PDA

View Full Version : donnay pro international, how does it play?

tenniscool
08-27-2009, 07:38 PM
groundstrokes, serve, volleys!!!
thinking about grabbing it since its cheap! Share your experiences :)

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 07:44 PM
low swingweight. easy to whip around. decent groundstrokes. good headspeed on serve. sweet volleys. real soft.

tenniscool
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM
haha is it worth the buy? I'm really considering this rackeeet :)

NoNameZ
08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
It's worth the buy. When the reviews said it was low powered, believe me, it was. The serves were great for me. The low SW allows you to have faster head speed and just knuckle the serve in with ease. A very comfy racket.

madmax7776
08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm currently demo-ing that racquet (95 sq. in) along with 3 others. I played with it for a little while, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Racquet offers a lot of control (read: no power), very comfortable even though it came strung with poly (pro-line II), which is weird, so I called TW to ask and they told me that the previous customer must've restrung the racquet. Too flexible for my taste. I didn't quite like the way it looked and although that's not performance related, it's a mental thing for me. It looked "cheap."

I have yet to find a replacement for the POG Mid. The Diablo is the closest it'll ever get to it.

madmax7776
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I may sound like I contradicted myself as far as comfort. What I meant is that it's not really comfortable for my game/style of play, but it is indeed comfortable on the arm. Not for me.

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
definitely worth the buy if you can come up with your own power.

tenniscool
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I guess its for me, since I take pretty huge cuts :o

I THINK IMA GET THIS, redondo is too expensive :(

furyoku_tennis
08-27-2009, 11:32 PM
if you're feeling adventurous go with the OS. its got a bit more juice and you can get some sick spin with the headsize. one of the few great OS racquets left.

ace0001a
08-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Are you talking about the Pro One International? Who has them for cheap?

basil J
08-28-2009, 05:44 AM
I played the redondo MP for about 2 years and I palyed the Donnay MP for about 2 months. I thought the redondo was better in every category. The Donnay is very low powered and I too thought that it felt like a "cheap" frame. maybe because the grip that it comes with is a cheap white synthetic grip, I dont know but if you are comparing it to a redondo, the PK wins hands down.

Lefty78
08-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Are you talking about the Pro One International? Who has them for cheap?

TW has them for $89.99, the price drops to $79.99 if you buy two or more.

In fact, you can only get them through TW.

tenniscool
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
having second thoughts now :o
maybe I should get a pog mid haha

stevewcosta
08-28-2009, 09:33 AM
having second thoughts now :o
maybe I should get a pog mid haha

Pro Int'l is pretty good (good weight, sw, balance, beam width/shape/string pattern). I strongly disliked the flex - too flexible and soft for me which resulted in contol issues. Much better than the POG mid - terribly overrated frame. Just awful.

joe sch
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Great racket !
Excellent allcourt racket, I was able slice, topspin and hit flat blasts from the baseline. I normally play an allcourt game using heavy flexible oldschool midsize rackets and the International was a smooth transition for me. I had it strung with natural gut at 50lbs and it offered excellent control. I love the amount of flex it offered. I also like the balance and if anything, I may add some lead at 3 and 9 to provide even more stability. Volleying and serving were also very enjoyable with this stick. I may also at some point add a leather grip, since that is what I am use to playing but the default donnay cushion grip was really comfortable and great for summer tennis.
Great deal !

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
demo them and find out. if you're not used to the flex on the donnay it can throw you off.

tenniscool
08-28-2009, 09:56 AM
cant demo :(

having a hard time ughrgh

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
could you tell us more about your playstyle? I think that would help us help you.

tenniscool
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I usually baseline, and can hit winners off of any side. I take pretty big cuts at the ball. 2hbh! I usually hit kick, topspin serves. Play mostly singles :o

did i leave out anything important?

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
That's useful information, and what are you looking for in a racket?

My first impression with the Pro One was that it really was low powered. But if you can manage a well developed swing (nice fluid motion) and take big cuts, you can hit some nice shots. The control is really great with this frame, and with the open string patter, the spin serves should be ok. (I usually just flat serve)

As joe sch stated, this is a great all rounder racket. It's stable on the volleys, and it's touch is on par with Volkl rackets if you've hit with one. But if you want mostly hang by the baseline, I would suggest the OS. There are a few recent threads about it. It allows great spin, power, stability, and control.

Hope it helped

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 12:36 PM
the OS is a great baseline bashing racquet. you can sit back there all day and blast shots. its got some good touch to it too for those moments when you want a drop shot.

Personally i liked the OS more than the MP. I like to serve and volley and the OS makes it that much easier.

BreakPoint
08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
For me, the Donnay Pro One Int'l MP is all about the feel - ultra low powered and very flexy. :)

I can bash from the baseline pretty well with it, but maybe I should try the OS version as it sounds like it may be even better.

sstchur
08-28-2009, 02:43 PM
For me, the Donnay Pro One Int'l MP is all about the feel - ultra low powered and very flexy. :)

I can bash from the baseline pretty well with it, but maybe I should try the OS version as it sounds like it may be even better.

That's where I'm at right now too. I feel comfortable with the Mid (which I am demoing), but I can't help but wonder if I should demo the OS.

