PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Buy First Stringing Machine

Chopin
08-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a stringing machine and would appreciate any recommendations for a reasonably priced one! I don't want to spend more than a $1000. I'm new to stringing racquets. I'll be stringing primarily for myself, and don't see myself doing more than 5 racquets a month.

Thanks,
Chopin

jim e
08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Here is a good article to read, it's by the USRSA.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/08/2008_guide_to_stringing_machin.html

Also on the link below, click on the top tabs to see the different features, and you can also click on the different manufactures, and it will take you right to their web site, so you can get a good deal of information to get the machine that would have the features you would most like, and hopefully within your price range. Happy hunting! (The more features the easier the job becomes, along with a more enjoyable time stringing the racquets, but then of course the higher the $ becomes.) My advise is get the most machine that you can afford. You will be happier in the end.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200808/200808stringing_machines.html

daboogieman
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Take a look over at the stringing machines section.

Here is a nice link which will give you a nice overview of the machines out there and some prices.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=213946

bulldawg
08-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I would reccomend either a Gamma 5003 or a Prince Neos 1000...both are workhorses that are easy to use. The customer service at Gamma is wonderful, as well.

v205
08-28-2009, 06:17 PM
What's a good enought machine that a home user can use for mostly his own racquets which is maybe once a month? I like the Neos 1000 but I think that is an overkill.

daboogieman
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
honestly for the price most on these boards will say go with an Alpha Revo 4000. Best bang for the buck for a home stringer. And Alpha has great customer service!

murrmanfan13
08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
alpha is the way to go. DC Plus best priced drop-weight on the market Revo 4000 best priced crank. the DC is really top of the line drop-weight, while the Revo is as good as the 1000 dollar stand up cranks. the only problem is its table top...

Chopin
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow guys, thanks for the help. I'm going to start doing some reading so I can come up with some educated questions for you guys.

Chopin
08-28-2009, 08:35 PM
What's the deal with these Eagnes machines--can they be decent values or are they junk?

jim e
08-28-2009, 08:44 PM
What's the deal with these Eagnes machines--can they be decent values or are they junk?

A lot of people have gotten burned by them in the past, as their customer service is worse than you could imagine. I also heard that their electronics are of poor components by someone who posted here that went to their warehouse, and could not believe what was used in those electronic machines, as the poster seemed to be knowledgable in that area.I guess corners have to be cut somewheres if the price is lower. You do get what you pay for the majority of the time.
I guess if you get a manual machine and have no problems, you may be alright, but it seems like it is a gamble. Check out the search function on this site and you will get similar results on this. Also note that the USRSA does not even list them, as they have reasons as well.That said, I guess some people have got a good machine. You have to ask yourself "Do you feel lucky"

Supracool94
08-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Revo 4000 or Gamma X-ST are good machines to start with!

Getting an Eagnas will result in wasting your time and money!

Chopin
08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
A lot of people have gotten burned by them in the past, as their customer service is worse than you could imagine. I also heard that their electronics are of poor components by someone who posted here that went to their warehouse, and could not believe what was used in those electronic machines, as the poster seemed to be knowledgable in that area.I guess corners have to be cut somewheres if the price is lower. You do get what you pay for the majority of the time.
I guess if you get a manual machine and have no problems, you may be alright, but it seems like it is a gamble. Check out the search function on this site and you will get similar results on this. Also note that the USRSA does not even list them, as they have reasons as well.That said, I guess some people have got a good machine. You have to ask yourself "Do you feel lucky"

Thanks for that. Hey, if I'm going to get a machine, I'd rather get something higher quality that I feel comfortable stringing my frames with.

masterxfob
08-28-2009, 11:45 PM
if you're only stringing 5 rackets a month, i'd recommend you save your money and get a cheap klipper, gamma, or ats. once you get used to any of those sub $200 stringers you'll be able to string a racket in under 30 minutes. if you're planning on stringing a lot more in the future, then by all means invest in one of the pricier machines.

Chopin
08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
What about a 2 point versus 6 point mounting system? Does the two point place more stress on the frame?

