PDA

View Full Version : i.Prestiges vs. MG Prestiges

dadozen
08-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I have the chance to get a pair of used i.Prestiges. I'm still not aware of their conditions, but I'd like to know how different it plays from the MG Prestiges( both being MP ).

I'm still undecided getting those two used racquets, that I know are classical, or a new MG prestige MP.

Or none at all:D

aggfan
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Are you unhappy with ur 4D 300T and plan to switch to Microgel Prestige MP? Any specific reason why you want to try the Prestige MP. I've tried both the racquets and feel MPMP is a much better racquet that the 300T. The TW reviews might say differently, but I think the best judgement is when you demo urself.

dr325i
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I have the chance to get a pair of used i.Prestiges. I'm still not aware of their conditions, but I'd like to know how different it plays from the MG Prestiges( both being MP ).

I'm still undecided getting those two used racquets, that I know are classical, or a new MG prestige MP.

Or none at all:D

iPrestige has higher SW, feels stiffer, and is more powerful.
EXCELLENT stick though, very stable and the best sound out there.

MichaelChang
08-28-2009, 05:22 PM
One obvious difference is the I.Prestiges are made in Austria, and the MG ones are made in China. Which ones have more reliable quality control, well, you know what to choose...

dr325i
08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
One obvious difference is the I.Prestiges are made in Austria, and the MG ones are made in China. Which ones have more reliable quality control, well, you know what to choose...

BLAH, blah...a myth
I had 4 iPrestiges, their static weight varied by 20g across...

The MG Prestige line is just fine, ESPECIALLY for 98% of us on this board.

pshulam
08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
BLAH, blah...a myth ..
Agreed. I am tired of hearing that rackets made in Austria are far more superior to those made elsewhere, e.g. China. Since most rackets are now manufactured in China, can we infer that modern rackets are inferior in comparison to previous generations of rackets manufactured in Europe or U.S.A?

dadozen
08-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Oh guys, don't get me wrong, I'm loving my 300Ts. I'm even waiting for the 4th racquet to be delivered home.

I have just found an opportunity to get a pair of i.Prestiges at a very good price. You know, as a devoted TW poster, I have the new toy syndrome:D And I knew that these racquets have loyal fans.

I'm thinking that it it might be too heavy for me though.

Matt21
08-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I used to play with the i.Prestige MP years ago and sold it, but then bought another one used (recently) for nostalgia's sake. I realized then why I got rid of it originally. They are crisp and hit a heavy ball, but they are stiff compared to the MG and are harsher on the arm/elbow. Microgel Prestige MP, for me, required lead and leather to play decently, but it is a more comfortable frame.

So, if you want to get that i.Prestige to be a "girlfriend on the side" :) go ahead, but just like the case with GFs on the side, you'll find in the long run that they annoy you in some way that's intolerable and your "wife" racquet will treat you better. LOL

Matt21
08-28-2009, 09:12 PM
BTW, I have a pair of 4D 300 Tours as well and even though I have them leathered and leaded, they still are a bit light and thus, IMO are better suited to offense than defense (block returns don't do as well with them as with my AG200).

dadozen
08-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I used to play with the i.Prestige MP years ago and sold it, but then bought another one used (recently) for nostalgia's sake. I realized then why I got rid of it originally. They are crisp and hit a heavy ball, but they are stiff compared to the MG and are harsher on the arm/elbow. Microgel Prestige MP, for me, required lead and leather to play decently, but it is a more comfortable frame.

So, if you want to get that i.Prestige to be a "girlfriend on the side" :) go ahead, but just like the case with GFs on the side, you'll find in the long run that they annoy you in some way that's intolerable and your "wife" racquet will treat you better. LOL

That was a very funny, yet very useful post! Thanks man!:D

BTW, I have a pair of 4D 300 Tours as well and even though I have them leathered and leaded, they still are a bit light and thus, IMO are better suited to offense than defense (block returns don't do as well with them as with my AG200).

