PDA

View Full Version : Cut Wilson Kfactor K6.1 95 X to regular size

txt858
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
so I have a Wilson K6.1 95 X (extended) and I can't handle the swing weight anymore. I was wondering if I remove the butt cap and cut a half inch off the handle, will it be similar to the regular K6.1 95? Meaning will the swing weight, balance be the same as the regular size one?

Thanks,

T.

corners
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
It's difficult to predict what the swingweight and balance will be, but some rough calculations suggest that, after all is done, it will come out pretty close to a K95.

However, an issue that might complicate matters is if the K95 has the hard plastic piece on the end of the handle shaft (under the buttcap). I don't know if the 95 has this, but on the K90 there is a hard plastic piece that forms the attachment point for the buttcap. It also extends forward about 3/4" down the handle and is integrated with the foam of the pallet. I'm not sure how easy it will be to cut through this piece and still have a clean, solid end to the handle.

If that doesn't prove to be a problem, and after cutting everything seems fine as far as the structural integrity of the handle, you'll have to replace the weight of that plastic piece, which I suspect doubles as a butt weight on these racquets. That won't be a big issue though, as you'd have to add weight in the butt to replace what you cut off anyway - but it may be a lot, like 5-10 grams.

counterpuncher
08-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I had one and cut it so it's easily doable. Now Wilson QC sucks, so the stick I had (L2) weighed 344g strung with SPPP Pure 1.18.

When I cut the half inch off it was exactly 340g or 12 oz strung. The balance was pretty close to even, (about 4HL) and the swingweight felt like about 330.

It was far more usable for me and far better, but then again I like standard length sticks and the specs were fairly close to my usual sticks (PST and TF 320 VO2).

corners
08-28-2009, 06:48 AM
I had one and cut it so it's easily doable. Now Wilson QC sucks, so the stick I had (L2) weighed 344g strung with SPPP Pure 1.18.

When I cut the half inch off it was exactly 340g or 12 oz strung. The balance was pretty close to even, (about 4HL) and the swingweight felt like about 330.

It was far more usable for me and far better, but then again I like standard length sticks and the specs were fairly close to my usual sticks (PST and TF 320 VO2).

Hey Counterpuncher, does the K6.1 95 X have the hard plastic piece on the end of handle (under butt cap)? If so, did you cut that piece completely off, or did you have to cut through it?

On the K90 it looks like that plastic piece is integrated with the pallet foam and extends up the handle about 3/4" from the butt end. I'm about to cut 1/2" off a K90 but don't want to ruin the racquet. Thanks.

travlerajm
08-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey Counterpuncher, does the K6.1 95 X have the hard plastic piece on the end of handle (under butt cap)? If so, did you cut that piece completely off, or did you have to cut through it?

On the K90 it looks like that plastic piece is integrated with the pallet foam and extends up the handle about 3/4" from the butt end. I'm about to cut 1/2" off a K90 but don't want to ruin the racquet. Thanks.

I was curious about the K90 cuttability too. I'm planning to get one and cut it down to 26.5". I'm planning to lead it up at 10 and 2 to SW in the high 360s, then add weight to handle to bring mass to about 370g and balance to 32.5cm.

corners
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
I was curious about the K90 cuttability too. I'm planning to get one and cut it down to 26.5". I'm planning to lead it up at 10 and 2 to SW in the high 360s, then add weight to handle to bring mass to about 370g and balance to 32.5cm.

Depending on what I hear from this thread, I'd like to cut tomorrow - so I'll let you know how it goes. I got the 26.5 idea from you - thanks - but doubt I'll lead it beyond returning to my normal specs. I've tried 360g/32cm/350SW at regular length and it doesn't seem to work at my size and for my strokes. But the 26.5" notion sounds good for me, as I'm a little guy and hold low on the handle. But who knows, at 26.5 perhaps I can handle more weight, as you've suggested - we'll see.

The K90 has quite a bit of weight in the upper hoop (and is pretty sweet) stock. With half an inch removed there should be a ton of swingweight room for you to load up at 10 and 2.

With a flex of 67 how do you think it will feel sans half an inch?

You know, it's occured to me that both Fed and Nadal choke down to the bottom of their grips on pretty much all strokes (Fed holds normally for volleys), raising their effective swingweights. Both allegedly swing around 350, while Murray and Djoker, swinging 400 and 370 respectively, hold about an inch higher.

