PDA

View Full Version : Nick is thinking about a getting a new frame!

NickC
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok guys, it's getting close to being 2 years with my Prince o3 Tour MPs, which are in good condition but are wearing out after too much play (I don't throw or smash frames but they do wear out if you guys understand what I'm saying). However, my folks haven't gotten me anything in terms of Christmas gifts or birthday presents since Christmas 07, and I was thinking of getting a few new frames. Normally, I'd just try to buy a few more of my Prince frames, but as noted, they're simply not available anymore :cry:. So I've been casually looking at new frames to see what's good and what's not. I've also been working out a bit lately and this winter I plan on hitting the pool and hitting the gym a lot more than I am now, so would it be better to get some new sticks now or next summer after the results of my intensive workout plan come to fruition?

But, going back to the original question, what should I demo? I'm completely lost, so I've turned to you guys to help me out!

Here's a bit about me, my game, and what sticks I've tried.

Me: 5'10, 140, but I plan on adding atleast 10-15 pounds in muscle in the off season.

My game: 5.0-ish player, my style is somewhat defensive but when I want to I can really go for my shots and they're pretty big as well. I like to come into net when I can. My first serve tops out around 110 or 115 miles per hour. Second serve is usually a weak kick or a hard slice, the slice I consider to be my best serve, which has a nasty amount of spin on it and my coach thinks it's about 85 miles per hour. I hit the ball with a little bit of spin on my forehand and backhand, but it's generally quite flat for someone who grew up playing on clay and har-tru. My swing style is very fast, I also tend to hit the ball quite hard.

My setup: Prince o3 Tour MP strung with Technifibre Black Code at 53.5 pounds with lead at 11 and 1. My frames (I would guess) weigh somewhere between 12 and 12.3 ounces. I string with a hybrid of Black Code and X1 or nrg2 for doubles.

What my racquet preferences are, and what I've tried recently:
Preferences:
~Thin beam (under 21 mm beam)
~Not too heavy (under 12.3 ounces)
~Room for some light customization, if possible.
~100 sq in. headsize or under
~Even or headlight balance
~Not super stiff
~Somewhat new. I don't want to fall in love with a frame and find out it's discontinued.

I DON'T HAVE A PREFERENCE AS TO WHO MAKES THE FRAME!!!

What I've tried within the past few years, and what I think about them
~Prince Ozone Tour MP (didn't like it one bit, I couldn't get a feel for it, I thought it would be similar to the o3 Tour but I was very, very wrong)
~Prince EX03 Graphite MP (sounded strange on contact and when I swung it and felt (and sounded) really, really weird)
~Prince Speedport Tour (served HUGE with it, but that's about all I could manage to do, couldn't hit a groundie to save my life!)
~Prince Diablo MP (I liked this frame a TON, but it's hard to find them nowadays)
~Prince Speedport Black (played like the Pure Drive; in other words, I hated this frame. Felt like a trampoline)
~Prince EX03 Rebel TEAM (no feel whatsoever, and I just didn't like it. At all.)
~Babolat Pure Drive (too powerful and "boardy")
~Babolat Pure Control TEAM (sick frame, but it wasn't for me, wasn't what I was looking for in a frame at the time)
~Babolat Pure Storm Tour (felt like a toy)
~Babolat Pure Storm LTD (felt great, but I don't want to get a frame if it's going to be discontinued within a few months!)
~Babolat AreoStorm Tour (didn't play long enough to get a real feel for the thing, but I liked what I felt)
~Babolat Pure Drive Cortex (awful frame, felt terrible, Babolat should be ashamed for making such a POS)
~Babolat Areopro Drive (not bad, but meh)
~Head Flexpoint Prestige mid (meh, wasn't my thing)
~Head Microgel Radical (hated it)
~Head Youtek Radical MP (felt bizzare, and couldn't serve for the life of me with it)
~Head Microgel Prestige Pro (couldn't get a feel for it, but that might have been because of the 4 5/8 gripsize, when I use a 4 3/8)
~Head Prestige Classic 600 (Amazing. Absolutely orgasmic feel, amazing to serve with, and an absolute blast to bomb it from the backcourt :D)
~Volkl C10 Pro (great on serves, and on volleys, but off the ground didn't feel right)
~Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine mid (never got a feel for it)
~Volkl DNX 8 (a blast to play with, but like the Diablo, hard to find!)
~Yonex RDS 002 (don't remember playing all that great with it)
~Wilson K Blade 98 (felt soft in the air, but just couldn't dial it in off the ground)
~Wilson KSixone Tour 90 (sweet frame, but my balls weren't landing as deep as I wanted them to, and I couldn't get enough pace on my serve to really control the point. It also felt sluggish in long matches, but that's probably due to my poor conditioning)
~Wilson K Zen TEAM (my old man's frame. Absolute POS)
~Wilson K Surge TEAM FX (my little brother's frame. Trash, IMO. Felt awful, too powerful, etc...)
~Wilson K 6.1 95 (hated it. simply hated it, nothing like the Hyper Carbon 6.1's I own)
~Wilson N 6.1 95 (I liked it a lot, but they're impossible to find)
~Dunlop Areogel 300 (didn't get to play with it for very long, but it felt pretty nice off the ground and at ned)
~Dunlop Areogel 500 Tour (lots of spin and power, but I never had that feeling that made it stand out)
~Dunlop Areogel 200 (just didn't like it)
~Adidas Barricade Tour (the strangest feeling I've ever gotten from a racquet)

