PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to head liquidmetal radical please !!

coyfish
08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey guys im a 4.5 player. I learned how to play tennis using an oversize Head Ti. Radical and quickly moved to a liquidmetal radical MP which I have been using ever since. I played a year in high school and got to the 3.5 level. I picked it up against in college and ive been playing a lot. Unfortunately I break strings so often now I need 3 rackets. Head no longer makes the LM's in austria. They are made in china and frankly I dont like them. Before I knew this i bought one from TW and the frame is heavier and feels stiffer. Its like a different racket. After about a month of searching I managed to find a canadian guy selling an austrian made radical with 4 3/8 grip size. Im using it now and I think the frame is broken and/or fake. It has little chips all over the place but it just feels off and the frame feels heavy. Its even heavier than the china made one.

So . . . my options are I guess to look for a new racket. My forehand looks like Murray's (unfortunately) and im a baseliner but will come to net if I get an easy approach opportunity. I like the lightweight / maneuverability of the radical but now that im getting better I may wan't to test some heavier rackets. I could always add lead tape and for that reason its better to be lighter than heavier imo. That being said im looking for some older model rackets. I would love a few youtek radicals but im just not willing to fork out 600 bucks for tennis rackets . . . . thats crazy. Im not saying like 10 years old but some older models that are similar to the LM radical.

thx in advance

Spyre
08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey guys im a 4.5 player. I learned how to play tennis using an oversize Head Ti. Radical and quickly moved to a liquidmetal radical MP which I have been using ever since. I played a year in high school and got to the 3.5 level. I picked it up against in college and ive been playing a lot. Unfortunately I break strings so often now I need 3 rackets. Head no longer makes the LM's in austria. They are made in china and frankly I dont like them. Before I knew this i bought one from TW and the frame is heavier and feels stiffer. Its like a different racket. After about a month of searching I managed to find a canadian guy selling an austrian made radical with 4 3/8 grip size. Im using it now and I think the frame is broken and/or fake. It has little chips all over the place but it just feels off and the frame feels heavy. Its even heavier than the china made one.

So . . . my options are I guess to look for a new racket. My forehand looks like Murray's (unfortunately) and im a baseliner but will come to net if I get an easy approach opportunity. I like the lightweight / maneuverability of the radical but now that im getting better I may wan't to test some heavier rackets. I could always add lead tape and for that reason its better to be lighter than heavier imo. That being said im looking for some older model rackets. I would love a few youtek radicals but im just not willing to fork out 600 bucks for tennis rackets . . . . thats crazy. Im not saying like 10 years old but some older models that are similar to the LM radical.

thx in advance

The reason why the newer Radicals may have seemed heavier is because maybe you're original ones were Radical Lites? I'm not trying to make you look an idiot or anything, but because I did the same thing once :p

coyfish
08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Its just a manufacturer thing. The China ones feel different from the older austrian ones.

gooberwho
08-27-2009, 01:07 AM
how many LM Radicals do you have currently? just 1?

Meaghan
08-27-2009, 03:45 AM
I have used the LM and moved on to the EX03 Rebel. Ive been through a number of rackets and ended up liking as much as my LMs (customised).
EX03 Rebel
RDiS 100 MP
Prince Ozone Pro Tour
(i have modified these rackets so they weigh in the region of 360g and similar HL balance)
If you are looking for lighter I would suggest the Rebel team maybe or the Ozone tour to customise.
They wont have the solidness that the austrian rackets have but i think they are close.
The Fischer M comp 95 and the Yonex RDiS 100 MP are really solid like the austrian Heads IMO. Well built, low power, very stable.

coyfish
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Thx for the response Meaghan.

Goober: I have 3. 2 austrian made and 1 china. They all feel different and its just getting too annoying. My old one feels very soft and more flexible. The new china made one feels rigid like a board and heavier. Not to mention the grip is bigger even though both are 4 3/8.

