PDA

View Full Version : How Much Weight To Add

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 06:43 PM
well i have finally decided where i am going to add weight to my racquet. if i am going to add weight at the 10 and 2, how much do i need to effectively raise the sweet spot and make it more stable?

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
its up to you how much you can comfortably handle. i'd say add a few grams to start and see how you like it. gradually add more until you find something you like and remember to counterbalance so it doesn't become too head heavy.

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
alright, whould u say 4 grams on both sides would be good to start? when i add weight in the grip, and take off the cap, where in the grip do i put it?

Orion
08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
alright, whould u say 4 grams on both sides would be good to start? when i add weight in the grip, and take off the cap, where in the grip do i put it?

3-4 g is a good start.

Under the cap you need to seal it in the tube with silicone or epoxy.

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
ok, i read the tennis warehouse customization article and it was helpful. any particularly good brand of lead?

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 07:30 PM

4 grams is a good start. you can either add the lead tape by removing the replacement grip and putting the lead around the pallet, or you can put it inside the handle. since you're only adding 4 grams, i would suggest putting the lead on the handle instead, as its easier. if you decide to add a lot more lead, then go with adding it inside the handle.

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 07:30 PM
ok, i read the tennis warehouse customization article and it was helpful. any particularly good brand of lead?

i usually use the 1/4 inch gamma lead tape. it fits easily on almost any racquet. it sticks pretty well too. doesn't really come off unless you keep taking it off and putting it on or something.

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 07:34 PM
alright, i think ill order some tw private label grip so the lead wont be to bulky. right now im using some super bulky wilson leather. how much do i need to change the head-lightness? like is there a rule? also, when i add the tape on the 3 and 6, would i but 2 grams on both sides of the inside grommets?

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 07:46 PM
it's up to you how you want to distribute the lead. its better to keep things symmetrical though. also, when you put lead in/on the handle you want to put enough to balance out the weight you added to the head, so if you add 4 grams to the head, then you might want to add 4 grams to the handle as well.

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 07:53 PM
ok thanks, that makes a lot of sense, one last thing. do i have to replace the leather grip everytime i add under it, or can i reuse the same grip?

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 08:05 PM
you can reuse the grip. there's no reason to throw away a good grip. you just put the grip back on over the handle like the way it was. it goes right over the lead without any problems.

murrmanfan13
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
ok, will the lead increase my grip size alot?

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
if you wrap the lead into a thick layer maybe, but otherwise, there's barely any noticeable change. it's thinner than your average overgrip, so i doubt you'd feel the difference.

Orion
08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Take a look at Babolat's lead tape. The con is that it's got Bab branding all over it and it only comes in 1/2 inch so you've gotta cut it in half to apply in the hoop. The pro is that it's better quality than the Gamma and Unique. The lead feels heaver and won't buckle like the other brands. It's also got a vinyl coating over the lead.

Meaghan
08-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Just buy a roll of 1/4 inch lead tape off the bay, you can get a big roll cheaper than buying babolat or gamma.
10g is more than enough in the hoop IMO.
I put weight top of handle, some put weight top of butt cap.
Read traavlerajm and john cauthen posts they will give you some idea of the pros and cons of doing this.

PED
08-28-2009, 04:08 AM
Take a look at Babolat's lead tape. The con is that it's got Bab branding all over it and it only comes in 1/2 inch so you've gotta cut it in half to apply in the hoop. The pro is that it's better quality than the Gamma and Unique. The lead feels heaver and won't buckle like the other brands. It's also got a vinyl coating over the lead.

This is great advice-especially for the lead under the grip. If you're adding 4g, it only takes 4inches of the Bab tape as opposed to 16 inches of the gamma or other brands since the other brands weigh 1 gram per 4 inches.

The bab is more expensive but not really-it's just much more dense so less
tape is needed and when you factor the weight in, it costs the same.

As far as lead in the hoop, I wasn't sure if you were going to start out with 4g on each side at 10 and 2 and 4g total. 8 grams total in the hoop might be a bit much to start out with FWIW

Meaghan
08-28-2009, 04:21 AM
off the bay...........
Babolat lead tape 6.99
Length: 18 inches (6 x 3-inch marked sections)
Width: 1/2 inch
Weight: 18 grams (1 inch = 1 gram)
or for 1/4 inch tape for hoop (1inch = 1/5gram)

"no name" Lead tape 5.99
Each pack contains 1 coil 6mm wide x 4mtrs long (1/4" x 156")= 100g

Do the math, dont buy named brands of lead. Lead is lead, do you see Roddicks lead tape with Babolat on it...no!

in the US you can buy rolls of the stuff, just ask the seller the weight and do the maths.

PED
08-28-2009, 04:41 AM
At TW, it's 2.99 for 36 inches of 1/2 in lead which should be 18g total.