So, can anyone help? Should I revisit some of the sticks I listed above? Or am I too picky with my frames to warrant any kind of help? Should I go back and try some of these frames with my usual string and lead setup instead of demo strings or someone else's preferences? Let me know, any help is appreciated!

NickH87
08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Do you ever play at Wilton High School by any chance???

I remember playing at night time during the early summer and seeing two guys playing and one had the prince 03 tour with black strings, maybe have been you?

NickC
08-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Do you ever play at Wilton High School by any chance???

I remember playing at night time during the early summer and seeing two guys playing and one had the prince 03 tour with black strings, maybe have been you?

*looks around*...maybe...why???*eyes the room nervously*

Uh, seriously, what'd you think of him? Yeah, that is me. Nice guess, spot on buddy. Have I seen you there before?

JJK947
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Babolat Pure Storm LTD (felt great, but I don't want to get a frame if it's going to be discontinued within a few months!)

The GT version of this racquet just came out. I'm dying to hit with it, probably could only be better than the previous.

10isplayer
08-28-2009, 06:49 PM
You should try out the new Pure Storm LTD GT. I hear its fairly similar to the older model

Power Player
08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
The Donnays deliver big time..you'd probably love them.

pmerk34
08-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Ok guys, it's getting close to being 2 years with my Prince o3 Tour MPs, which are in good condition but are wearing out after too much play (I don't throw or smash frames but they do wear out if you guys understand what I'm saying). However, my folks haven't gotten me anything in terms of Christmas gifts or birthday presents since Christmas 07, and I was thinking of getting a few new frames. Normally, I'd just try to buy a few more of my Prince frames, but as noted, they're simply not available anymore :cry:. So I've been casually looking at new frames to see what's good and what's not. I've also been working out a bit lately and this winter I plan on hitting the pool and hitting the gym a lot more than I am now, so would it be better to get some new sticks now or next summer after the results of my intensive workout plan come to fruition?

But, going back to the original question, what should I demo? I'm completely lost, so I've turned to you guys to help me out!

Me: 5'10, 140, but I plan on adding atleast 10-15 pounds in muscle in the off season.

My game: 5.0-ish player, my style is somewhat defensive but when I want to I can really go for my shots and they're pretty big as well. I like to come into net when I can. My first serve tops out around 110 or 115 miles per hour. Second serve is usually a weak kick or a hard slice, the slice I consider to be my best serve, which has a nasty amount of spin on it and my coach thinks it's about 85 miles per hour. I hit the ball with a little bit of spin on my forehand and backhand, but it's generally quite flat for someone who grew up playing on clay and har-tru. My swing style is very fast, I also tend to hit the ball quite hard.