JackB1
08-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I have used the LM and moved on to the EX03 Rebel. Ive been through a number of rackets and ended up liking as much as my LMs (customised).
EX03 Rebel
RDiS 100 MP
Prince Ozone Pro Tour
(i have modified these rackets so they weigh in the region of 360g and similar HL balance)
If you are looking for lighter I would suggest the Rebel team maybe or the Ozone tour to customise.
They wont have the solidness that the austrian rackets have but i think they are close.
The Fischer M comp 95 and the Yonex RDiS 100 MP are really solid like the austrian Heads IMO. Well built, low power, very stable.

Hey Meaghan.....Do you find the Rebel 95 tougher to use than the Ozone? thanks

GS
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Try the Wilson KBlade 98---very similar specs. A friend of mine switched from the LM Radical to the KBlade with no problem at all.
But first, demo it from TW's nice demo program. And try out one or two other racquets while you're at it, like a Babolat or a Prince, just for kicks.

ak47m
08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour perhaps???

coyfish
08-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Right now im trying the dunlop ag100 and so far I dont like it very much. Ill try the 300 next along with the kblade.

MrAWD
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I have similar past choices for the racquets as you do. My first serious frame was i.Radical OS and it was a great thing that I did for my tennis game. Then, I switched to the LM Radical MP and enjoyed that one as well. At the end, I realized that low 11 ounce frames allow too much of the wrist action for me and as result my wrist wasn't cooperation at all! Around that time I switched to the Redondo Mid and even though I had few attempts to play with other things, lately I can not be happier with my game and stick of choice. All three weight 12.5 to 12.7 and all of them are 9 points HL. And, even though I have a full poly on them, they are still pretty comfortable to play with!

So, that would be my recommendation to you! If you have a thing against the Mid size racquets (as lot of people here do) there is a MP version with pretty similar specs!!

Good luck!

Fedja

bertrevert
08-30-2009, 02:46 AM
I'd be interested to hear what you make of the 300...

ps. total agreement about the worse feel of the China LM Rads...

Meaghan
08-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Hey Meaghan.....Do you find the Rebel 95 tougher to use than the Ozone? thanks

Yes it is tougher to a certain extent, my specs are similar on both 360g, the balance on the rebel 12pts HL, OPT 10pts.

Ive talked about it in your thread I think and made the comparison to style of play of Davydenko/Ferrero and Monfils. I would like to play like the OPT guys with there consistency and I do when Im playing with the OPT, but to be honest Im the size and shape of Monfils, big serves, big winners, my patience is not great, Im no Murray! And the Rebel I think suits this style of play...aggressive.

Saying that Ive only played with the OPT on a few occasions, what I do find is its so easy to use and the topspin bounce is unreal, If I can recreate that on 2nd serve then it may sway things. It has a much higher trajectory over the net, aiding consistency but also giving opponents time, its also much ,ore difficult to hit flat winners IMO. Slice with the Rebel is one of its biggest factors and it does have the edge on serve.

Im waiting for my Rebels to get out of hospital with broken throat grommets, so I can get refreshed again with the racket, as i havent used it for near 2 months, i think then I'll make a more thorough review of the 2 on your thread and ex men thread.

Cup8489
08-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Thx for the response Meaghan.

Goober: I have 3. 2 austrian made and 1 china. They all feel different and its just getting too annoying. My old one feels very soft and more flexible. The new china made one feels rigid like a board and heavier. Not to mention the grip is bigger even though both are 4 3/8.

is it the soft racket that you like the most? i might suggest the PK Black Ace 98, or even better the PK Redondo 98. both have the same headsize and string pattern of your radicals, and PK frames are known for having a very comfortable and flexy feel.

the black ace is a little bit more powerful, and the redondo is not for the faint of heart. but they're both VERY nice sticks.

Steer clear of the KB98 if you don't like stiffer frames. that's what i liked about the radicals, not as stiff as the K blade 98.