PDA

View Full Version : 2 Identical Racquets - 4g difference?

JackB1
08-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I just got 2 of the same exact racquet (Prince Ozone Tour) and one is 325g strung and the other is 321g. Is 4 grams anything to worry about or is that typical? Should I add 4 g's to the lighter one to make them both exactly the same?

One other question? When you have 2 of the same racquet, do you just switch back and forth whenever you play or do you just use the same one all the time and just keep the other as a "spare".

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 05:48 PM
the 4 gram difference is prince's quality control. you could add 4 grams to even out the weight, but it could throw off some of the other specs like swingweight or balance.

its up to you whether or not you want to cycle through the racquets or use one and keep the other a spare. most people i know cycle through them so that they're in about the same condition. that way if one of them pops, the other one plays relatively close to it. at the same time however, it also means that both of them may potentially pop at the same time.

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
i use two different methods. if i am going to be playing a tourney, ill stick with one and next day use the other. when i am in practice, i try to get equal play time on both so they feel nearly identical, then in match-play switching wont be much of a deal. if you want you could add 4 grams at the 6, but if you dont notice it and are not a very serious tournament player (recreational) just forget it.

iTennis
08-27-2009, 06:02 PM
If you do not feel the difference hitting back to back, forget it. Otherwise, check the balance so that you have better idea of where to add 4g and match both weight and balance of both.

makinao
08-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I used to have two Slazenger ProBraided Xtremes that were bought 6 months apart, and which had small but noticeable differences in weight and balance. I never measured them though. I used whichever I felt like using, taking into consideration the relationship between how I was playing/feeling on a particular day, and the unique characteristics of each racquet.

Now I have two PD+C's with consecutive serial numbers. The frames feel almost identical, and I hardly notice difference anything during play. I usually stick with one until a string breaks. That way, I'm pretty sure the other one's strings are unplayed, and won't break on the same day. This also means that the tension of the new racquet will be slightly higher, which will give me better control.

JackB1
08-27-2009, 07:16 PM
one other thing...how to you mark them to know which is which? A mark on the butt?

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 07:35 PM
you can mark them with whatever you want. you can put a piece of tape, a sticker, stencil one of them, or mark on the butt.

movdqa
08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
I use a sharpie to mark the butt with the weight.

Nanshiki
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
An amateur can not tell a difference of less than 5% or more in swingweight. A pro can tell about 2%.

4 grams is 1%.

Spyre
08-27-2009, 09:06 PM
I just got 2 of the same exact racquet (Prince Ozone Tour) and one is 325g strung and the other is 321g. Is 4 grams anything to worry about or is that typical? Should I add 4 g's to the lighter one to make them both exactly the same?

One other question? When you have 2 of the same racquet, do you just switch back and forth whenever you play or do you just use the same one all the time and just keep the other as a "spare".

I stick to one; Just personal preference, You have to make your stick feel like it's a part of you :p too hard to do it with two sticks

gpt
08-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Hey Jack, 4 grams is nothing.
Not even a coat of paint. It is not going to effect your shotmaking.
You are not a robot, give your body some credit.
You will make any adjustments necessary within a few strokes without even thinking about it.
Having racquets exactly matched is really a psychological thing.

Personally I use both my racquets evenly. That way if I break a string, the replacement will feel the same.

iTennis
08-28-2009, 03:49 AM
An amateur can not tell a difference of less than 5% or more in swingweight. A pro can tell about 2%.

4 grams is 1%.

If you have two sticks with identical weight and balance, then add 4g in the hoop top of one stick, you can not tell the difference? I bet you do not have to be a pro to tell the difference. It's not just static weight, but balance and SW. Adding the weight somewhere else would be a different story.

dadozen
08-28-2009, 03:59 AM
I had two PStorms completely different from each other. Although I had never felt much difference on weight, the balance was way different and they played differently too. I had to buy a third racquet to get a matched pair. One seemed even flexier than another.

Now, I got two 300Ts from TW from the same batch, and a third one 2 months later, with close serial number. They all play identtically, have the same balance. I've never weighed them though. The final test for me will be checking if my 4th racquet that's alreay coming will be like that too. It's coming from another store.

Keifers
08-28-2009, 04:46 AM
A 4 gram difference in weight is not big to me -- unless it also means there's a difference in balance. I can feel a 1 pt difference in balance (but can adjust my strokes fairly quickly). A 2 pt difference is a lot.

JackB1
08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
If you have two sticks with identical weight and balance, then add 4g in the hoop top of one stick, you can not tell the difference? I bet you do not have to be a pro to tell the difference. It's not just static weight, but balance and SW. Adding the weight somewhere else would be a different story.

I was talking static weight.....not swingweight.

JackB1
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I use a sharpie to mark the butt with the weight.

the weight of the racquet or the swing tension?

movdqa
08-28-2009, 07:21 AM
I mark the stock weight on the heavier two. The lightest one has a different color string and overgrip so I haven't marked that one yet.

The racquets are 360, 365 and 371 grams. I can tell which one I'm hitting with after hitting groundstrokes for a few minutes but that's because I'm used to them. I can tell my K90s apart too - I think that there's a big difference between the two but I haven't weighed them stock so I don't know how different they are. With Wilson's QC, though, there could be up to a 0.8 ounce difference.

Nanshiki
08-29-2009, 05:25 PM

If you add four grams to the 12 o'clock of a racquet, you will increase the swingweight more than four grams.