My setup: Prince o3 Tour MP strung with Technifibre Black Code at 53.5 pounds with lead at 11 and 1. My frames (I would guess) weigh somewhere between 12 and 12.3 ounces. I string with a hybrid of Black Code and X1 or nrg2 for doubles.

Preferences:
~Not super stiff
~Somewhat new. I don't want to fall in love with a frame and find out it's discontinued.

~Prince Ozone Tour MP (didn't like it one bit, I couldn't get a feel for it, I thought it would be similar to the o3 Tour but I was very, very wrong)
~Prince EX03 Graphite MP (sounded strange on contact and when I swung it and felt (and sounded) really, really weird)
~Prince Speedport Tour (served HUGE with it, but that's about all I could manage to do, couldn't hit a groundie to save my life!)
~Prince Diablo MP (I liked this frame a TON, but it's hard to find them nowadays)
~Prince Speedport Black (played like the Pure Drive; in other words, I hated this frame. Felt like a trampoline)
~Prince EX03 Rebel TEAM (no feel whatsoever, and I just didn't like it. At all.)
~Babolat Pure Control TEAM (sick frame, but it wasn't for me, wasn't what I was looking for in a frame at the time)
~Babolat Pure Storm LTD (felt great, but I don't want to get a frame if it's going to be discontinued within a few months!)
~Babolat AreoStorm Tour (didn't play long enough to get a real feel for the thing, but I liked what I felt)
~Babolat Pure Drive Cortex (awful frame, felt terrible, Babolat should be ashamed for making such a POS)
~Head Youtek Radical MP (felt bizzare, and couldn't serve for the life of me with it)
~Head Microgel Prestige Pro (couldn't get a feel for it, but that might have been because of the 4 5/8 gripsize, when I use a 4 3/8)
~Head Prestige Classic 600 (Amazing. Absolutely orgasmic feel, amazing to serve with, and an absolute blast to bomb it from the backcourt :D)
~Volkl C10 Pro (great on serves, and on volleys, but off the ground didn't feel right)
~Wilson K Blade 98 (felt soft in the air, but just couldn't dial it in off the ground)
~Wilson KSixone Tour 90 (sweet frame, but my balls weren't landing as deep as I wanted them to, and I couldn't get enough pace on my serve to really control the point. It also felt sluggish in long matches, but that's probably due to my poor conditioning)
~Wilson K Surge TEAM FX (my little brother's frame. Trash, IMO. Felt awful, too powerful, etc...)
~Wilson K 6.1 95 (hated it. simply hated it, nothing like the Hyper Carbon 6.1's I own)
~Dunlop Areogel 300 (didn't get to play with it for very long, but it felt pretty nice off the ground and at ned)
~Dunlop Areogel 500 Tour (lots of spin and power, but I never had that feeling that made it stand out)

So, can anyone help? Should I revisit some of the sticks I listed above? Or am I too picky with my frames to warrant any kind of help? Should I go back and try some of these frames with my usual string and lead setup instead of demo strings or someone else's preferences? Let me know, any help is appreciated!

Unless you know some guys to sell you juice you aren't naturally adding 15 lbs of muscle in one off season.

NickH87
08-28-2009, 10:26 PM
*looks around*...maybe...why???*eyes the room nervously*

Uh, seriously, what'd you think of him? Yeah, that is me. Nice guess, spot on buddy. Have I seen you there before?

Lol I really dont even know, I was pretty into my game but the one thing I remember either you or the other guy saying was that you had a match in the morning so I dont think you guys were actually playing, just hitting around and practicing serves.

NickC
08-29-2009, 04:50 AM
Unless you know some guys to sell you juice you aren't naturally adding 15 lbs of muscle in one off season.

You'd be surprised. I gained about 5 pounds in muscle (and grew half an inch) in about a month after running two or three times a week and by eliminating all forms of wheat from my diet. My doctor says wheat consumption stunts growth and I still have yet to finish growing and I haven't even started "filling out" yet. Now that I've joined a gym and plan on working out 4 days a week (and one of those will be with a trainer) and swimming 1 or 2 days, I think 15 pounds is quite manageable in the stretch of September/October - March/April.

pmerk34
08-29-2009, 04:53 AM
You'd be surprised. I gained about 5 pounds in muscle (and grew half an inch) in about a month after running two or three times a week and by eliminating all forms of wheat from my diet. My doctor says wheat consumption stunts growth and I still have yet to finish growing and I haven't even started "filling out" yet. Now that I've joined a gym and plan on working out 4 days a week (and one of those will be with a trainer) and swimming 1 or 2 days, I think 15 pounds is quite manageable in the stretch of September/October - March/April.

