PDA

View Full Version : Just demoed PDR cortex & Dunlop 4D500 tour

prjacobs
08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
This is the first time I've hit in a year. I'd suffered an wrist injury playing piano and when I hit last year with my flexpoint radical mp, my wrist really hurt. I'm a 4 - 4.5 lefty with a good serve and forehand.

I started with the PDR and I was surprised at the amount of control I had. On the down side, it sort of felt like a club. I felt when I hit, it was more shot memory that I used than real feedback from the racquet. But I could rip topspin forehands pretty much anywhere I wanted to. My serve wasn't terribly accurate.

I picked up the Dunlop 4D500 tour and it instantly felt much better to me. It went through the air so much more aerodynamically. Yes, it's a stiff, powerful racquet, but through all that, I got much better feedback. It felt much more real than the PDR. My playing partner, who knows my game really well, for almost 20 years, said that my forehand seemed like I'd never stopped playing. Forehands going down the line, crosscourt or when returning serves, were as good as I could've hope for. My one handed backhand - both slice and topspin were pretty good and I feel like once I got used to the racquet more, they'd be very good. I served great! My volleys always are average at best, and neither racquet was a magic bullet for them:)

In conclusion: Yes, I liked the PDR and was more successful with it than I expected, but I could buy the 4D500 tour right now, based on the way I played today. However.... I'm going to demo a few more sticks..... Hey, it's fun:)

JackB1
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
If you have a history of wrist problems, the 500 may not be the best choice. It's one of the stiffest racquests out there. You can get similar play from another with more flex whcih will be better for your wrist. Try the Speedport White and the Ozone Tour from Prince. Similar power but with more cushion.

prjacobs
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks Jack, I never had any wrist issues playing tennis, only piano... And only once:) I felt that my hands were loose and relaxed. I'll try your suggestions.

dParis
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
You hurt your wrist moving the piano, or playing the piano? I hope you don't consider taking tap lessons!

Seriously, give consideration to the Volkl Powerbridge 8. It's been described as a comfortable Pure Drive. You may also like the Becker Pro. Both play well in stock form and they take lead well if you want to go that route.

Fed Kennedy
08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
You may try the regular pure drive. I find the woofer thing to add a lot of zip to the ball unlike the other manufactures versions of this stick. Rubberband also greatly improves feel on these, I dont know why it is so much better than a regular dampener. I kind of hate the babolat feel but love the babolat ball if that makes sense.

Orion
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
You may try the regular pure drive. I find the woofer thing to add a lot of zip to the ball unlike the other manufactures versions of this stick. Rubberband also greatly improves feel on these, I dont know why it is so much better than a regular dampener. I kind of hate the babolat feel but love the babolat ball if that makes sense.

Perfect assessment of the PDR. Tore my rotator cuff and the PDRC was my rehab racquet. It must be the balance or flex points that limits the transfer of shock to the arm. I was using the FXP Rad Tour and the iRadical and was getting tennis elbow playing with them. I had a stint with the Prince POG that would cause my shoulder to twinge. When I made the switch to the PDR, the pain was gone (elbow and shoulder). APparently, the TE came from the elbow compensating for the shoulder.

In conclusion: Yes, I liked the PDR and was more successful with it than I expected, but I could buy the 4D500 tour right now, based on the way I played today. However.... I'm going to demo a few more sticks..... Hey, it's fun:)

The PDR is a weird stick. There are still forehands that I don't know how they landed in. It generates CRAZY spin with controlled power. Not a lot of feel though. I hated volleying with it, but groundstrokes were nothing short of AMAZING. The serve too.

prjacobs
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
You hurt your wrist moving the piano, or playing the piano? I hope you don't consider taking tap lessons!

Seriously, give consideration to the Volkl Powerbridge 8. It's been described as a comfortable Pure Drive. You may also like the Becker Pro. Both play well in stock form and they take lead well if you want to go that route.

I developed a ganglion cyst in my left wrist, playing a very difficult Liszt etude that involved a lot of stretching. Those cysts are weird. You actually pop them by slamming your wrist into something. You hit it and then push on it and it's gone. But that was a freak injury. I've been playing for decades and that's the only injury I've ever had. I'll check out the Volkl. And I had planned to demo the Becker Pro. I'm more attracted to the Becker Pro or the Pure Drive, because their profiles are a little narrower than the PDR.
Thanks for the feedback.