PDA

View Full Version : Head Sonic Pro? Any comments/comparison appreciated!

ebster
08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I have a great chance to get some head sonic pro 16g for a good price. I have heard it is a some-what soft co-poly; can anyone compare this to my list of strings I have tried below? I am switching over from Weisscannon Matchpower which I like but has played a little stiff and I am looking for something slightly softer. If you have any other affordable alternatives please chime in!

Here is what I have tried:

Red Code
Cyberflash
Cyber Blue
Big Hitter Blue
Big Ace
Blue Gear
Matchpower
Silverstring
MSV co-focus
Prince Poly EXP
Prince Tour
Hurricane
Hurricane Tour
SPPP

Thanks ahead of time!

ebster
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I also can get head ultratour instead which I have heard is a great playing poly. Any feedback on this string too?

jazar
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
i like sonic pro provided its freshly strung. i find it loses tension quicker than other similar strings and were i to use it as my permanent setup then i would probably restring it every time i play.

from my experince ultratour is a little more prone to breaking around the frame.

i've hit with most of the strings you've tried and prefer pretty much all of them

sk8ing
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Head sonic pro is amazing! I was currently using alu/gut hybrid when I got an amazing deal on these strings. I tried them and loved them! There my fav string (I advise using a crisp cross like gosen)

domhas1
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
I recently bought a YT Rad Pro, I put sonic pro 17g at 59 lbs and I loved it. I have great control and get good depth on my shots with that string...

ebster
08-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have heard from others that the sonic pro can lose some tension after a little while - have you noticed this at all domhas1 ?

I have a few sets I am planning on trying in the next couple days to see how I like it.

doublefaulted
08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
sk8ing did u use gosen og micro is the crosses?

pmerk34
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a great chance to get some head sonic pro 16g for a good price. I have heard it is a some-what soft co-poly; can anyone compare this to my list of strings I have tried below? I am switching over from Weisscannon Matchpower which I like but has played a little stiff and I am looking for something slightly softer. If you have any other affordable alternatives please chime in!

Here is what I have tried:

Red Code
Cyberflash
Cyber Blue
Big Hitter Blue
Big Ace
Blue Gear
Matchpower
Silverstring
MSV co-focus
Prince Poly EXP
Prince Tour
Hurricane
Hurricane Tour
SPPP

Thanks ahead of time!

Use Sonic, soft easy on the arm good spin. I never break it. So I save $$$

tigerstring
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
i like sonic pro provided its freshly strung. i find it loses tension quicker than other similar strings and were i to use it as my permanent setup then i would probably restring it every time i play.

from my experince ultratour is a little more prone to breaking around the frame.

i've hit with most of the strings you've tried and prefer pretty much all of them

We had a player use the Ultra Tour and I never had a problem with it breaking around the frame. I believe the Ultra Tour would be more durable but the sonic pro would be softer.

Jinx
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I found the 17g to be better choice than the 16g... it's soft like a multi... so you can get a really good feel on your shots...

domhas1
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
There has been a drop in tension, although for me it was beneficial as it caused my balls to land deeper in the court..

pmerk34
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
There has been a drop in tension, although for me it was beneficial as it caused my balls to land deeper in the court..

Yeah I just adjust. No way I'm paying for stringing until they are dead.

chris
08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
sonic pros are irie

ebster
08-28-2009, 09:37 PM
so.. I strung up a frame with a set of sonic pro. Boy did the string stretch a lot while stringing; more so than any other poly I have strung up. Hit with it for a good twenty minutes which was enough for me to realize just how "mushy" it felt and how much the tension could change in that little period of time.

That said, even though this string isn't for me, I think someone just looking to get into poly for the first time needing something a little softer could benefit by giving this a try. If you are patient enough to let it set in tension wise then you may find it to be a good value. Personally playing college tennis I like my stringbed to be ready go "fresh" so when I break strings mid-match I don't need to make any huge adjustments or take too long to break in a new frame.

I have decided to go back to the good ole Pro Supex Big Ace in the 1.28 diameter. I love how this string plays in Babolat frames as a full bed and the price with my partial sponsorship is right on.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!