PDA

View Full Version : first gut string job, did i screw up?

i suck at tennis
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Just did it last night, haven't hit with it yet but everything seems to have gone well.. but I think my clamps may have been a little too tight. The string flattened out a little bit in the spots where I had it clamped, and I was just wondering if it was normal for gut to do this or do I need to loosen them up a little on my next go round.

In the pic you can kinda tell where this occurred if look at the string coming out of the 5th grommet (counting clockwise)

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo209/peverett12/IMG_1371.jpg

CallOfBooty
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
i cant really tell, but i just wanted to say this stringjob is very aesthetically pleasing up close :)

drakulie
08-27-2009, 11:39 AM
yes, you need to loosen them up a bit on your next go around. Great pic by the way!

what type of machine and what clamps do you have??

i suck at tennis
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
yes, you need to loosen them up a bit on your next go around. Great pic by the way!

what type of machine and what clamps do you have??

Hah thanks, I may not be a great stringer but at least I can snap a decent photo :)

Not sure on the exact model of my stringer, as it belongs to my brother in law, he just leaves it at our house. It's an Alpha crank machine that just has some crappy gliding clamps. I'm actually ready for him to take it back so I'll have a legit reason to buy a nicer one with swivel clamps

drakulie
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Try cleaning the clamp teeth with some alcohol and toothbrush. Give it a good brushing, and see if that helps hold the string better. From the photo, I see at least 4 "teeth impressions", so am figuring it has 4 or 5 teeth. With a good cleaning, should hold the string relatively well without pinching the string so much.

Good luck, and happy stringing! :)

Irvin
08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Hard to tell if you messed up or not. Strings look to be in OK shape. I see the marks you are talking about on one string and I would expect to see those same marks on the string two strings down. Why don't I? You were not pulling tension on more than one string at a time were you?

Irvin

drakulie
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
^^ahhh, good call. Didn't even notice that.

i suck at tennis
08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Hard to tell if you messed up or not. Strings look to be in OK shape. I see the marks you are talking about on one string and I would expect to see those same marks on the string two strings down. Why don't I? You were not pulling tension on more than one string at a time were you?

Irvin

Ya know I was wondering that myself. I definitely was not pulling tension on more than one string at a time. When I get home from work I'll inspect it a little closer but from what I remember i only noticed it in a few spots.

Drak I'll definitely give the clamps a good cleaning, hopefully that along with loosening the clamps a bit will help solve the issue next time.

Toad
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm no expert at stringing gut, that is for sure, but it is much better to have the clamps flatten the string a bit than to have the string pull through the clamps because they weren't tight enough. My first gut job the strings flattened a bit, but it didn't have any effect on string life, so it's not a huge deal...just looks more professional if that doesn't happen.