PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to tennis - got new rackets!

V6Jim
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi!

Whilst on holiday, myself and my wife had a few games of tennis and we're hooked!

I used to play a lot in my youth, to a fairly high standard, but my wife was a tennis virgin! Now we're back and looking to pursue our new hobby...

So, we've joined our local club (Lochmaben, Dumfries & Galloway) and bought some rackets (raquets?) and balls. I did the research and plumped for a couple of Dunlops. Price was important at this stage just in case we don't progress too far. I think I've got it about right, but your comments would be appreciated...

I have the Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred. It says Tour frame on the top...
Sandra has the Dunlop Evo 255. Mine cost 43 and hers 27. (Sports Direct). We tried them for the first time yesterday and, compared to what I used to use, they seem fantastic! I assume they were cheap because they are discontinued models....

I'm now in my 50's and carrying a dodgy shoulder, so I needed a comfy bat.

Comments please...

Jimmy

tennisnerd
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Good choice.
The 500 is a nice forgiving frame,
perfect for what you wanted.
Cheers.

LanEvo
08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
great price IMO for the 500

V6Jim
08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Good choice.
The 500 is a nice forgiving frame,
perfect for what you wanted.
Cheers.

So, is the Aerogel 500 actually quite a respected racket? Anybody know anything about the Eve Sandra uses?

Jimmy

V6Jim
08-26-2009, 03:44 PM
So, is the Aerogel 500 actually quite a respected racket? Anybody know anything about the Eve Sandra uses?

Jimmy

Sorry, I meant EVO! Absolutely the best graphics I've seen on a racket! Pretty thing....
http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/SD/PID-Dunlop+EVO+255+Tennis+Rackets-742087.aspx

Jimmy

dadozen
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Welcome back to our beloved sport!

Since you'll be playing tennis with your wife( and probably going with her to play, even if you're not gonna play with her ) it was a wise decision to get cheap racquets for now. I know that because I also returned to tennis this year with my girlfriend, so I didn't want her to spend a lot on her racquet since we didn't know if she was gonna keep playing, but lucky me she did!:) Now I'm another TW poster with the "New Toy Syndrome".

Well, your racquet is a good one. Somewhat stiff, just like the Pure Drives and Aero Pro Drives. It's light, but it can cause some soreness in the long run. It's probably that cheap because Dunlop has just released a new model line, the AeroGel 4D. But it's a good racquet. I don't know the one you bought for her, but I'd suggest you to upgrade your racquets if you do keep playing tennis. Maybe giving your racquet to her and getting new ones for you;)

But, most importantly, is that you're playing again! Welcome to the forum, and search through the infinite threads so you can check which one can suit you better!

Cheers,

V6Jim
08-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi and thanks for the replies!

So, a light raquet that is stiff could hurt the shoulder? It's a strange injury that only affects my service. (Arm is sore to lift directly away from my side - ouch!). I hurt it by trying to serve full pelt without warming up properly! Old age!!

Jimmy

JackB1
08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
The 500 is probably worth about $100 USD if it's in good shape.
It is a stiff racquet, but shouldn't bother her unless she plays more than once a week.

fuzz nation
08-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Scotland rules!

...that's my comment... Good to have you back and playing.

V6Jim
08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
The 500 is probably worth about $100 USD if it's in good shape.
It is a stiff racquet, but shouldn't bother her unless she plays more than once a week.

$100? That's about 70? Got a bargain then! Yippee!

Jack, the 500 is for me. Sandra's is the mysterious Evo255 that nobody seems to know anything about...... Apart from it being gorgeous!

Jimmy