PDA

View Full Version : refund?

dhahntennis
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
i strung a racket for someone it was a Microgel extreme Pro and i put gamma zo tour in it and it broke in 2 days which for him was 14 hours of play and he wants me to refund him by supplying string and labor. Is this redicilous or should I give him a refund?

Lakers4Life
08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
First, Ask him what kind of drugs he's using. (J/K) ;) Then check out where the breakage occured. If it's in the center it's his fault for normal wear. If it's at the grommet, it's posssibly your fault for not tubing. There is a possiblity of a miss hit along the frame that is still his fault. There are a lot of other possible reasons for string breakage, but you must first determine how it broke in the first place.

As far as the string and labor, you can offer to do it over for free, but he still pays for the string. If it were a cheap syn gut I have on reel, I would re-do for free just to keep the customer happy.

meowmix
08-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Where did it break? If it broke near a grommet, say maybe, because it was most likely a shank. Anywhere else is a no. How long does he break most poly's? 14 hours is not that bad if he hits hard with lots of spin.

jim e
08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
i strung a racket for someone it was a Microgel extreme Pro and i put gamma zo tour in it and it broke in 2 days which for him was 14 hours of play and he wants me to refund him by supplying string and labor. Is this redicilous or should I give him a refund?

That string is $14.00/ set! See why I charge a good amount for my string jobs. Things like this happen and you have to cover yourself for things like this. Most likely a miss hit, as thats the main reason a poly snaps in the first place.If he has never used this string before, you need to let him know it is sensitive to miss hits, and can happen again, and thats not your fault and should not be your problem.Also check the grommet, as there can be a crack in the grommet ever so slight that it is hard to see without a string putting pressure on it.If the grommet is cracked let him know that you check grommets before they are strung, and it must have cracked after the racquet left your place, therefore it is his problem. Try to see what happened, although it is not always evident, sad to say, things like this do happen! If it is a cracked grommet tell him of his problem, and that for an additional fee you can fix the grommet, and then charge your fee again for the string job.Usually I will tube or replace the single grommet, and tell them the next time that they should bring in a grommet set, or let you order one so the next stringing job the entire grommets are to be replaced, as most likely the others will be going soon as well.
I cannot see why some stringers here charge so little, so when incidents like this happens, you end up doing a free stringing, and your time and $ is waisted.I charged $10.00 labor over 40 years ago, and needless to say it has increased over time.So now depending on situations, I can do a freebee once in a while if is someone that I know enough, and has been a good client.It depends on the situation. Check where the string broke, I bet it was next to the frame near a grommet, if so tell him a miss hit somewhere before it broke did the string in, if the client is a decent person, then you decide if you will re string it for free, but if you do it again and it is the same type of string, tell him it is a one time deal only, after that he is on his own.

dhahntennis
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
ya i have PSGD in a reel so ill give him that for free but the break occured on the center main 3 rows down

[d]ragon
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
That's definitely his fault then. What string was it?

jim e
08-26-2009, 06:15 PM
ya i have PSGD in a reel so ill give him that for free but the break occured on the center main 3 rows down

Center main 3 rows down, you don't even clamp in that place, so no stringer fault as I can see it. It seems reasonable to re string with the reel string that you have as a good gesture to him, but let him know that strings do break, and sometimes faster than many would like. It happens.Usually stringbreakers know that they are that type as well.

dancraig
08-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a satisfaction guaranteed policy. If they aren't happy and want a redo, I do it.... once. If they are difficult to work with I cut them loose after that, and let them find someone else to string their racquet.

dhahntennis
08-26-2009, 06:38 PM
ya hes one of my buds

onkystomper
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
If he was one of your friends he would not be trying to rob you... 14 hours play and a string broken on the mains near the centre... his problem.

some6uy008
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
ya hes one of my buds

With this new piece of information, how did he approach you? Was he hostile and demanding or did he just tell you that the string broke sooner than usual and asked if you can redo it for free?

I have a satisfaction guaranteed policy. If they aren't happy and want a redo, I do it.... once. If they are difficult to work with I cut them loose after that, and let them find someone else to string their racquet.

Either way, I agree with Dancraig's policy. This goes beyond just tennis stringing.

abenguyen
08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
With this new piece of information, how did he approach you? Was he hostile and demanding or did he just tell you that the string broke sooner than usual and asked if you can redo it for free?

Either way, I agree with Dancraig's policy. This goes beyond just tennis stringing.

+1 here, if hes a friend, then this shouldn't really be a problem

goran_ace
08-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Tell him that if it broke in the bag or in the first hour of hitting that is one thing, but breaking after 14 hours of play is normal. Keep the topic of friendship out of it and say if he had the racket strung by anyone else they likely wouldn't refund him either.

If you want you could show him the write up about Gamma Zo Tour in RSI.

"Two playtesters broke the sample during testing, one at three hours and one at 14 hours."

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/09/gamma_zo_tour_16.html

Steve Huff
08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Did he bring you the string, or was it something you had on hand to string with? If he brought you the string, there's no way you can guarantee it. Say your friend had a car that needed a new water pump. He goes to a salvage yard, buys one and you offer to put it in for him. The pump goes out when he drives home. Are you going to guarantee that? You don't know where he got the pump, or the string. If you bought the string, the story is a little different. You should have asked him what he wants out of his stringjob that his current string isn't providing. If he wants durability, you may have recommended the wrong string. Most likely, that discussion never occurred. So, it's now kind of "iffy". 14 hours on a stringjob, especially for a good singles player, is a pretty decent amount. 14 hrs on a 3.0 doubles player isn't. Now you're stuck with making some decisions. Did it break before it should have? Did it break before HE thought it would due to a lack of information given to him? Does he just want a new stringjob? You need to make the call.

dhahntennis
08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
thanks everyone for you oppinions
we ended up working it out with me getting the bogus end of the deal, he doesnt know anything about strings and wanted something that would give him a lot of spin, but he had been playing with Lux XP which is a really durable string so he thought it was my fault that the string broke, so i explained to him that it wasnt, but offered to restring it for free with PSGD, but i told him that this was a one time deal and that he would have to pay me from then on because this time i was giving him a break

jim e
08-29-2009, 03:40 PM
thanks everyone for you oppinions
we ended up working it out with me getting the bogus end of the deal, he doesnt know anything about strings and wanted something that would give him a lot of spin, but he had been playing with Lux XP which is a really durable string so he thought it was my fault that the string broke, so i explained to him that it wasnt, but offered to restring it for free with PSGD, but i told him that this was a one time deal and that he would have to pay me from then on because this time i was giving him a break

You know , you probably did the best thing. It did not cost that much and a little time, and made your client happy. You not only have to know strings and racquets for your clients, but be a counselor as well.Good call for you.

diredesire
08-29-2009, 07:53 PM
If he is a string breaker, 14 hours seems completely normal for a poly string. I would have cut mine out by then, but only because i don't play for long blocks of time at once..