This could explain the Fed/Rafa SW anomaly. But I suspect there's also something to do with their straightarmed, whippy forehand techniques as well.

txt858
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
another question is: What tools are you guys using to cut your handle and what staple gun/staples (size) are you using to put it all back together?

corners
08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm gonna go at it with a hack saw and reattach the buttcap with gorilla (PU) glue. I don't have access to staple gun where I am, but after cutting to 26.5 I doubt I'd want to ever cut anymore, and with the K90 having a trap door there's no reason to remove the buttcap ever again, so glue should be fine.

If you want to re-staple I think TW has an article talking about the kind of stable gun you need for graphite handles.

counterpuncher
08-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Not that I recall (it was about a year ago), it was pretty much like any other handle that I have seen. I used a hack-saw blade to cut through the handle in about 60 seconds. I then glued and stapled (just to make sure) the butt cap back on, no problem.

corners
08-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Not that I recall (it was about a year ago), it was pretty much like any other handle that I have seen. I used a hack-saw blade to cut through the handle in about 60 seconds. I then glued and stapled (just to make sure) the butt cap back on, no problem.

Thanks Counterpuncher. I popped the buttcap of a K Pro Tour today and same thing - normal graphite end of the handle. I think this sub-buttcap on the K90 may be used because the braided material needs reinforcement where it ends on the end of the handle. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyone know?

If I'm not wrong then we would expect to see some reinforcement under the buttcap of the entire braided, box-beam Pro Staff lineage of racquets. Someone must have cut one of these babies sometime.

txt858
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
So I modified my K6.1 95 X last weekend. There is a hard black plastic on the tip of the handle. It's about 1/4 inch long. When I cut half an inch off the handle, there was a lead bar going across the handle. So when you cut half and inch off the end of the handle, you will cut that bar off too. It was laying flat on the handle.

I can now play with my Kfactor now. It swings a lot better. I can handle the swing weight now.

I used this to staple it back, the staples went all through and was flush fit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93926

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93900-93999/93926.gif

txt858
08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
and I used this to measure half an inch from edge of handle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93293

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93200-93299/93293.gif

quest01
08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
I've cut a few extended length APDC's to standard length before. I used a ruler to measure a half inch shorter then marked it with a pen or marker. After doing this I preceded to use a saw to cut the 1/2 piece of the handle off then applied super glue and clear tape to attach the butt cap securely.

corners
08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
So I modified my K6.1 95 X last weekend. There is a hard black plastic on the tip of the handle. It's about 1/4 inch long. When I cut half an inch off the handle, there was a lead bar going across the handle. So when you cut half and inch off the end of the handle, you will cut that bar off too. It was laying flat on the handle.

Thanks for the details. Can you describe the plastic piece you cut off? I'm trying to figure out if its the same piece that's on the K90. Thanks.

corners
09-07-2009, 04:52 AM

Update: I emailed Wilson asking about K90 cuttability. They wrote back: "We don't advise it as the racquet will be usable." Doesn't make much sense, but they didn't reply to my follow-up pointing this out. Must assume they meant "unusable" - maybe my hunch is right: that the plastic 'sub-buttcap' is a reinforcement necessary to provide a solid base for the buttcap. I'm going to wait to cut until I'm back home in October and have some tools.

Plan: Cut 1/2" off and see what the situation is. If it appears that reinforcement is needed I will attempt to replicate the function of their plastic sub-buttcap by either pouring an epoxy plug flush with the end of the handle or shaping a hardwood piece to glue inside. Either method should work to reinforce the end of the handle. Will post an update on results mid-October.

txt858
09-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Corners,

That black hard plastic piece at the end of the handle is a part of the frame's handle. So let say your racquet is 4 3/8 grip size. The hard plastic piece has a size of 4 3/8. so during manufacturing, the grip hasn't been formed yet. So, what they do is add hard foam to form the handle and grip size all the way down to that hard plastic piece.

I don't think you need to reinforce the end of the handle after cutting it off. The buttcap will protect it.

I can take some pictures of that little hard plastic piece for you.

corners
09-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Corners,

That black hard plastic piece at the end of the handle is a part of the frame's handle. So let say your racquet is 4 3/8 grip size. The hard plastic piece has a size of 4 3/8. so during manufacturing, the grip hasn't been formed yet. So, what they do is add hard foam to form the handle and grip size all the way down to that hard plastic piece.

I don't think you need to reinforce the end of the handle after cutting it off. The buttcap will protect it.

I can take some pictures of that little hard plastic piece for you.

Hey txt858, Thanks. I hope you're right about not needing to reinforce. Please do take some pictures. That would really help out.