PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 10 Gen ll Sticks--4 3/8

tennisbum
08-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Anyone know where I may find some? New preferred, but used ok

TW Staff
08-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Anyone know where I may find some? New preferred, but used ok

I switched from the Volkl Tour 10 Gen II to the Power Bridge 10 Mid (93). I think the PB 10 mid is a better racquet. It's been my favorite racquet all year. Great feel, super solid...it's amazing. You should try it out, if you haven't all ready done so. As far as the where-abouts for the Tour 10 Gen II, anywhere would be my guess. Craigslist?

Danny, TW

TourTenor
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I switched from the Volkl Tour 10 Gen II to the Power Bridge 10 Mid (93). I think the PB 10 mid is a better racquet. It's been my favorite racquet all year. Great feel, super solid...it's amazing. You should try it out, if you haven't all ready done so. As far as the where-abouts for the Tour 10 Gen II, anywhere would be my guess. Craigslist?

Danny, TW
Danny,
Good choice! My route has been Tour10 Gen2 > DNX10mid > BB11mid and most recent to the PB10mid.
All are great sticks with some similarities and some standout attributes. I like the PB10 mid the best for my game as it provides the best combination of racquet head speed, stability, spin and maneuverability.:cool: As JRod likes to explain, it lets you play very aggressive tennis.

The Gen 2 does have the best feel of the bunch but is the least powerful. It is smooth but you can find some surprising power with a nice gut/poly hybrid setup!
TTen

OP,
Sorry, I can't be of any help on finding the Gen 2 at this point.

jrod
08-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I happen to be away on vacation this week and managed to get together with an ex-college player (2 years out of school) who uses the Tour 10 Gen II. I use the PB10 mid so we were able to compare. Even though the string set-ups were different, both frames played very similarly. I'd be hard pressed to point out any remarkable difference between the two based on the limited exposure. My buddy stated he could switch seemlessly between the two frames without having to make any adjustments in his game. Perhaps the most interesting difference between the two was the head size, but both of us felt that either the Gen II played like a 93, or the PB10mid played like it had a larger head size.

My sense is if you cannot find any Gen II's, definitely give the PB10mid a shot.

TourTenor
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
I happen to be away on vacation this week and managed to get together with an ex-college player (2 years out of school) who uses the Tour 10 Gen II. I use the PB10 mid so we were able to compare. Even though the string set-ups were different, both frames played very similarly. I'd be hard pressed to point out any remarkable difference between the two based on the limited exposure. My buddy stated he could switch seemlessly between the two frames without having to make any adjustments in his game. Perhaps the most interesting difference between the two was the head size, but both of us felt that either the Gen II played like a 93, or the PB10mid played like it had a larger head size.

My sense is if you cannot find any Gen II's, definitely give the PB10mid a shot.
I played with the Gen 2 for a couple of years. The PB10mid is definitely in the same family and both offer great touch (the Gen 2 edges the PB10mid in this category). The PB10 has a little more power and isn't quite as much work to bring a hard and heavy serve. In the third hour of play I find that the Gen 2 takes more effort to bring some heat and consistently get the ball deep in the court. I am a huge fan of the Gen 2 and think it is a 'premier feel racquet'.

I concur that if the OP can't find some Gen 2's he should test drive the new PB10 mid.

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
what did you guys string your GenII's with? I have a pair, but haven't been able to figure out a good string combo and tension for it.

TourTenor
08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Furyoku,
I've been stringing all my racquets with 17 gauge VSTeamThermagut(or Wilson Duo) mains and 17ga Pro Hurricane Tour crosses at 57# for two to three years. This includes my Gen2s. Some want to find more power with that stick, so if that is the case, I suggest a lower tension (low to mid 50's). I did lower my PB10mid to 52 lbs. I am liking the strings there but might try at 54 lbs to see if I notice a tad more control without compromising much power.

Anyway, the hybrid with gut mains is a great combination that helps maintain the great feel of these sticks. And, if anyone argues that it is too expensive ... I suggest that they try it and see how long it lasts (the gut locks in with the poly) versus an all-poly setup. I usually end up cutting these strings out rather than breaking them.
good luck.

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
thanks for the tip. i'll try out something similar and see what happens the next time the strings pop.

what do you think about 17g poylon ice crosses and forten nylon 16g mains? any recommended tension?

thanks.

TourTenor
08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Sorry, don't have any experience with those.

db379
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Anyone can compare the pb10 mid with the PC600 (original all red prestige)? It looks like they have similar specs...

hiltonhead
09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
I currently have 8. 3 in my bag and 5 under bed. I keep them close. All 3/8 except one in half (but I've got the 3/8 pallet for it). E me in 6 mos and maybe I'll be obsessed with some other stick :)
keene@roadrunner.com