Then you can smoke some fools on the tennis court.

dadozen
08-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Nick, I see that you liked the AG300, but since you want a heavier racquet, and didn't like the 200, I'd suggest you the AG 4D 300 Tour. It's heavier than the stock AG 4D 300, but still has room for customization( 320g strung ).

Very stable and solid, tight string pattern( 18x20 ) as the PSL, plays like a heavier racquet without being so heavy, so it becomes very maneveurable. If you still think it's a bit too light, then you can add some lead at the hoop and some at the handle to keep its balance.

Cheers,

Ljubicic for number1
08-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Nick, I see that you liked the AG300, but since you want a heavier racquet, and didn't like the 200, I'd suggest you the AG 4D 300 Tour. It's heavier than the stock AG 4D 300, but still has room for customization( 320g strung ).

Very stable and solid, tight string pattern( 18x20 ) as the PSL, plays like a heavier racquet without being so heavy, so it becomes very maneveurable. If you still think it's a bit too light, then you can add some lead at the hoop and some at the handle to keep its balance.

Cheers,

I don't really see him liking the 300 tour, it feels very hollow and tinny/cheap compared to the o3 tour. Even leaded up it had no substance for me. Worth a demo though, I see quiet a few people here like them for some reason. I thought the original 16 x 19 aerogel 300 played much better than the tour even though it is lighter it was way more solid.

fuzz nation
08-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi-karumba, that's one laundry list of racquets, amigo!

I think that one aspect of the general pickle you're in is that no racquet you try will feel especially "right", since it's going to be different from that Prince you've been using in one way or another - that racquet is somewhat unique I think. Also, if you've been getting "snapshot impressions" from a lot of these bats with only brief demo sessions, it's not too likely that you can settle in with many of them all too well. It'd definitely better than nothing, though - when I absolutely cannot identify with a racquet, I can't even swing it for more than about three minutes.

When I was on my racquet walkabout, one thing I tried to do was to keep a set of notes on the different frames that I tried along the way. That eventually paid off as a handy reference - your fuzzy memory of your trial with the RDS 002 Tour reminded me of this. Any general impressions or specific observations that you scratch down might help to steer you in the right direction.

Yonex frames in general seem to be sort of their own animal in the racquet world - they're rather nice, but I've noodled with three or four models and they do seem to have a mildly different personality than typical oval-shaped frames. A quick demo with any of them may not tell a player much if they don't already know Yonex. Their RQiS 1 Tour is an interesting frame in that it has crisp yet forgiving feel, performance of a softer racquet (extra flex in the throat), and it can certainly be customized. I don't usually like lead, but I cheered up one of these frames for myself in no time.

In general, I think the Dunlop 300's are decent and you can always customize those racquets, too. Your Volkl experience was interesting - I use the C10's all the time now, but it took me about a year and a half to get my strings right and settle in with them... really. For me, the mids from Volkl and Boris Becker look like some of the more interesting options around currently, but I haven't gotten out with them.

When I had the money handy, I was picking up cheap frames here and there from the TT Classifieds with a sort of "buy it to try it" approach that I really couldn't afford to do with the new gear. Since I string my own racquets, I could dial them in and do what I wanted with them while I had them. You might want to consider this on occasion if you think there's a good option out there that you need to try out for a while. I've enjoyed some good trading on the boards here, too.

You sound a little picky to me, but I think there's a huge upside to that; you're a lot less likely to settle for a lemon. I have a big ol' pile of frames in my room that were great for helping me learn about the gear in general, but it will be a long, slow process of finding new homes for a number of them. As far as your demos go, enjoy the process.

rosen88
08-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Nick,

Try the kBlade Tour, Dunlop 4D 300 Tour and maybe wait for the new Wilson 6.1, Wilson 6.1 Tour to be released in Jan 10. Someone told me that Head is trying to make a Youtek Prestige that will be released Jan 10 and that will be close to the Prestige Classic 600 in feeling.

