PDA

View Full Version : String knot comes off?

iplaytennislolol
08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
During practice today, I was warming up (short court) when i noticed that my racket sounded strange when i hit. I looked at the racket and i saw part of the outermost vertical string sticking out of the racket at the bottom and the strings on that side of the racket were loosening. My guess is the knot became undone
Has this happened to anyone before? If this happened to anyone, did your stringer agree to restring it for free?

Random details: i had restrung the racket earlier this August, but I have multifilament and the strings are fraying around the sweetspot..

jim e
08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
During practice today, I was warming up (short court) when i noticed that my racket sounded strange when i hit. I looked at the racket and i saw part of the outermost vertical string sticking out of the racket at the bottom and the strings on that side of the racket were loosening. My guess is the knot became undone
Has this happened to anyone before? If this happened to anyone, did your stringer agree to restring it for free?

Random details: i had restrung the racket earlier this August, but I have multifilament and the strings are fraying around the sweetspot..

Count the # of knots that you do see. There should be either 2 or 4 knots total. Of all the racquets I have strung over a long stretch of time, I never had a knot come undone.(I used the so called Parnell knot since I started to string back in 1968 ) . The multifilimant strings do fray, thats normal, but the knot should last. Check to be sure that the string that the knot ties to maybe the string that broke, and not the knot, as a misshit can cause that, as the end main strings are tied off to another main string and that main string could have snapped,causing the knot to then come apart, and not the knot untying actually causing the problem.If it is the knot that came undone, I would bring it back to the stringer and get his opinion on this.Possibly he could have cut the tail too short. It's difficult to say what really happened without actually seeing the racquet. You should let him see what happened and ask him what it looks like to him.

I know that some stringers do not follow standards, like they use the tension head to tighten their knots, and that will stress the knot, and stress the string it is tyed to. That practice is almost as bad as double pulling in my book.Then again strings do not last forever and they do break, and usually it is not the fault of the stringer, as there are a # of factors that causes string breakage.

Mongolmike
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Not getting into whether the stringer did a poor job, or whether it broke, but in the future, you could put a drop of glue on the knot when you get it back from the stringer... that should lock it in and give you peace of mind.

When I started, I took a sharpie and put a small mark on the tail of the knot to monitor if there was any slippage, but any of a number of properly completed knots will not slip. Something is amiss.

If the knot slipped, it should be wrinkled on the end. It will have some memory visible that there once was a knot, and that should be enough to show the stringer that the knot slipped, not broke.

iplaytennislolol
08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Count the # of knots that you do see. There should be either 2 or 4 knots total. Of all the racquets I have strung over a long stretch of time, I never had a knot come undone.(I used the so called Parnell knot since I started to string back in 1968 ) . The multifilimant strings do fray, thats normal, but the knot should last. Check to be sure that the string that the knot ties to maybe the string that broke, and not the knot, as a misshit can cause that, as the end main strings are tied off to another main string and that main string could have snapped,causing the knot to then come apart, and not the knot untying actually causing the problem.If it is the knot that came undone, I would bring it back to the stringer and get his opinion on this.Possibly he could have cut the tail too short. It's difficult to say what really happened without actually seeing the racquet. You should let him see what happened and ask him what it looks like to him.

I have 2 knots total.. 1 now. when i looked at the racket, all the strings were intact, but the place where i swore the knot USED to be had a piece of string a little over an inch sticking out of the frame. I know that multifilament strings fray- i just mentioned it for the purposes of whether anyone thinks that i could get it restrung for free if the strings have already started fraying. I'm pretty positive that the strings didn't snap- the racket sounded fine when i started hitting today, but i believe that the strings didnt' snap, since i was hitting lightly during a short court warm-up

my brother brought the racket to the place where i got it strung while i was still at practice.. he told me that the stringer said because my strings were frayed they couldn't put it back in and retie it, otherwise the strings would break. however, i still want to know if i could get it restrung for free, if it's the fault of the stringer that a knot became undone

iplaytennislolol
08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Not getting into whether the stringer did a poor job, or whether it broke, but in the future, you could put a drop of glue on the knot when you get it back from the stringer... that should lock it in and give you peace of mind.