I don't typically like OS frames, but everyone here seems to think it's great.

tenniscool
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
hmm I don't like the way the donnay OS looks at all! And I tend to not care at all about the cosmetics but this is just pushing that limit!

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
That's where I'm at right now too. I feel comfortable with the Mid (which I am demoing), but I can't help but wonder if I should demo the OS.

I don't typically like OS frames, but everyone here seems to think it's great.

Well, most OS frames on the market nowadays are super light and stiff. The Donnay OS is one of the few players' racquets left in the market.

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
hmm I don't like the way the donnay OS looks at all! And I tend to not care at all about the cosmetics but this is just pushing that limit!

you could always strip the paint and repaint it black or something.

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 05:36 PM
The PJ's not too attractive, but think about how you can distract your opponents!, that or just strip and repaint as mentioned above

tenniscool
08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
The PJ's not too attractive, but think about how you can distract your opponents!, that or just strip and repaint as mentioned above

haha more like I can get made fun of by my opponents on the daily! and woman!

to be honest, the POG mid is really striking my interest! Ah the choices :(

Lee James
08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm beggining to take an interest in trying out the Donnay Pro One OS but I'm a little scared to do so (thinking it will either be a love or hate sorta thing). I used to use a Ti Rad OS which I loved at the time, before moving on to a PS tour 90. So for the past 4/5 years I've been using mid size frames, but have always been curious to try out another OS. Since I've grown accustomed to the player spec. racquets, I haven't had any interest in trying out any of the OS's on the market. A couple of years back I demoed the Limited edition Head Agassi OS and didn't like it. Just felt like a trampoline to me. The Donnay seems to be more in line with what I'd be looking for in terms of weight, beam width, and flex. Could anyone comment on a comparison between the Donnay and the head Agassi OS from a few years ago? Also anyone out there went from a mid to the Donnay OS?

Power Player
08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
haha more like I can get made fun of by my opponents on the daily! and woman!

Just got one. The guys I hit with made fun of it, but I knocked them all over the court because the racquet is a beast and you can hit out like crazy. The girls love it actually. It looks pink close up, but orange if you were watching from a few feet back (let one of the guys try it out...he loved it).

A black PJ would be killer, but if you are confident it won't matter. Agassi won Wimbledon with it. That's why he is my favorite..he didn't care what people thought and played like it.

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Just got one. The guys I hit with made fun of it, but I knocked them all over the court because the racquet is a beast and you can hit out like crazy. The girls love it actually. It looks pink close up, but orange if you were watching from a few feet back (let one of the guys try it out...he loved it).

A black PJ would be killer, but if you are confident it won't matter. Agassi won Wimbledon with it. That's why he is my favorite..he didn't care what people thought and played like it.

I agree with you completely! If you can beat other players, who's gonna laugh? Plus, what we look for in a racket are the specs/playability, hence all these threads and questions, so why flake out on buying because of a paintjob?

v205
08-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Nice no nonsense one piece racquet.

Not like the modern graphite (read plastic...) sawed into many pieces and rejoin with a-to-z technology... stiff in the body... high flex in the lower hoop... medium stiff in the upper hoop.. sub woofer doof doof... wtf? :)

tenniscool
08-29-2009, 09:41 AM
The whole agassi thing actually makes me want to buy the racket, I just am not a fan of OS :O!

ahhhh maybe i should take a gamble, since the control on this racket is supposedly good!

Power Player
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah..if you need power from a racquet, the OS is not really for you. Compared to the apdc for example, the Donnay has far less power to it. I personally prefer that, but a lot of people will not.

If you dont like an OS and you dont like the PJ, you may really want to get the regular 95. I find that if there are reasons to not like a racquet, they can be magnified once you hit with it.

mrw
08-29-2009, 12:41 PM
love mine. I have 3. Gut/poly hybrid and a bit of weight at 10 & 2 and you are good to go.

endbegin
09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I like mine too, especially since it is soft and comfortable racquet, and my 1HBH is much improved as a result. My FH has suffered a bit which is partly due to my technique, and partly due to the flex. You can't get too lazy with the mid plus even though it has a nice sweet spot.

teppeiahn1
09-05-2009, 05:32 PM
I play with it. Love the feel it gives me. If you can create pase, no problem. I leaded it up to around 14 oz and man, it just destroys the ball!.

But if you like to stalk the baseline and bash balls, I think your more suited for Pure Drive type raquets.

DrumWizOHBD
09-05-2009, 10:37 PM
I love the MP. Previously I was a Pro Staff 6.1 Classic user for 14 years. I always strung my racquets 64+lb. With the Donnay MP, I can use all kinds of strings at low tensions and still keep the ball in. The most amazing thing that I fell in love with, is the feel you get. There really isn't much pop at all, but you feel the ball so well, that you can take HUGE rips at it and the ball stays in. Spin is easy to generate as well thanks to the lower SW compared to my old 6.1s. I play mine with leather and two overgrips and zero lead. I experimented with lead, but ended up always preferring the sticks without it.

Very comfortable racquet and great feel for touch shots. But you do have to pout a little extra punch into those putaway volleys.

Enlightened Coelacanth
09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
My understanding is the grommets for the Donnays at TW are cheap and impossible to get replacement sets for. The MP is a very nice frame, so all in all, it's too bad about the grommets.