Glad to know that you have both and could compare them. I feel that the weight of the 300T is at a very nice level for me, although I have 5g of lead inside the butt cap. I think that the i.Prestiges would be too heavy, and maybe getting a MGPMP as a "girlfriend on the side"(LOL) would be better. But I really need to stop buying stuffO.o

Supracool94
08-29-2009, 05:31 AM
One good thing about the i.prestige, is that they were all (or most of them) made in Austria!

dr325i
08-29-2009, 05:39 AM
One good thing about the i.prestige, is that they were all (or most of them) made in Austria!

Why is that a good thing?

Supracool94
08-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Austrian Craftsmanship vs Chinese Craftsmanship

No contest at all!

Meaghan
08-29-2009, 05:46 AM

I had 2 iprestiges made in austria, quality control?? one was 7pts HL one was 2pts HL!!

Overated stick IMO, very stiff, no spin. S&V stick for flat hitters.

The MG is a nice stick, less power but easier to use.

The i.radical MP is an even better racket with a bit of customisation. But IMO I would look sommewhere else, something that is similar in spec with more spin and power is the EX03 Rebel.

Supracool94
08-29-2009, 05:55 AM
The i.prestige is a great stick! I got tons of spin on my kick serves and top spin forehands.

I never met and anyone using this stick that was a flat serve and volleyer, they were usually big topspin base liners or all courters

I have weighed all my i.prestige racquets, and they all weigh exactly the same without any modifications. They are beautifully crafted racquets.

I only reason I switched to MG Prestige is because I got a chance to get the 237.1 models.

Meaghan
08-29-2009, 06:23 AM
The i.prestige is a great stick! I got tons of spin on my kick serves and top spin forehands.

I never met and anyone using this stick that was a flat serve and volleyer, they were usually big topspin base liners or all courters

I have weighed all my i.prestige racquets, and they all weigh exactly the same without any modifications. They are beautifully crafted racquets.

I only reason I switched to MG Prestige is because I got a chance to get the 237.1 models.

maybe you do but Im making a comparison with my other rackets.
its the same with the i.rad it has more power, less spin than the LM for instance.
They are beautiful to look at and are deffo a serve volley stick, I dont know anyone who lumbers round the baseline with a stick that is the stiffest ive ever played with ( i think its 64 flex but acts more like 74). Very tiring racket.

Is there so much difference between a normal prestige mid made in china and its austrian counterpart 237.1??
There are a lot of people who rave about "made in austria" but most of my A team players at the club have no idea kennelbach even existed. I do admit they feel better build quality but that doesnt make much odds for average joes like us. Its like tennis snobbery, players on here wax lyrical but couldnt tell the difference between one or another.
I have a pyramid tour made in austria, its beautiful, there is a special feel to it, maybe the Twaron?, but i get the same from the floating stringbed of my rebel. I get more spin from my rebel and OPT and I serve just as well with all of them.
I am seduced by the quality of it tho and it sits in my bag and says 'play with me' but i bypass it for the good old china!

dadozen
08-29-2009, 06:23 AM
What's good about the 237.1 models? Sorry for my newbieness, but I've never had HEAD racquets before.

Meaghan
08-29-2009, 06:30 AM
What's good about the 237.1 models? Sorry for my newbieness, but I've never had HEAD racquets before.

I think the 237.1 is the made in austria version, they are made for pros and for their specifications so unless that suits you then.....
As i said above some players like to go on about their pt's and ps's and 237.1, its a form of tennis snobbery, the number 1 seed in my club this year plays with a lightweight head racket hes had since he was about 12, he's 5.5 NTRP and whoops my Twaron fibred, made in austria ***!!

dr325i
08-29-2009, 07:32 AM

Hate to burst your (snobby) bubble, but the TGK sticks are MADE IN CHINA...

Furthermore, your previous comment applies to Austrian craftmanship vs. Chinese 20 years ago. Today, things are different...

Bottom line, for you, I, 98% of people on this board, the Chinese craftmanship is all we need...

dr325i
08-29-2009, 07:34 AM
I think the 237.1 is the made in austria version, they are made for pros and for their specifications so unless that suits you then.....
As i said above some players like to go on about their pt's and ps's and 237.1, its a form of tennis snobbery, the number 1 seed in my club this year plays with a lightweight head racket hes had since he was about 12, he's 5.5 NTRP and whoops my Twaron fibred, made in austria ***!!

