverse, MT/BA. Although BA is not a specific string for spin, it does help for being polyester. But, when I tried multi/poly, the spin was still there, but I lost so much control that I had to give up on it. Durability was also an issue: while I hadn't break any poly/multi stringjob, I broke the two multi/poly stringjobs in less than 2 hours. The poly cross eats the multi mains. Not sure how it works for NG though.

Supracool94
09-17-2009, 07:47 AM
I always put the Textured Spin Polys in my crosses with Nat Gut or Multis in the Mains, and I get a lot of spin and control with these type of set-ups.

Here are my current set-ups and they are all strung at M: 58lbs X: 52.2 lbs.

M: Gaucho Gut X: MSV Hex 1.18

M: TF X-1 17 X: MSV Hex 1.18

M: Gamma Pro Spin X: Gamma Zo Twist

PBODY99
09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Poly cross strings help those of us that vary our swing speed,but do want a more linear feedback from our strokes.

bsandy
09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I always put the Textured Spin Polys in my crosses with Nat Gut or Multis in the Mains, and I get a lot of spin and control with these type of set-ups.

Here are my current set-ups and they are all strung at M: 58lbs X: 52.2 lbs.

M: Gaucho Gut X: MSV Hex 1.18

M: TF X-1 17 X: MSV Hex 1.18

M: Gamma Pro Spin X: Gamma Zo Twist

Putting Hex or Twisted string in the crosses (parallel to the string path) doesn't make sense to me. These string cannot bite into the ball. Picture ice skates. As long as they're lined up parallel to the motion they cannot bite into the ice.

It seems to me, they would only saw through the mains faster.

That being said, the best spin string is the string that allows you to make full swings with the confidence that there is going to be spin on the ball.

. . . Bud

Supracool94
09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Putting Hex or Twisted string in the crosses (parallel to the string path) doesn't make sense to me. These string cannot bite into the ball. Picture ice skates. As long as they're lined up parallel to the motion they cannot bite into the ice.

It seems to me, they would only saw through the mains faster.

That being said, the best spin string is the string that allows you to make full swings with the confidence that there is going to be spin on the ball.

. . . Bud

I don't know anyone who keeps the racquet head perfectly parallel when striking the ball. Both mains and crosses make contact to the ball, especially on the serve.

Irvin
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Putting Hex or Twisted string in the crosses (parallel to the string path) doesn't make sense to me.
. . . Bud

For most people I believe that you are correct. Most people break the mains and not the crosses. That means the mains are moving left to right and the crosses saw the mains in half. But other have a different swing and break the crosses first.

When I mentioned putting the Prince Topspin in the crosses it was a hybrid with Kevlar in the mains. I think the Kevlar produced the most bite on the ball but the topspin helped provide more spin when I tried it.

Irvin

wangtan83
09-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Textured Poly string at main does give more 'bite' at the ball. At the same time, more elastic strings (i.e. Natural gut) gives more spin at the ball simply because during the impact the string can stretch longer, thus creating more angular momentum to the ball. Poly can't do this well because poly is not elastic compared to multi/gut.

I hope this makes sense.

2ndserveace
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
If you put a string in the crosses that is "rough" like Alu Rough or BBO Rough it still has an effect on the spin because instead of having ridges that only face one direction, the "rough" texture is created by spikes on the string that can face any direction. So strings that have ridges can only affect the spin from the mains, because that is the only time they are facing the direction of the swing path. With "rough" strings, they can face the direction of the swing path whether they are put in the mains or crosses, if it makes sense.

gameboy
09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Until you do some actual testing, this is all just bunch of people pulling stuff out of their butts.

It really wouldn't be that hard to test this. Just string up some racquets both ways (make sure they are of the same color). Have them hit the balls (don't tell them what they are using), and have the opponent rate how heavy the ball is.

Do that with about 10 people and if there are differences, you should see them. I would think this would be something worthwhile for TW to conduct.

Steve Huff
09-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree with 2ndserveace. Some rough strings like ALU Rough, Kirshbaum Spiky, etc will add spin regardless of whether they are in the mains or crosses. Others with ridges or gears, work best in the mains. They shouln't help in the crosses at all. These are like ALU Spin, Blue Gear, or any of the hex, octo, or pyramid shaped strings.