When I started, I took a sharpie and put a small mark on the tail of the knot to monitor if there was any slippage, but any of a number of properly completed knots will not slip. Something is amiss.

If the knot slipped, it should be wrinkled on the end. It will have some memory visible that there once was a knot, and that should be enough to show the stringer that the knot slipped, not broke.

I had really hoped to take a picture of it as evidence or whatever, but when my brother took the racket to the shop while i was at practice, they had cut out that one part that was sticking out

mikeler
08-27-2009, 06:10 AM
If the knot came undone you should either see 1 or 3 knots. If you see 2, then I don't think that is what happened.

Irvin
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Not getting into whether the stringer did a poor job, or whether it broke, but in the future, you could put a drop of glue on the knot when you get it back from the stringer...

Glue? I would never do that no telling what type of chemical reaction the glue, the grommet, and racket my have. If you can't trust the stringer to tie a good knot find another stringer.

Irvin

mikeler
08-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I've cut the tail off a knot too short and it came undone, so now I just leave a little bit more on the tail than most people. It is worth a few string pokings knowing that the knot will hold.

Mongolmike
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Glue? I would never do that no telling what type of chemical reaction the glue, the grommet, and racket my have. If you can't trust the stringer to tie a good knot find another stringer.

Irvin

Per the "Stringer's Digest" 2009 Spring/Summer edition page 60 with a picture showing a drop of clear nail polish being applied to the knot to stop slippage (nobody said anything about slathering glue all over the frame or grommets)....

I quote: "Cutting tails too short may result in the knot coming undone. Knots cut too long are unprofessional. To ensure against slippage, SOME stringers place a drop of clear nail polish or glue on the knot (Figure 3.29)."

I've never done it, but if it's listed as an option in the "Stringer's Digest" I think it's good enough for iplaytennislolol to give him peace of mind. (I mentioned glue cuz he didn't seem like a nail polish sort of guy!) :)

iplaytennislolol
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
pssst mongolmike i'm a girl :p anyway, i think i will actaully try the glue idea from now on. thanks :D
i went to get my racket restrung today (and i got $10 off for reference in case this happens/ed to anyone else) and the stringer left like a good centimeter on both knots. i got a pretty good kick out of that for whatever reason..

thanks for the replies! :)

Irvin
08-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Cutting tails too short may result in the knot coming undone. ...

I cut my knot tails as short as I can and one have never come untied.

I would not recommend getting any nail polish with acetone too close to your customer's frame.

Irvin

Mongolmike
08-27-2009, 07:16 PM
pssst mongolmike i'm a girl :p anyway, i think i will actaully try the glue idea from now on. thanks :D
i went to get my racket restrung today (and i got $10 off for reference in case this happens/ed to anyone else) and the stringer left like a good centimeter on both knots. i got a pretty good kick out of that for whatever reason..

thanks for the replies! :)

Dooohhhhh!!! :oops:

I'm very sorry, I did not mean to offend!

Guess I really shoulda suggested the drop of nail polish instead?

Seriously tho, if the stringer is doing a good job, the knot should not let loose. You could also take a sharpie and put a small mark on the tail and monitor it occasionally to see if it is slipping closer to the knot. And hopefully the stringer cut the tail so it is beveled along the frame so you don't get poked by the tail or get it snagged on something.

Good luck with the new string job... now allow me to remove my foot from my mouth!

Steve Huff
08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Like Irvin, I would never use glue. You shouldn't have to. But, the stringer should have replaced the string for FREE. He didn't tie a good knot. $10 off--what a cheapie. He messed up. If he can't do it right, he needs to learn. He should be using a double half hitch for tie-offs, or a Parnell knot.