// Rosen

NovakWannabe
08-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks Rosen, informative as always!

All I can think of recommending this the Tecnifibre VO2 320. From what I hear it's pretty good.

ronalditop
08-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Whos nick?

NovakWannabe
08-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Nick is the OP.

NickC
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Whos nick?

Me; my name is Nick, if you couldn't tell. I posted this topic. I'm looking into getting some new frames.

tennismsands
08-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Mabye try the Head Youtek Speed Pro, although its 12.4 ounces strung. If it is too heavy you can try the Spped MP 18x20 or 16x 19 versions, which are both 11.8 ounces strung and you could always add lead type or customize it a little, like you said in the first post.

Danstevens
08-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Well Nick, you've certainly tried a fair amount of frames there.

When I saw the title and then what you were looking for, I came up with a list of frames in my head. Then I scrolled down. It turns out, you tried most of my ideas and thought they were trash lol. Actually, looking at what you like and don't like, you've got fairly similar tastes in rackets to me (although I seem to prefer slightly heavier frames).

I would advise a look at the new Pure Storm Ltd GT and maybe the Head YouTek Speed Pro. Or, as rosen88 suggested, there are a few racket releases in the reasonably near future that might take your fancy a bit more.

ronalditop
08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Me; my name is Nick, if you couldn't tell. I posted this topic. I'm looking into getting some new frames.

Haha I know, I was just joking bc the title of the thread is in third person, like if it was referring to another guy.

pmerk34
08-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Preferences:
~Not super stiff

I think it's you Nick and not the racquets. No 5.0 should be that picky with his frames.

Mansewerz
08-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Um, no, the only way you will gain 15 lbs of muscle in one offseason without juice is a growth spurt.

If you gain 15 lbs, it's not all muscle, i'd say you only gain at most 5-10 lbs of muscle (more towards the 6-7 lb end), and the rest is water/fat/glycogen.

NickC
08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Um, no, the only way you will gain 15 lbs of muscle in one offseason without juice is a growth spurt.

If you gain 15 lbs, it's not all muscle, i'd say you only gain at most 5-10 lbs of muscle (more towards the 6-7 lb end), and the rest is water/fat/glycogen.

Well, I'm still growing and as of today, I've grown an inch (from 5'9 to 5'10) since the beginning of the sumer. Hopefully I'll end up around 5'11-6'1 or somewhere between that.

NickC
08-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I think it's you Nick and not the racquets. No 5.0 should be that picky with his frames.

Nah, it's not me. I'm picky because I don't want to get a racquet and hate it after the honeymoon period. I get new frames every 2-3 years, and I don't want to have to plunk 400+ down on 2 new frames plus stringing and then end up hating them and having to sell at a significant loss less than 5 months later. I want something that feels great and I will play well with from the day one until the last hitting session before I make the permanent switch.

pmerk34
08-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Baseball players were routinely putting on 15lbs of muscle in the off season and now we know why.

Mansewerz
08-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, I'm still growing and as of today, I've grown an inch (from 5'9 to 5'10) since the beginning of the sumer. Hopefully I'll end up around 5'11-6'1 or somewhere between that.

Hey, that height is my goal too :D

Baseball players were routinely putting on 15lbs of muscle in the off season and now we know why.

Growth spurts of course :p

mrmo1115
09-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Try the Prestige FXP MP until the new Youtek comes out !

The FXP is alot better than the MG and you can get them cheap in alot of places...

star 5 15
09-05-2009, 09:12 PM
In what you said you were looking for you basically described the new pure storm ltd gt. I highly recomend it. I had P1 do quiet a bit of customizing and it came to unstrung specs being 332g, 300mm balance, and a 280 SW. Strung with luxilon alu thats about 349g, and a 315SW

Nanshiki
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Try the O3 Hybrid Tour. Discontinued but very similar, and you can still buy them new, or used for reasonable prices.

TW has six demos for sale for $50 each, in 1/2...