PDA

View Full Version : Sweet spot tension/ progressive tension stringing

jsomrak
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I am new to stringing my own racquets. And after a few months I've made the usual errors. I had a thought recently. I was wondering if anyone has thought of or tried this method. I almost always do a two piece job. I want to start maybe 2 lbs higher on initial mains maybe first 3 per side and then drop as I get to the outer mains, not sure what tension. On the crosses I would do the same. This may help with off center hits I think? The entire opposite may be another option. The idea being to either increase or decrease the middle strings to optomize the feel of string bed. I welcome all ideas. And no I haven't done this yet.

bsandy
08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
There is only about 3-5 lbs of friction in the turn of a grommet and 8-12 lbs in the weave of a cross.

After one long rally, I belive all would be equal.

Your intent is good though. This is why most racquets have a less dense pattern on the outside.

. . . Bud

jsomrak
08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
So what yor saying is that I could turn to mush pretty quickly. I was thinking if I was using all poly, which I do, there would be less movement across the grommet and or cross. I may try it on an older frame for grins. Not that I disagree with you, just bored. Who knows the earth may be round.

bsandy
08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Since you are bored and have time, do this . . .

As you're doing the mains, use a sharpie and mark the center of the mains as they loop from one grommet hole to the other. Se if it moves as you're stringing and after a good hitting session.

Report back. There will be a few of use over-thinkers that are curious.

Also . . . did you consider how much looser your last mains will be because of your ties offs (especially with poly) ?

. . . Bud

jsomrak
08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Intersting idea! I assumed the last main would be much looser than inner mains. Not sure how much. Sometime I pull 5 lbs more but not sure if it matters. I don't notice the difference is what I mean. I let you know. Thanks for input and not calling me an idiot like some will.

Valjean
08-27-2009, 09:45 AM
What you have stumbled across, OP, is something called proportional stringing, and it's done all the time: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2004/04/proportional_stringing.html

jsomrak
08-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Holy crap! I'm not as innovative as I thought! Just kidding. Thanks doe the link. It seems worth a try. Have you or anyone tried it? And what does OP mean?

bsandy
08-27-2009, 10:14 AM
OP = Original Post(er)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=op

Kevo
08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I've wondered myself about reverse proportional stringing. The idea being to have a really soft sweet spot in the middle, with the outer strings being higher. Theory being that the ball would tend to migrate more towards the middle of the string bed like a gravity well, and the harshness outside the middle of the bed would encourage cleaner contact.

I think the idea is good, but I don't think the differential could be made high enough just by changing the tension. I think the tension would equalize somewhat and simply produce something more equivalent to a lower tensioned string bed.

DrumWizOHBD
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
When I bought a Gamma stringer from ATS nearly 15 yrs ago, they sent me 10 different sets of Gamma and Babalot string to try. There was a particular set that was recommended being strung with the proportional method. I can't remember what it was called, but i believe it had two different types and perhaps guages of string. Every string was to be strung at a different tension according to it's length. The Mains were supposed to be a powerful string and the crosses were supposed to be a control string. I just remember thinking I wouldn't like it since I usually used Prince Problend or Wilson Hammerlast, which essentially has the reverse type of string setup.

It took a long ***** time to do, for one because you had to measure each distance ffrom grommet to grommet. So I did it when i was bored one night. NO one that hit with it could tell me any real difference from a regularly strung synthetic gut/early gen. multi, and it broke fairly quickly to get too much playteseting out of it. It played just like Babolat Fibergut (which was kind of pricey at the time) only with a little less power and less durable. It was a couple bucks cheaper than the Fibergut(which i occasionally would treat myself to after payday) but i decided it took way to long to string it.

*Edit- It may have been Babolat VS Progressive......

TenniseaWilliams
08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Since you are bored and have time, do this . . .

As you're doing the mains, use a sharpie and mark the center of the mains as they loop from one grommet hole to the other. Se if it moves as you're stringing and after a good hitting session.

Report back. There will be a few of use over-thinkers that are curious.

Also . . . did you consider how much looser your last mains will be because of your ties offs (especially with poly) ?

. . . Bud

I think you would be surprised as to how little string moves around the grommets.

I have an older Head I.S4 guinea pig frame, strung with PSG at 55lbs.

If I mark the tops and bottoms of the mains at the grommets, cut the outside mains, then hit with it for several minutes against a wall, would that be a good demonstration?

OHBH
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM
I think you would be surprised as to how little string moves around the grommets.

I have an older Head I.S4 guinea pig frame, strung with PSG at 55lbs.

If I mark the tops and bottoms of the mains at the grommets, cut the outside mains, then hit with it for several minutes against a wall, would that be a good demonstration?

Just did my first proprotional stringjob earlier and marked the strings to see if they will move. I only strung it 5 hours ago so i will see if they move overnight. I am very interested in how your test comes out. I can't hit with mine until tuesday morning.

Valjean
12-07-2009, 03:47 AM
To test what difference a proportional stringjob makes, put two racquets strung differently on the floor, stabilize them, bounce a ball off different areas of the stringbed, and observe their relative liveliness.

Bud
12-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Holy crap! I'm not as innovative as I thought! Just kidding. Thanks doe the link. It seems worth a try. Have you or anyone tried it? And what does OP mean?

I've tried it and didn't notice a whole lot of difference.