PDA

View Full Version : Olympic skier to play the Satellites.

Kobble
02-22-2004, 07:52 PM
I just got done reading the latest Tennis Magazine, and a short article about slalom/GS skier Bode Miller was included. He apparently has a very good game, and he claims he will play some of the Satellites in the spring. Apparently, he was a state champion in tenth grade. I definitely have to follow his results once he gets out there. For those who do not know who he is and what his accomplishments conisist of, he is the best slalom and giant slalom skier in the world, and he won two silver medals in the last winter olympics. Last season he captured the world championship in his events by closing a huge gap in his last run, which forced his Austrian competitor to crumble under the pressure. He has an unortodox technique which allows him to cut the turns inside any of his fellow competitors, and carve up the slalom faster than anyone past or present. If anyone was watching, he was the guy who won the MetRX Supertstars event in Jamaica two years ago, where he defeated top NFL and other professional athletes in a variety of physical event(running,bike, swim, obstacle course). In the obstacle course he scaled a 12 foot wall, and was became the only person to never use the rope in the events 20+ year history. One thing is for shure, those players will face one of the best athletes on the planet, let alone a tennis court.

What kind of chances do some of you who are familiar with Bode give him to make it past a few rounds, or possibly into the main draw? I wonder if he will play some of the Futures as well

Anyone who can attend his events should get some stuff on tape if possible.

ohplease
02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
I saw that same article today. I consider this month's Tennis the "your life sucks" issue, partly because of the Bode article, but also becuase of that whole MBA Davis Cup piece as well. One dude's got Olympic medals, these other folks will be financial movers and shakers - and they're all better tennis players than you are. Jeez.

Back on topic - in a sport where preternatural balance and daring are prerequisites, Bode sits back on his tails and makes all the other freaks go "whoa." I'd love to see him play some ball.

@wright
02-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Too bad he's not moving to tennis from a sport like Football, basketball, or baseball. That would actually turn heads and shed some light on tennis and maybe even garner some interest from the public.

Kobble
02-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Your absolutely correct Awright. If more famous people would indulge in tennis as their sport of choice, then it would do wonders for the popularity of it. Golf is obviously the greatest beneficiary of celebrity and professional athlete participation, and it would be a bonus for tennis if it could furhter increase its participation of high profile supporters. However, I think it is a very tall order for an athlete in another professional sport to mantain a level of tennis worthy of pro level competition considering the dedication required to their own area of expertise. With that said, I think Miller is one of the few who have had the prior competitive experience, and a physical regimen that tranfers more than enough onto the secondary sport.

I think the potential influence that many people are missing is the fact that he could revolutionize the way people train for tennis like he did with skiing. I have said for a while that tennis training is way behind many of the top physical sports, and Bode could prove my belief correct by simply taking out a better player by wearing him down physically. I think 5 sets on clay would play right into his hands, but unforunately he will not have that luxury in the Satellites.

I look at this as a great opportunity for tennis. When one of my favorite athletes combines with one of my favorite sports, it brings out excitement in me that Sorentstam brought out in many golfers. Even if the event goes completely unrecognized, and no lasting effect is left on tennis, I will still be completely satisfied with the tennis I experience on a regular basis.

edge
02-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I believe Bode grew up playing tennis and taught tennis at his father's tennis camp.

nfor304
10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Like many celebrities who have played tennis in the past I think this guy has greatly over exageratted his abilities

Bud
10-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Like many celebrities who have played tennis in the past I think this guy has greatly over exageratted his abilities

You do realize this thread was created nearly 7 years ago, correct? :oops:

meltphace 6
10-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Bode Miller w/glove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VEYLPYhc94

MixieP
10-27-2010, 01:46 AM

You do realize this thread was created nearly 7 years ago, correct? :oops:
Yes, that's one thing, but perhaps even more interesting: I'm curious to know what celebrity lurks behind the nick nfor304...?

aceX
10-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Man talk about reviving the dead.

SAFMAN69
10-27-2010, 02:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiscX2VXbvg
he looks average and a bit overweight ;)

nfor304
10-27-2010, 03:08 AM
he didnt look good at all in that clip... Those volleys were abysmal and he really didnt look super athletic at all.

coloskier
10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
He got blown out something like 6-0, 6-1 in the 1st round of US Open regional qualifying in July. He was a very good player in his junior days, but it obviously did not stay with him.

Devilito
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
He got blown out something like 6-0, 6-1 in the 1st round of US Open regional qualifying in July. He was a very good player in his junior days, but it obviously did not stay with him.

The day he qualifies for anything within 100 miles of the US Open grounds is the day our own Tony Lars actually wins the US Open. However I do respect him for following his dream and wish him luck but his goals should be more realistic