Chopin
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Do you guys like the Alpha Revo4000?

jim e
08-29-2009, 06:39 AM
You have to ask yourself if you may be stringing for other people as well. If so will some of them be Prince o port racquets, and if so a brake is very much recommended, just look at the Prince web stringing instr. Also will you string any Head crossbows, if so you may wish to get a six point mount. Also fixed clamps will make the job easier, and gives less tension loss compared to floating clamps. Just a suggestion.It would be my minimun requirements!

murrmanfan13
08-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Chopin, im sure if you search, youll find that this forum is a living ADD for the alpha revo! also i see you live in saint john, ive been there many times. where are u on the island?

keviinxk
08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
i have a 1 month old klipper id like to sell.
only because i taught myself how to string and i mostly string racquetball rackets with fan patterns and would like to upgrade to a hip hop or a hercules 690. the fixed clamp would really help me get the mains started

id like to get $130 for it shipped. includes everything i bought it with

diredesire
08-29-2009, 01:12 PM
if you're only stringing 5 rackets a month, i'd recommend you save your money and get a cheap klipper, gamma, or ats. once you get used to any of those sub $200 stringers you'll be able to string a racket in under 30 minutes. if you're planning on stringing a lot more in the future, then by all means invest in one of the pricier machines.
5x12 = 60, 60x20 (labor) = 1200. Money made back in a year. No reason NOT to go for a higher end machine IMHO if he's got the budget.

I'd shoot for something with a stand if you have the space for it, the 5003 was a good recommendation. Or you can buy something like the X-ST and get a stand. I prefer stands over carts/stringing on a table.

Lots of people like the Revo 4K, the machine is a good value, and you can pair it with a Wise tension head down the road.

The NEOS is a work horse, also a low-stress machine. Simple, and it works for most frames. If you string any fan patterned frames, it'll be a problem, though.

jim e
08-29-2009, 02:33 PM
5x12 = 60, 60x20 (labor) = 1200. Money made back in a year. No reason NOT to go for a higher end machine IMHO if he's got the budget.

I agree with that! I would get as much machine as you can afford, as most likely you will end up stringing more than you anticipate, and would later want to upgrade to a better machine. Best to get a good one from the beginning.Even if you stop, it would be easier to sell a quality good machine rather than a cheap one.

stanfordtennis alum
08-29-2009, 02:35 PM

it's a pretty good machine IMO...the Eagnas machines are great quality as well

1st Seed
08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
SP HIP HOP does everything nicely.You're RDiS will be safe in this machine.Grab one when they come in or they will sell out fast.Very affordable,quality built.My first machine.

Chopin
08-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Chopin, im sure if you search, youll find that this forum is a living ADD for the alpha revo! also i see you live in saint john, ive been there many times. where are u on the island?

Thanks!

I'm not that far from the Westin Resort in Cruz Bay (I use the "synthetic grass" courts there sometimes). I'm not here all the time, but it has to be one of the loveliest spots in the all of the world.

Chopin
08-29-2009, 10:50 PM
SP HIP HOP does everything nicely.You're RDiS will be safe in this machine.Grab one when they come in or they will sell out fast.Very affordable,quality built.My first machine.

Yeah I do love my RDiS!

wrxtotoro
08-29-2009, 11:29 PM
I have an Eagnas drop weight and it has no problem at all under 60 lb... Anything higher like 65 lb and you will need to replace the spring in the clutch every 20 string job or so... it tends to break, slip... A replacement spring is only 18 bucks though.

murrmanfan13
08-30-2009, 06:50 AM
ahh Cruz Bay, that place has the best restaurants. ive stayed at Caneel Bay a few times and have been pretty much across the whole island.

Chopin
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
ahh Cruz Bay, that place has the best restaurants. ive stayed at Caneel Bay a few times and have been pretty much across the whole island.

The Caneel grounds are gorgeous--pretty nice tennis facility too.

mrw
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Just my opinion but if you have never strung before, why don't you buy a Klippermate or X2 or a SP Swing and learn the basics while seeing if you like the process? My Klipper turns out a fine product as do the other two mentioned.

jim e
08-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Since you have the $ to get a decent machine, you should look for a 6 point mount, a good brake(many racquets this would make life much easier), and fixed clamps,(floating, clamps do loose some tension, some argue that the loss is uniform and the consistancy is the same, but no one has ever completely verified this accuracy other than the stringbed stiffness being lower).These 3 things should be the bare minimum you should look into given the $ amount that you can spend.

If you never strung a racquet, it would be frustrating to say the least to try and string some O port racquets without a decent brake, as some models there is no boomerang even avail. I'm just attempting to give some advise so stringing will not be that difficult and frustrating to you.Given that you never strung, if you got an X-2 and had to string an EXO3,that had the grommet inserts, and no brake, and had to hold the racquet in place so you do not damage the grommet system, and drop the weight just to horizontal only, all while then clamping with floating clamps,all while keeping an eye on the proper placement of strings, could be very intimidating for a new stringer. I'm sure experienced stringers that have this type machine will tell you that its no problem, but those are experienced stringers.Do yourself a favor and get a decent machine since you have the $.

murrmanfan13
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
The Caneel grounds are gorgeous--pretty nice tennis facility too.

yeah, the courts are great.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I am also a 'virgin' as a stringer, but have been toying with the idea of getting a machine. Having read Mansewerz's excellent thread on machines,

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=213946

I have decided to get an 'entry level' electronic stand machine. I play with the Babolat PDR+ (cortex version) and will primarily, if not exclusively, be stringing only my rackets.

