PDA

View Full Version : Was I supposed to flare the grommets first?

pmata814
08-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I just replaced the grommets on my RDS 003. I finished and went ahead and strung it up. I had a lot of trouble with the tie off knots (I string 2-piece) and wondered if I was supposed to flare those grommets. Unfortunately I don't know how and it didn't hit me until after I had replaced them that I might need a special tool. I went ahead and strung it hoping that the knots themselves would take care of the flaring.

Should I have flared the grommets first? If so, how? Have I ruined these grommets by not doing so?

Thanks in advance.

tennisstrngdude
08-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes. Flare first. Not likely ruined. To flare use a tool called "Flare-It."

Toad
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Are there any other easy ways to flare grommets? I don't particularly want to spend $20 on a glorified c-clamp that I will use once in a blue moon.

tennisstrngdude
08-28-2009, 05:44 AM
$20 well spent if you string for others. It does the job. Will last a lifetime. Also cheaper than ruining a set or two of string.

eagle
08-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Agree with tennisstrngdude.

A $20 tool will save your grommets which is a major pain to replace.

Have you ever tried installing new grommets? You'll be cursing up and down and wished you had spent that $20 for the Flare-It. :)

Not only will it prepare the tie-off grommets for the first string job, it can also "repair" a damaged but salvageable grommet. Again, saving you the trouble of replacing the grommets.

r,
eagle

Lefty78
08-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Have you ever tried installing new grommets? You'll be cursing up and down and wished you had spent that $20 for the Flare-It. :)

Not to get too far off track, but replacing grommets is fairly easy if you have an awl, a hair-dryer, and some idea what you're doing.

pmata814
08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I already strung up my racquet without flaring the grommets. It was a pain, but I got it done. Now I want to know...what will be the consequences of not flaring the tie off grommets? Should I cut out the string job and wait until I purchase the flare-it? Or is it not that big a deal?

eagle
08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Not to get too far off track, but replacing grommets is fairly easy if you have an awl, a hair-dryer, and some idea what you're doing.

I agree, but unless you have done it at least once or twice, it is not a walk in the park.

So, given the choice of spending a minimal amount to flare the grommet vs. replacing the grommets, I'll choose the former every time. :)

pmata814, it shouldn't be a problem unless you manage to completely destroy the tieoffs. I seriously doubt that. Flaring is NOT mandatory. If you can do the tie-offs without damaging the grommets, then you don't have to worry about flaring. YMMV.

r,
eagle

Loco4Tennis
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
i agree with posters who say that flair-it tool is worth the money, if you string lots of racquets and/or care about your own and it lasting you a longer, when i got mine i flaired more then the tie off grommet holes in my racquet, anywhere the string makes a hard turn it got flaired, this minmizes the string damage to the grommet over the long run,
as stated above also, the flair it tool helped me fix semi damaged grommets, worth the money IMO

monomakh
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Where does one find a flare-it (or flair-it)?

mtommer
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
All you need to flair a grommet is a hard pointed cone of some sort. Make sure the cone does not extend past the frame one inserted. You can then press the cone into the grommet slowly and carefully to flare it, using the ground to keep the grommet from poking back out of the hole. It doesn't take much effort.

eagle
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
It's called Flare-it.

I don't want to post the competing vendor site but simply do a google search and you'll find it.

r,
eagle

Loco4Tennis
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
google this product "Flare-It Grommet Wizard" not sure why tennis warehouse does not have it
very effective and easy tool to use

CHOcobo
08-28-2009, 09:41 PM
whats a flared grommet?