PDA

View Full Version : Head d30 Funny stuff!

jppc
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
ok so this is not meant to be as a diss on head cause they're more than an established brand on the game, and im currently playing with a MG Prestige Pro wich i found awesome for the last 4 months and im planning on getting more.

But i was reading trough to heads description on the new material technology used on the new YOUTEK frames and i can't help but laugh over and over again..

Heres the description:

d30
d3o belongs to the "smart materials" category, which is a futuristic material with abnormal behavior characteristics. More specifically, d3o belongs to a subcategory of "dilatant foams", which dramatically change their behavior under dynamic loading or impact. Integrated in the lay-up and positioned in the shaft of the racquet, d3o offers new possibilities for tennis players.

The d3o technology is able to sense the needs of the players during different strokes (it's able to adapt to you). On high-speed impacts (aggressive shots), the smart molecules lock together within nanoseconds and dramatically increase the stiffness of the whole racquet frame to provide maximum power. On slow-speed impacts (slice or drop shots), the d3o molecules absorb the impact to provide a softer touch for better feel. What does this mean to a tennis player? Passing shots are even harder and drop shots more precise, rewarding your spontaneity and supporting your courageous decisions.

So my question is... how much further are racquet companies are going to take us? i don't know 10 or 15 years down the road?

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 09:20 AM
a lot of technologies, as many have pointed out, are just to get people to buy. A couple do work, and that's great, but it's a business and they need their buyers.

jppc
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
i was researching and found interesting videos on this d30 stuff but almost non of them seem applicable to the tennis raquect context... take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgeQpQmCdEI

martinrousev
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
jpcc, d3o as a material exists and behaves just as described. Weather or not it works in the youtek line nobody knows for sure but the general consensus is 'no'.

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
i don't think they could reasonably put a good amount of d3o into a racqute to make it useful. the cost would be too high. they probably do have d3o in the racquets, but not enough to do what they're describing.

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I just saw a clip, and it a beanie with d30 in it costs 65 USD...and it's just a beanie...imagine a whole racket...

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
^^exactly, if they did put a lot of d3o in the racquet, then we'd be paying way more than current retail prices.

javierjavier
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
i can't speak for the speed line, but the radical pro and mp have a pretty unique feel. i'd describe it as soft yet crisp. there is a noticeable stiffness in the throat which is where the d30 is supposedly applied.

so, does it work? well it works as advertised for me. it feels extremely soft on touch and delicate shots, and feels crisp on groundies and serves.

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
^^^^^ i have used both lines, and it does work. how do they get d30 in the whole racquet? by only putting a little in the throat where the racquet flexes.

NoNameZ
08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I have to admit, my experience with the YT Rad MP tells me it has more touch than the previous version, but not totally convinced its the d30.

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
it does has more touch, but its also very stiff on hard groundstrokes.

mtommer
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
So my question is... how much further are racquet companies are going to take us? i don't know 10 or 15 years down the road?

Whatever scientists come up with you'll see integrated into racquets. A good measure of what you'll find to come from Head is to look at their skiis. Their ski line gets the "tech" first, sometimes by a few years.

The funny thing about this "tech" is that cornstarch and water does the same thing I believe and has been used for centuries. New meets old, lol!