Nope, they are Made in China, just like the racket he calls a "junk" above....

dincuss
08-29-2009, 07:53 AM
^^
I recommend listening to dr325i
he knows his prestiges

Meaghan
08-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Nope, they are Made in China, just like the racket he calls a "junk" above....

Hahaha funny. Thanks for clearing that up...

AndrewD
08-29-2009, 02:35 PM
iPrestige has higher SW,

That isn't necessarily true. There were two runs of the i-Prestige, the first one having a higher swingweight than the second.

evantsung
08-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Snobbery or not, most of you cannot get away from Ďmade in Chinaí sticks bc thatís all Wilson, Prince, Dunlop etc offered for the past 20 years and youíre stuck with it. The Head users of the older models do have a choice to choose China version or Austria version. Head has been making racquets for many years in Austria. They have their quality, experience, and craftsmanship no one will argue against. Then they started to switch over to China during the PT 280 and Prestige models, so it is safe to say that there are differences in quality from switching plants. We are talking about years of experience in quality control in Austria, all of a sudden, to a brand new factory in China. Of course, during startup, there will be people from Austria in the China plant to oversee the operations. But the transition will yield some lower quality products bc they canít reject everything that doesnít pass high tolerance QC. They have to keep the flow of product into the market to recover the startup cost. This is where the users of Head older model racquets have the freedom to choose. No need to call people Ďsnobsí. They have options to choose, when you donít. Itís just common sense to choose one over the other. If BMW started to produce the 3 series in China for their 2010 model, would you choose the 2009 model made in Germany, or 2010 model made in China? No doubt China manufacturers have improved vastly over the years. Now, every racquet manufacurer in China can produce beautiful racquets, and there should be no reason to doubt their qualities. But itís just during that transition period of the PT 280 and Prestige that some people are concerned about.

dr325i
08-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Snobbery or not, most of you cannot get away from Ďmade in Chinaí sticks bc thatís all Wilson, Prince, Dunlop etc offered for the past 20 years and youíre stuck with it. The Head users of the older models do have a choice to choose China version or Austria version. Head has been making racquets for many years in Austria. They have their quality, experience, and craftsmanship no one will argue against. Then they started to switch over to China during the PT 280 and Prestige models, so it is safe to say that there are differences in quality from switching plants. We are talking about years of experience in quality control in Austria, all of a sudden, to a brand new factory in China. Of course, during startup, there will be people from Austria in the China plant to oversee the operations. But the transition will yield some lower quality products bc they canít reject everything that doesnít pass high tolerance QC. They have to keep the flow of product into the market to recover the startup cost. This is where the users of Head older model racquets have the freedom to choose. No need to call people Ďsnobsí. They have options to choose, when you donít. Itís just common sense to choose one over the other. If BMW started to produce the 3 series in China for their 2010 model, would you choose the 2009 model made in Germany, or 2010 model made in China? No doubt China manufacturers have improved vastly over the years. Now, every racquet manufacurer in China can produce beautiful racquets, and there should be no reason to doubt their qualities. But itís just during that transition period of the PT 280 and Prestige that some people are concerned about.

Snobbery term was used to point out that the TGK238.1 sticks were also Made in China...last and this year! Waaayyy past that "transition" period that you mentioned above...

The BMW does produce 5 series models in China, and they are the same quality as the BMW produced in Germany and in South Africa.

Airbus just started making their planes in China, too -- are you going to avoid flying 2009 and newer Airbus?

evantsung
08-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Wilson produced the Prostaff Original in Chicago in the past. Then they moved to SV, then Taiwan, then China. Most are satisfied with their Taiwanese and Chinese version, but some people are picky and want the Chicago or SV version. They insist that they play better. Are they considered 'snobs' also? There are people who can tell the difference in differnt version of the same stick, so no, they can't be considered 'snobs'. They are just pickey...

dr325i
08-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Wilson produced the Prostaff Original in Chicago in the past. Then they moved to SV, then Taiwan, then China. Most are satisfied with their Taiwanese and Chinese version, but some people are picky and want the Chicago or SV version. They insist that they play better. Are they considered 'snobs' also? There are people who can tell the difference in differnt version of the same stick, so no, they can't be considered 'snobs'. They are just pickey...

