PDA

View Full Version : Come To Sw From So Cal..collect Ez National Points

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
08-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Players have been writing and posting about "Best" sections, "Toughest" sections, "Best and Toughest" players..... Well pick up your knives and forks and head on east from the beaches- Here is the tennis point scoring tip of the day.

I cannot believe the South West USTA (national point) tournaments are not swarming with Southern California players who want to rack up the easiest points a six hour drive will collect.

Google SOUTHWEST USTA and take a look at the series of Junior national point (open) tournaments available ripe for the picking.
Like the up coming ALBQ. tournament on another thread here-
It only has a couple players (like Billy Pecor) who have figured out how easy and inexpensive a sweep is in this section.

The Southwest has nowhere near the talent (as discussed elsewhere) and they SURE as heck don't have near the crushing numbers of players- Which means no unexpected huge waits between matches, no crowds of little kids milling around, stay or go as you please because you can plan your day- Signing up for some evening doubles during an event usually runs, like, $5-$10 extra, compare tournament fees.

Competition? It has been noted that you can take any of the SW players entered and add 100 to their SW standings to see where they would be in So. Cal.
Great weather, all ranges of hotels, and very small draws makes a very easy drive (and guaranteed hardware and points) tough to resist.

himynameisNIKE
08-27-2009, 04:51 PM
the pecors moved here

08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
So what about the rest of it? Is it so, or not?

himynameisNIKE
08-27-2009, 05:05 PM
well yeah but not everyone wants to drive from california for a weekend to get ez national points

08-27-2009, 05:10 PM
You may not have noticed, but there are a number of players/parents who do a hell of a lot more than THAT for points.

Besides, players may actually get to enjoy a tournament when it is not jammed to the rafters with "typical" So. Californian tennis players.

scraps234
08-27-2009, 05:16 PM
ive seen many tournamnet with a few groups of kids from cal coming in to sw to get points... valley of the sun.....

himynameisNIKE
08-27-2009, 05:36 PM
yeah a decent amount of kids come to the southwest from california sooooooooo

10schick
08-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Great weather, all ranges of hotels, and very small draws makes a very easy drive (and guaranteed hardware and points) tough to resist.

And... one of the funniest persons in tennis! :lol:

tennismom42
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Players have been writing and posting about "Best" sections, "Toughest" sections, "Best and Toughest" players..... Well pick up your knives and forks and head on east from the beaches- Here is the tennis point scoring tip of the day.

I cannot believe the South West USTA (national point) tournaments are not swarming with Southern California players who want to rack up the easiest points a six hour drive will collect.

Google SOUTHWEST USTA and take a look at the series of Junior national point (open) tournaments available ripe for the picking.
Like the up coming ALBQ. tournament on another thread here-
It only has a couple players (like Billy Pecor) who have figured out how easy and inexpensive a sweep is in this section.

The Southwest has nowhere near the talent (as discussed elsewhere) and they SURE as heck don't have near the crushing numbers of players- Which means no unexpected huge waits between matches, no crowds of little kids milling around, stay or go as you please because you can plan your day- Signing up for some evening doubles during an event usually runs, like, $5-$10 extra, compare tournament fees.

Competition? It has been noted that you can take any of the SW players entered and add 100 to their SW standings to see where they would be in So. Cal.
Great weather, all ranges of hotels, and very small draws makes a very easy drive (and guaranteed hardware and points) tough to resist. buying points will only get you so far. For what I saw of Billy Pecor, recruiters will figure out this cheat. With any luck, getting away from the academy will have eradicated that problem. Any recruiter worth his salt isn't going to make a decision off someone's USTA ranking. (BTW, I have the cheating on video tape in a box somewhere.)

SoCal10s
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
buying points will only get you so far. For what I saw of Billy Pecor, recruiters will figure out this cheat. With any luck, getting away from the academy will have eradicated that problem. Any recruiter worth his salt isn't going to make a decision off someone's USTA ranking. (BTW, I have the cheating on video tape in a box somewhere.)

come on tennismom: what are you talking about? are you saying Billy is a cheater ? from what I see he's a good kid.. he's a polite and mature young man.. the only fault he may have is he's an academy kid.. those academy kids grow up a bit different.. they all think their shots never go out and questions every line call... he's a good player and doesn't really need to chase national points,even though his family is well off enough to travel everywhere if they want..

10isDad
08-28-2009, 05:55 AM
First: Section strength is largely a matter of population (tennis playing population)...period. Strong sections are there because of depth. Most sections have a couple guys who can compete with anybody in the country. Places with huge tennis playing populations have depth purely because of numbers. That's why posts about section strength are moronic. If the USTA wanted parity in sections, there should be a realignment.

Second: can't tell if Manfred is being serious. We should welcome all comers. Southwest players suffer from a dearth of competition due to that whole depth thing mentioned above. Increased level of competition throughout tournaments is one of the ways our players get stronger; certainly not by having 2 pushover rounds then playing the same few kids in the middle and late rounds.

Third, tennis will continue to be a rich person's sport in this country. If players can afford to travel to get what Manfred calls "EZ points", all the better for them. The sad** part is there are probably guys ranked in the 200s-600s that would be top 100 if they had the money to travel more. This is especially true in those sections that don't have tons of tournaments. I've mentioned it before: look how many tournaments an 18-year old boy living in, say, Omaha or Des Moines can play each year without traveling out of the metropolitan area (BTW, it's 5 for Omaha and 4 for Des Moines in the entire year). Now do the same for a kid living in the greater LA area (gee, there are over 15 tournaments to pick from in January alone...). That Omaha or Des Moines kid better have money to travel - a lot of travel - if he wants to get his ranking up.

