PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With My Strings

Topspin Shot
08-28-2009, 10:59 AM
For a while, I have been playing with the hybrid of Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour (mains) and Babolat XCel Premium (crosses). I really enjoy the way this hybrid plays; it offers me the control and the ability to "hit out" that a polyester based string does with a slightly softer feel, so not to hurt my arm.

However, over the past few months, I have learned to hit balls with more pace and much heavier topspin. Now, I am lucky to get in 10 hours with this setup before the XCel Premium (the crosses?!) fray and eventually snap. While the string plays great while it lasts, I can't afford to restring this much.

So, I have decided to either play with a (this is an oxymoron) very soft full polyester or play with a more durable poly-multi hybrid. Does anyone have any suggestions for what strings I should try (either a soft poly or a more durable multifilament to use with the PHT)?

As for my preferred shot selection, I like to try to vary my game plan as much as possible, e.g. I may hit with a lot of topspin to upset an opponent with a one-hander or choose to combine heavy topspin to the backhand and a chop slice to the forehand to frusturate an opponent with a big forehand. However, if I have the choice, I like to roll the ball to my opponents backhand corner with heavy topspin to get a short ball to put away down the line to my opponent's forehand corner.