AGAIN, read my reply above!

I get your point and I definitely felt the difference between the PT280 Made in Austria and Made in China.

However, the "snob" above switched to the TGK238.1 thinking it was another Austrian quality product...turns out, Chinese can make a great stick, too...

Supracool94
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Hate to burst your (snobby) bubble, but the TGK sticks are MADE IN CHINA...

Furthermore, your previous comment applies to Austrian craftmanship vs. Chinese 20 years ago. Today, things are different...

Bottom line, for you, I, 98% of people on this board, the Chinese craftmanship is all we need...

When I bought the TGK Frames, I was led to believe they were produced in Austria. A well known member from this board sold them to me on e by the bay claiming they were made in Austria.

I'm not a snob, I just prefer not to use Chinese made items when I can avoid it. I never said Chinese racquets were crap!

So today things are different in regards to Chinese Craftmanship, I don't know if you are aware but we have had many recalls in USA on chinese products from kid's toys to dog food! Many people lost pets due to Chinese Craftsmanship!

If my life depended on a product, I would much rather it be produced in Austria than in china. That's probably why the California Highway Patrol use Austrian made firearms and not Chinese ones!

dr325i
08-29-2009, 07:27 PM
When I bought the TGK Frames, I was led to believe they were produced in Austria. A well known member from this board sold them to me on e by the bay claiming they were made in Austria.

I'm not a snob, I just prefer not to use Chinese made items when I can avoid it. I never said Chinese racquets were crap!

So today things are different in regards to Chinese Craftmanship, I don't know if you are aware but we have had many recalls in USA on chinese products from kid's toys to dog food! Many people lost pets due to Chinese Craftsmanship!

If my life depended on a product, I would much rather it be produced in Austria than in china. That's probably why the California Highway Patrol use Austrian made firearms and not Chinese ones!

Again, you are talking crap...
You get what you pay for.
Look at the Fords and their recalls that killed people (explorers flipping, etc). Aicraft (AF447) that recently crashed due to European (not Chinese) faulty pitot tubes, and we could go on and on. WOuld you rather drive American or Chinese car. If you say American, then look at what % inside stuff is Chinese...

Anyway, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the rackets you and I play with, or the racket Federer plays with or... They are all Chinese.

Furthermore, you still live under impression based 20 years ago or wrong propaganda against Chinese products (especially rackets)

max200G
08-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Chinese cars failing crash test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHZqcKj7jNM

Now compare the above with these crash tests and tell me which automobile you would rather be in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtEWGzXfYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6L2SgrLS_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7vPH_EqIws

dr325i
08-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Chinese cars failing crash test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHZqcKj7jNM

Now compare the above with these crash tests and tell me which automobile you would rather be in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtEWGzXfYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6L2SgrLS_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7vPH_EqIws

How old is Chinese auto industry?
How about German???

Read the whole thread before jumping in and comparing Chinese cars to the B***.

Again, you can buy 4 Chinese cars for the price of one BMW...you get what you paid for...

Supracool94
08-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Look at the Fords and their recalls that killed people (explorers flipping, etc). Aicraft (AF447) that recently crashed due to European (not Chinese) faulty pitot tubes, and we could go on and on. WOuld you rather drive American or Chinese car. If you say American, then look at what % inside stuff is Chinese...

Anyway, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the rackets you and I play with, or the racket Federer plays with or... They are all Chinese.

Furthermore, you still live under impression based 20 years ago or wrong propaganda against Chinese products (especially rackets)

Tell all of that to all those people, who's pets died eating that wonderful Chinese Dog Food!

geesechops
08-29-2009, 11:55 PM
The TGK or PT's are nice because they come lighter stock than the retails so you can mod your own specs without getting too heavy.