I'm curious what some of you more experienced stringers would select as your machine (I am expecting to pay in the $1500-$1800 range) and why.

Also, I found the stringing instruction for the PDR GT racket on the Babolat website. I assume the Cortex racket has an identical string pattern. But I'm not exactly sure how to read the pattern. I would assume the #1 grommet would be tied, but that is not the case according to the instruction sheet I am seeing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jim e
08-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I found the stringing instruction for the PDR GT racket on the Babolat website. I assume the Cortex racket has an identical string pattern. But I'm not exactly sure how to read the pattern. I would assume the #1 grommet would be tied, but that is not the case according to the instruction sheet I am seeing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the pattern for a Babolat Pure Drive + cortex GT:
Lngth 1 PC: 38"
S.S.:10'
Lnght 2 Pc:20'x18'
Tension:55-62 Lbs.
Pattern:16x19
Start M's:T
Main Skips:8T&8H
Tie Off M's:6T
Start 1 Pc X:8T
Last 1 Pc X:8H
Tie 1 Pc X:7H
Start 2 Pc X: 8H
Last 2 Pc X:8T
Tie 2 Pc X:7H, 10T

The racquet can be strung as 1 piece or 2 piece, as instructions above. Hope this helps. Jim
(You were asking about tie offs: you tie off the main strings at 6T,tie the 1pc. X at 7H, and tie the 2 PC X at 7H,10T Those are the only tie off spots.)

BTW, If you cannot read the pattern as listed you may wish to go to the FAQ of this section and look up YULitles videos on stringing racquets as they are explained there better than going over that here.
Here is the link:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626

Tar Heel Tennis
08-30-2009, 07:49 PM
^ thanks Jim e!

jim e
08-30-2009, 07:52 PM
^ thanks Jim e!

No problem! Just post whatever, and most here will respond, as most are good people that really can help.

domhas1
08-30-2009, 09:08 PM
What do you guys think of the Laserfibre Quantum TT-Eco w/ DA Clamps dropweight machine?

jim e
08-30-2009, 09:15 PM
What do you guys think of the Laserfibre Quantum TT-Eco w/ DA Clamps dropweight machine?

I never had any dealings with them , but others have. You may wish to do a search on this site, but the link below will get you started:Be sure to read the last post in that one!
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=274813&highlight=laserfibre+quantum
There are a # of links very similar to this one."You have to ask yourself, Do I feel lucky"

mongo
09-01-2009, 05:46 AM
jim e:
If I were you I would not string ANY PD with one piece of string. Babolat is very touchy about 1 piece stringing and should the frame crack and it's returned, they will not honor the warranty if it is strung w/ one piece; ATW or not. They want those frames strung from top to bottom. 4 knots. PERIOD. Take it from one who found out the hard way.

jim e
09-01-2009, 07:57 AM
jim e:
If I were you I would not string ANY PD with one piece of string. Babolat is very touchy about 1 piece stringing and should the frame crack and it's returned, they will not honor the warranty if it is strung w/ one piece; ATW or not. They want those frames strung from top to bottom. 4 knots. PERIOD. Take it from one who found out the hard way.

I just posted him the pattern that Came from the USRSA digest. They usually get their info. from the manuf. As a side note, I string just about everything 2 piece and top down, as Head requires 2 piece stringing top down , along with all the hybrids, and I also prefer to string nat. gut all 2 piece , so the majority of my stringing is 2 piece.
The pattern I gave him was straight out of the digest.I heard the Wilson and Babolat allows stringing bottom up,its also in the digest that way, but I still string top down.
But since it is listed in the digest , I find it hard to believe it is not accurate and up to date!
(Possibly you are thinking of Head, Prince, or Yonex, as they all should be strung top down).

diredesire
09-01-2009, 08:23 AM
jim e:

I've been told Babolat doesn't care about bottom-up stringing from a rep, and that you can actually string 10 lbs over the max rated with no warranty impact, due to the range being made so the woofer grommets are still "effective." This was a while ago, though. Anyone have a babolat contact?