PDA

View Full Version : How to beat a heavy top spin player

Coen
08-27-2009, 04:04 AM
There is this player who hits the ball with lots of topspin and he can vary the depth of it a lot, so will hit a very deep one and then a drop shot.
He also has a fairly big 1st serve (~121mph)
Could anyone give me any tips?

Thanks

brad1730
08-27-2009, 04:42 AM
He sounds like a tough opponent. Here's my 3.5 opinion, for what it's worth... I just block tough serves back, but they need to be deep. When I get a second serve, I try to be aggressive, especially with a tough opponent. If the guy is tall, I'll slice a lot of balls down to his knees. High topspin players have a tougher time hitting it high when the ball is low. I'll also try to give a high topspin back - just because he's dishing it out, doesn't mean he likes to eat it. How is he at the net? You may have to move him around a bit. Great serves can break down once the server gets tired. The most important thing for me, when I'm facing a tough opponent, is to keep myself mentally in the game. I tell myself to stay positive. Good luck!

joshburger
08-27-2009, 05:19 AM
slice a lot of shots. it is hard to hit heavy tiopspin off of a low sliced ball

Loco4Tennis
08-27-2009, 05:31 AM
slice a lot of shots. it is hard to hit heavy tiopspin off of a low sliced ball

i like this advise,
heavy topspin requires plenty of room to get under the ball
keeping the ball low would be my suggestion
also attaking his shot before it bounces too high is also something i would try
on his serve, block it back, with no spin of your own, this will keep it low
also attack the back hand, heavy topspin players usually are not that great in their backhand side, or they use less spin on that side, the forehand is their main weapon , dont let them use it,
just an example,,,, look at Nadal, (very good example, pinnacle of such a player type), he has tons of spin on forehand and completely different on back hand

diamondgeezer
08-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Without knowing your game, it's hard to suggest things to do, but general tips could be:

1) Mix in some slice, you have to have a very good slice if it is going to be effective, because if you start chipping the ball to him, it is likely he will just pick you off with his heavy topsin.

2) Play a mixbag, lots of angles, different lengths. Because presumably the guy has been bashing the ball back and forth in training.

3) Net play, try chip and charge, s and v a few.

If your wanting inspiration just look at the way Radek Stepanek wins a lot of his matches.:-?

wyutani
08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
hit ball harder.

cadfael_tex
08-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Without knowing your game, it's hard to suggest things to do, but general tips could be:

1) Mix in some slice, you have to have a very good slice if it is going to be effective, because if you start chipping the ball to him, it is likely he will just pick you off with his heavy topsin.

2) Play a mixbag, lots of angles, different lengths. Because presumably the guy has been bashing the ball back and forth in training.

3) Net play, try chip and charge, s and v a few.

If your wanting inspiration just look at the way Radek Stepanek wins a lot of his matches.:-?

+1, like this. Also, if you can occassionaly throw in a high topspin groundstroke to keep changing his hitting zone - slice for low, extreme TS for high. This might throw off his rhythm just like he's doing to you.

Carlito
08-27-2009, 10:28 AM
The guy you describe has a game similar to mine. What gives me a lot of trouble is when people sneak up to the net on me. When you hit a lot of topspin, you tend to keep the ball high, which is easy pickins at the net. Don't let him dictate when you come to the net with a drop shot. Approach on your terms.

flat
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
The guy you describe has a game similar to mine. What gives me a lot of trouble is when people sneak up to the net on me. When you hit a lot of topspin, you tend to keep the ball high, which is easy pickins at the net. Don't let him dictate when you come to the net with a drop shot. Approach on your terms.

I like this advice the most. Especially if the guy hangs out 3+ feet behind the baseline hitting those top spins.

121 mph serves, what the heck. If you are playing Nadal I don't think any of these strategies will work. :)