It's 3.99 for the Bab tape which is 18g total so it's $1 more for the bab.

When applying to the handle, I like the bab tape but I do prefer the Gamma 1/4 tape when putting lead under the Prestige Cap's.

It's all lead in the end so it's hard to go wrong.

I can't believe what you guys pay for stuff in the UK, it's really expensive compared to US prices.

I also see you're from Liverpool. Given their start to the season, I hope you're not a Liverpool fan....;)

Meaghan
08-28-2009, 04:58 AM
^^^
Our lead tape is mixed with gold!

Dont remind me, we lost twice the whole of last season, now 2 in 3, selling Xabi Alonso was a bad mistake so this Italian best hurry up and get fit!

Good job I like tennis to take my mind off it..........

Aces09
08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
there's no perfect answer to that, just add a couple strips, go hit the courts and compare it to how it felt without lead. If it's still unstable, add another strip or two. I'd start with 3 inch strips and add layers until you're comfortable.

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 06:11 AM
i meant i was going to be adding 4 grams total. thanks for all the brand advice, i think ill get a little of both from TW. ill tell you guys how it all works out. one last question, whats this top of the handle business?

PED
08-28-2009, 06:14 AM
^^^
Our lead tape is mixed with gold!

Dont remind me, we lost twice the whole of last season, now 2 in 3, selling Xabi Alonso was a bad mistake so this Italian best hurry up and get fit!

Good job I like tennis to take my mind off it..........

I couldn't believe watching the villa match on Monday. Pool will be back-there's just to much quality for it not to happen. I think they're missing Alonso.

I'm a Gooner so I'm happy.....so far. Don't know how I'll feel after this weekend though. I do believe they can handle ManU without Ronaldo.

mike53
08-28-2009, 01:46 PM

I don't know if your youteks have a butt cap with a trap door, but if you can open the end of the handle without removing the grip, I like to fill the handle with clear silicone sealant which you can but in the hardware store. Before you start, find the balance point on your racquet and mark it with masking tape. Apply your lead tape strips at 10 and 2 o'clock. Add silicone sealant (and maybe imbed a couple steel washers) to the handle until your balance point is back at the original spot. Close the butt cap and let it dry for 10 minutes.

vtdownhiller
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I use the Babolot tape under the grip and then Unique 1/4 tape to both sides of the string bed....Babolot tape is the best IMO

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 02:24 PM
can you remove the silicone after? wouldnt it just be easier to balance it out with lead?

PED
08-28-2009, 02:27 PM
can you remove the silicone after? wouldnt it just be easier to balance it out with lead?

You can remove the silicone but I'm with you, I'd just do it with lead. It's not like you're adding a copious amount. I'm interested in how it hits after your done. Should be nice and hit somewhat similar to my Prestige Pro I would think.

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
thats funny you say that, i was going for something like a prestige pro, just with d3o. im gonna get a big order from TW soon, so far on my list is lead tape, a butt cap and some leather grips for weight. anything you think is necessary for customizing? like an awl? i think i might need a postal scale, where would i get that?

PED
08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Nice idea with the 3do, I like that. An awl does comes in handy but I use it mostly for the CAP grommets on the Prestige. Any office supply store should have a postal scale. Beware though, they are addicting! I weigh everything now-even when I make small changes like a different OG. You do find some OG's weigh more than others. It can help you from going to far to the lead path as well. My Pro's got up to 350g recently and I just wasn't as effective and dropped them back down to 345 and all is well. Measure, measure, measure :) Also a good idea to keep a small log as to what changes you make and what you liked and didn't like about them. You think you'll remember but I find that I forget unless I write it down.

I'm the same way, I bulk up my order to TW to maximize the shipping costs.

One thing to consider is that if you ever want to switch from leather to a cushion grip but not give up the weight extra, I've found that the new Hydrosorb Tour grips are a good bit heavier than the old plain Hydrosorb's. The old ones weigh 11g and the new ones are 16g. I found that to be only 3g less than my Head Calfskin's FWIW. Leather is too tough on my arm but that's just me.

vtdownhiller
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Not to get off the subject, but it is related to weight distribution..I am using 2 overgrips to reduce grip size, but I am finding it a bit firm on certain shots.... I tried the hydrosorb and it was too thick, thinking of the TW leather to add more weight for HL and make the grip thinner..I have 4 2" strips on Babolot tape on the handle and found it thickened the grip jus a little too much

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 03:06 PM
why dont you put the tape in the grip? also, PED, is it worth getting the alpha balance board?

PED
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I've never used the balance board but our local shop has a Bab RDC machine and I've had access to that :) I do think it would come in handy though for making the changes.

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 03:43 PM
thats nice, i always wish i could use one of those RDC's. by the way which postal scale do you have.

PED
08-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Mine actually came from a kitchen supply store. With the digital technology they are all pretty accurate.

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
yeah, thanks.