And FWIW, I can only barely tell the difference between my Agassi LE Radical (which is 12.1 oz) and my APDC+, which is more like 11.6...

iTennis
08-29-2009, 07:18 PM
If you add four grams to the 12 o'clock of a racquet, you will increase the swingweight more than four grams.

And FWIW, I can only barely tell the difference between my Agassi LE Radical (which is 12.1 oz) and my APDC+, which is more like 11.6...

OP was asking if 4g static weight difference matters of not, and the real question is if the balance and swingweight are comparable between sticks. Obviously 4g at 12 o'clock example was just to show how tiny little 4g can make the same stick feels and plays so different.

I am not sure about 5% swingweight difference being insignificant for amateurs....but anyway, 4g OP mentioned was static weight, so your 1% figure makes little sense anyway.

Nanshiki
08-29-2009, 07:32 PM
He won't be able to tell the difference. Period.

iTennis
08-29-2009, 07:52 PM
He won't be able to tell the difference. Period.

I hope so, so that he does not have to worry about 4g difference, (like I posted in the beginning).... but you or I can not tell that but just him. And if he feels (or thinks he feels) the difference, I'd say just add the weight to match balance/ SW so he can forget about it. Could be just phycological, but feeling better won't hurt.

Anton
08-29-2009, 08:42 PM

4 grams is 1%.

Not necessarily true - it very much depends WHERE those 4g are - 4 grams of lead make for very noticeable swing weight difference when placed around middle or top of the racket's loop.

mucat
08-29-2009, 10:36 PM

I can tell the different between my iRad OS @11.6oz and Rad LE @12.1oz.

JackB1
09-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I can tell the different between my iRad OS @11.6oz and Rad LE @12.1oz.

thats 1/2 oz. or about 14 grams. Thats a lot more than 4 grams.

JavierLW
09-03-2009, 06:45 PM

It depends on the weight distribution. 4 grams may not be noticable if it's near the balance point, but if it's in the head somewhere then you definitely would notice a difference. (it would change the balance and would drastically alter the swingweight)

If you cant tell though then dont worry about it.

I usually rotate racquest from match to match to create equal wear on the string jobs.

If it's a hot and humid day and my hands are sweating sometimes I use both racquets and alternate them during the match. Recently, Ive been just using one for the service games (in doubles) and the other one for the other 3 games.

mucat
09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
thats 1/2 oz. or about 14 grams. Thats a lot more than 4 grams.

I was replying to the post on top of mine. Anyway, 4 gram= 0.14oz. It really depends if the racket is close to your maxmum tolerable weight. Say if you can handle at most 12oz racket, at 12oz, adding even 0.1oz will affect your game. On the other hand if the racket is only 11oz, adding 0.1oz probably will have no effect on your game.

JavierLW
09-04-2009, 06:15 AM
I was replying to the post on top of mine. Anyway, 4 gram= 0.14oz. It really depends if the racket is close to your maxmum tolerable weight. Say if you can handle at most 12oz racket, at 12oz, adding even 0.1oz will affect your game. On the other hand if the racket is only 11oz, adding 0.1oz probably will have no effect on your game.

Actually it can have a big affect on your game either way.

What people seem to not realize is the static weight alone doesnt matter.

It's WHERE that weight is.

Check out this calculator:

http://www.usrsa.com/store/learningcenter/lc_combinedswtbal.html

Depending on where you add that 4 extra grams, it can alter your balance by several points, and it can increase swingweight by as much as 10. (ie..... 327 instead of 315)

So just weighing the racquet and seeing that it's 4 grams heavier or lighter is really meaningless, what you need to do is check the BALANCE. If that's way out of whack then you have a problem.

Otherwise if it's not, and you can play just fine and you dont notice then it's probably not an issue.

I had two Wilson KProOpen's that were only 4 grams off, but the balance was WAY OFF, and the heavier one felt horrible to me. (it was only like 1 pt HL instead of 5 Pt HL)

Recently I bought two Dunlop A300's which sure enough are 4 grams off, and I cant tell the difference and the balance is the same. (I think it's something about how they filled in the handle) (I did threw 4 extra grams on one anyway though just for the heck of it, I stuck it on the top of the handle so it has the least affect on balance and swingweight)

The weight of these two racquets are very similar.

Richie Rich
09-04-2009, 06:23 AM
my prestiges are 6g off but i can't tell the difference at all, even when i hit with one right after the other

mucat
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
JavierLW, I agree with you. However, what I was saying is, it depends and it is all relative. If someone use a 14oz racket. You give that person a 10oz and a 10.15oz racket, chances are, those 2 light rackets will play the same to him.

But under normal circumstance (racket close to opitmal weight), 4g is a bigger different especially the balance is not the same.

movdqa
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I have three of the same racquets and they differ by five to six grams so that the heaviest is 11 grams more than the lightest. I can tell which one I am using after hitting for a few minutes.

dadozen
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, 11g is a huge difference, IMHO. I had two PStorms and they had different balance points, and I could easily tell which one I was using, even after two or three hits, although I had never weighed them.

My 4 AG 4D 300 Tours have the same balance point, although being from different batches, and they all play exactly the same. I haven't weighed them as well. They might even have different weights, but the balance point is the same, which I think to be the most important factor. Agree with who says that even low weight differences might influence a lot taking into account exactly where the weight is distributed.

Nanshiki
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
You might be able to tell the difference of 11 grams but I bet you won't be totally sure which one is heavier.