Meaghan
08-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Lets stop all this sillyness!
the snobbery term was brought up by me who thought some people on this board look down upon others cos they have the specail made in austria label. I made a comparison with one of my club members who beet the crap out of me with some lightweight chinese model he bought in a thrift store. And there's me with my Pyramid tour man...........!!!
There is a difference yes but it means nothing to most of us, I play better with my chinese stick than i do my austrian stick, same spec too.
Lets stick to the thread...........

corners
08-30-2009, 01:52 AM

I see you've risen the defense of Chinese manufacturing in the post above and throughout this thread. And while I agree that quality control has, in general, improved in China over the years, there remains many good reasons people are leary of Chinese-made products.

I've lived in China for several years and can tell you that Chinese players covet Austrian-made Heads just like everyone else. Does that tell you something?

Same thing with cars - Chinese consumers will choose a foreign-made model over a domestically manufactured American, German or Japanese model every time - even if it's the same model.

Until you've lived here it's impossible to imagine what lengths people will go to get around 'quality control'. I don't mean to be a snob, but the notion of commitment to quality, in any craft, is very hard to find in China.

All that said, I do agree with you that Chinese-made frames are good enough for just about everyone, especially if you can select frames that are close to, or on spec.

But, I have to say, I often wonder if that expensive kevlar gets into every single Chinese-made K90. I've got many friends doing business in China. A couple friends own restaurants, for example, and every time they leave town their hand-picked management will immediately (I mean the next day) begin switching out ingredients for cheaper alternatives. One guy owns a fancy American-style steakhouse in Shanghai. The night after the last time he left town a friend visited the restaurant and found that his fresh, hot bread now came with margarine instead of butter!

This is a very common way to do petty embezzlement in China. It seems absurd, but most people only make $10-20/day, so a little butter here and little kevlar there can add up in a hurry. Now, this is common knowledge, so I imagine the Babolats and Wilsons try their best to keep an eye on things...But there's an old saying in China: "You can always fool a foreigner."

Supracool94
08-30-2009, 03:58 AM
I see you've risen the defense of Chinese manufacturing in the post above and throughout this thread. And while I agree that quality control has, in general, improved in China over the years, there remains many good reasons people are leary of Chinese-made products.

I've lived in China for several years and can tell you that Chinese players covet Austrian-made Heads just like everyone else. Does that tell you something?

Same thing with cars - Chinese consumers will choose a foreign-made model over a domestically manufactured American, German or Japanese model every time - even if it's the same model.

Until you've lived here it's impossible to imagine what lengths people will go to get around 'quality control'. I don't mean to be a snob, but the notion of commitment to quality, in any craft, is very hard to find in China.

All that said, I do agree with you that Chinese-made frames are good enough for just about everyone, especially if you can select frames that are close to, or on spec.

But, I have to say, I often wonder if that expensive kevlar gets into every single Chinese-made K90. I've got many friends doing business in China. A couple friends own restaurants, for example, and every time they leave town their hand-picked management will immediately (I mean the next day) begin switching out ingredients for cheaper alternatives. One guy owns a fancy American-style steakhouse in Shanghai. The night after the last time he left town a friend visited the restaurant and found that his fresh, hot bread now came with margarine instead of butter!

This is a very common way to do petty embezzlement in China. It seems absurd, but most people only make $10-20/day, so a little butter here and little kevlar there can add up in a hurry. Now, this is common knowledge, so I imagine the Babolats and Wilsons try their best to keep an eye on things...But there's an old saying in China: "You can always fool a foreigner."

Very good informative post!

dr325i
08-30-2009, 05:32 AM

Good input, thanks.
First of all, I "lived" in China in 2005/06. I dealt with China in the late 90s and stopped in 2007. So, I have seen China's development and QC on many products change over those 10 years...

I have seen MANY American restaurants that switched from "butter" to "margarine", cut down the portions, took away the side items that were included in the meals, etc.

I also lived (was born and raised) all over Europe. If you're interested I can add that part into this discussion... The saying you mentioned at the ens applies to many parts of the world...including the good old Austria...