**it's sad because these guys won't get the looks from college tennis programs and not because they aren't just as good as some kid who was either fortunate enough to live in a tennis hotbed or had the money to buy his points (travel all around country).

tennismom42
08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
come on tennismom: what are you talking about? are you saying Billy is a cheater ? from what I see he's a good kid.. he's a polite and mature young man.. the only fault he may have is he's an academy kid.. those academy kids grow up a bit different.. they all think their shots never go out and questions every line call... he's a good player and doesn't really need to chase national points,even though his family is well off enough to travel everywhere if they want..like I said, hopefully he's outgrown the crap I saw. I don't know if it was his idea (doubt it) or the coach's idea. What I saw was flagrant coaching signals + verbal coaching during a national. But Billy didn't have to keep looking at the coach for ideas either. Maybe that's why the coaching became verbal. ??

tenniscrazed
08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
like I said, hopefully he's outgrown the crap I saw. I don't know if it was his idea (doubt it) or the coach's idea. What I saw was flagrant coaching signals + verbal coaching during a national. But Billy didn't have to keep looking at the coach for ideas either. Maybe that's why the coaching became verbal. ??

I'm not condoning it, but the truth is the cheating is and will continue to be rampant. There is too much at stake. Too much money on the line and no real oversight. I know of a highly ranked junior that will "take" every ad side point, game point, set point, and match point if it's anywhere close to the line. I've seen it and kept a log of it to see if it was random or calculating. BTW this kid trains at the USTA's Boca facility as a reward for his efforts.

SoCal10s
08-28-2009, 02:50 PM
like I said, hopefully he's outgrown the crap I saw. I don't know if it was his idea (doubt it) or the coach's idea. What I saw was flagrant coaching signals + verbal coaching during a national. But Billy didn't have to keep looking at the coach for ideas either. Maybe that's why the coaching became verbal. ??

yeah ,I hate academies because they'll do anything to have their kid keep winning so they can center stage them for others... Billy's a good kid and I hope he gets his head together and find out that Weil or any academy are bad news if they keep pulling that *****...

flat
08-28-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah ,I hate academies because they'll do anything to have their kid keep winning so they can center stage them for others... Billy's a good kid and I hope he gets his head together and find out that Weil or any academy are bad news if they keep pulling that *****...

Why? USTA allows it to happen by not punishing it. You push the rules of the game, until the rules push back.

10isDad
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, BP and his bro' are now training with Joey Blake in Scottsdale. The only problem: Joey doesn't have very many players and, frankly, none that can hang with BP.

Unfortunately, there aren't many decent "clinics" in the Phoenix area, where they moved. The place that would be best suited to BP and bro' would be at Arizona State University with former asst. coach Laurie Warder. It's a well-structured clinic run similar to a college practice and BP would have the benefit of training with 4 former ASU players.

My assumption is that they came to Scottsdale specifically to train with Joey. He's got a good rep. as a coach, although he now mainly has younger juniors (like 10 to 12 years old).

It'll be interesting to see how long they last there. They were Newk guys, then Weil guys...now they're at a much less populated place with far fewer good players to train with.

08-28-2009, 04:31 PM
What I said pretty much stands- Buy National points by traveling to Phoenix and squashing SW players, while actually enjoying a well run tournament without masses of players. The Southwest could use the influx (and the cash).

As far as Pecor- Someone said he just moved to the Southwest; Well, bully for him. They will continue to blow vast amounts of dough chasing who knows what- Maybe they should have switched to Polo ponies instead of tennis academy if all that happens is learning to call things close.
The New Mexico tournament listed elsewhere has this Pecor (ranked #24 nationally in Tennisrecruiting) as the number 4 seed; Tell me that isn't a goof-Too bad there is no gambling on this tournament. I would hazard he may drop a couple games, but not a single set.

10isDad
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I would hazard he may drop a couple games, but not a single set.

Both Lineberry and Carlos have played him pretty tightly in the past couple years. Granted, he now hits a Carlos-sized ball - something he didn't do back when he played CB.

That was a pretty contentious match. Both guys accusing the other of cheating. CB's mom insisted BP stole the match with judicious use of bad line calls. If I remember, there was the infamous double-look-away perfunctory handshake at the end (neither player would meet the other's eyes...indicative of guilt on both sides??).

tennismom42
08-28-2009, 07:29 PM
What I said pretty much stands- Buy National points by traveling to Phoenix and squashing SW players, while actually enjoying a well run tournament without masses of players. The Southwest could use the influx (and the cash).

As far as Pecor- Someone said he just moved to the Southwest; Well, bully for him. They will continue to blow vast amounts of dough chasing who knows what- Maybe they should have switched to Polo ponies instead of tennis academy if all that happens is learning to call things close.
The New Mexico tournament listed elsewhere has this Pecor (ranked #24 nationally in Tennisrecruiting) as the number 4 seed; Tell me that isn't a goof-Too bad there is no gambling on this tournament. I would hazard he may drop a couple games, but not a single set.Hope his folks have something left to pay for college. Academies are expensive! College is worse!