PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Stiffness (RDC) Measurements

byealmeens
08-26-2009, 09:31 AM
It seems that many of the stiffness values listed for frames are misleading, due mostly to the way they are measured. If I understand correctly, RDC values come from clamping the handle and placing force at the tip of the hoop. Assuming this is so (and please correct me if I'm wrong), then wouldn't it be relatively easy to take a few more measurements to assist in describing the stiffness? It seems to me if the force was placed at the throat of the frame or bottom of the hoop (with the handle clamped) we would have a pretty good measure of that stiffness, and in turn if the throat were clamped and the force was placed on the tip we would now have a good measure of the hoop stiffness. I would think these two values would give a much better measure of a frame's stiffness then the "overall" value currently listed. If we're all accustomed to using this overall value as a baseline, then all three could be listed, but regardless the solution is pretty simple ... isn't it?? Perhaps I'm over-simplifying so let me know what you think.

fuzz nation
08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Stop making sense!!!

Yep, I definitely agree that one overall number for the flex of a racquet doesn't say a whole lot. I'd be happier if they could just add an indication of where the majority of flex occurs when it's not evenly distributed through the frame. The Yonex RQiS 1 Tour does a whole lot of flexing at the throat (although the extra beam width of the hoop sort of gives this away) and the Volkl C10 has an extra amount of give in its hoop. Really no way of knowing this until you get out and hit some balls with that specific racquet.

byealmeens
08-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Seems simple doesn't it? Perhaps I should post in the "TW Questions" section and ask if they would do this for certain frames. If anyone knows why this would not be possible let me know ...