PDA

View Full Version : Oasis

Breaker
08-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Listen up, Noel has left, essentially ending Oasis - the greatest band of my lifetime and one of the greatest in history in my view. Whatever, it may all be part of the masterplan of Noel's as he takes his career solo and continues to make hit after hit. Liam shouldn't look back in anger as it was mainly his own doing that caused Noel's departure, d'you know what I mean? I hope, no..I think, no..I know that they will go down all around the world as a great band with so much quality throughout the 15 years.

For Liam, it is more difficult. I mean he is married with children and the nature of reality is that he has never been very professional and now has more distractions, what would be his motivation to soldier on with Gem, Andy, and Chris to keep Oasis going? Noel understands the importance of being idle, but does Liam understand this same thing? I'm not sure. Maybe a bell will ring inside his head and he will convince Noel to come back, some might say that is very unlikely as he would be going nowhere making that request with all of the crap he has done to Noel in the past. So it is more likely Liam could fade away whilst Noel flourishes.

Thank you for the good times, Oasis.

VivalaVida
08-28-2009, 08:24 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

Breaker
08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
^^ Stop crying your heart out and accept that we may not hear any more of them, that is the most important step in recovering.

VivalaVida
08-28-2009, 08:36 PM
^^ Yeah, quality band for sure. At least we have their music with us to enjoy for years and years.

Feņa14
08-28-2009, 09:19 PM
They've pretty much always had spats, who knows if this is the one that has fully broke the band or if it will be fixed in time.

mhstennis100
08-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Did anyone else catch how he used like 20 song titles in his post?

jamauss
08-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Did anyone else catch how he used like 20 song titles in his post?

I caught it, but that's probably because I own like every Oasis song ever produced, from back when they were called "Rain" or whatever.

Breaker
08-28-2009, 11:26 PM
^^ Yeah, quality band for sure. At least we have their music with us to enjoy for years and years.

'It's only a rock group that split up, it's nothing important. You know, you have all the old records there if you want to reminisce' - John Lennon.

Very true.

They've pretty much always had spats, who knows if this is the one that has fully broke the band or if it will be fixed in time.

Yeah but Noel's just getting older and at 40 probably doesn't have the patience to put up with constant drunken antics anymore. Oh well Liam will always have cigarretes and alcohol even without Oasis.

fps
08-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Oasis always borrowed, but in later years they stole (borrowing, but not making it worth it), and Noel lost the songwriting touch. they settled into a parody of themselves as a stadium rock dinosaur.

still, the first 3 albums were good.

Peters
08-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Only their first two albums were classics. Be Here Now was okay I suppose. The rest were pretty bad, a couple of them downright stinkers.

Shame really - a lot of his best songs are hidden away on early b-sides that the vast majority of the world never heard. The Masterplan b-side album (if you consider that as an 'album') hints at what could have been a classic 3rd album, but it wasn't to be.

If anything, perhaps they should have split up a lot sooner. They've been in a slump for well over a decade now.

SempreSami
08-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Too bad they haven't released a decent album in over a decade.

Xisbum
08-29-2009, 06:24 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

LOL.

To answer the Fed diaper question in your signature line - I can see his 4 nannies changing diapers, and they probably make more a year than I do. :)

mhstennis100
08-29-2009, 08:30 AM
First two albums were, as mentioned, classics. The only album I don't own is Heathen Chemistry. And I have to say, while not classics, their other albums are still quite good.

wyutani
08-29-2009, 08:33 AM
i always liked blur and gorillaz...more.

Breaker
08-29-2009, 05:04 PM
i always liked blur and gorillaz...more.

Well you probably aren't a big rock & roll fan. Blur did come back earlier this year though which was quite a sight.

Have to say if Noel goes solo and produces performances like this one, it would possibly be better than Oasis continuing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6_A1h2OIU

Breaker
08-29-2009, 05:07 PM

Incorrect, Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Don't Believe the Truth were great albums in my view. Heathen Chemistry was very average and Dig Out Your Soul was pretty good. Although for DOYS they only played 4-5 tunes live which was disappointing..

Oui, c'est moi.
08-29-2009, 06:31 PM
It's about time they split up.

I like Noel, he's smart. He's one of the greatest rip-off merchants of all time.

GPG
08-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Noel said that they split?

THANK YOU GOD!

VivalaVida
08-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Wonderwall is such an awesome song.

Deuce
08-30-2009, 12:21 AM
19 posts... and - incredibly - no-one has mentioned the possibility - actually, the strong likelihood - that this is simply yet another publicity stunt.

"All publicity is good publicity."

Peters
08-30-2009, 03:49 AM
Incorrect, Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Don't Believe the Truth were great albums in my view.
I'm sorry, but if they qualify as 'great albums' my dad is also the Pope. And pigs can fly.

fps
08-30-2009, 02:42 PM
19 posts... and - incredibly - no-one has mentioned the possibility - actually, the strong likelihood - that this is simply yet another publicity stunt.

"All publicity is good publicity."

they've become such a parody of a big bloated rock band that i thought pretty early on in this that they've yet to do the big reunion tour thing. interest has been waning, but it'll probably be a coupla years before they do it.

Lakoste
08-30-2009, 04:47 PM

True that. This thread makes me laugh, in a sad sort of way.

Oh, and Liam blows.

mhstennis100
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Noel should just take over lead vocals if/when he rejoins Oasis

Breaker
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry, but if they qualify as 'great albums' my dad is also the Pope. And pigs can fly.

Hmm just listened to them again and concluded that they are indeed great albums. Just different from their earlier stuff.

SOTSOG
F***ing in the Bushes - Great opener, there's a reason they've opened every gig with it since being released.
Go Let It Out - Classic Oasis.
Who Feels Love? - Didn't like it at first, but now one of my favourite Oasis tunes.
Put Yer Money Where Your Mouth Is - Rock & Roll, has some great guitar hooks though Liam's voice is a bit overproduced in this one.
Little James - Most average track and Liam's first to be on an album. Not great and the lyrics are eh..too simple? Easily the weakest on the album.
Gas Panic! - Just awesome.
Where Did It All Go Wrong? - Maybe Noel's best vocal on an album quality song.
Sunday Morning Call - Another great Noel vocal and the buildup is awesome.
I Can See A Liar - Dodgy lyrics but great tune live.
Roll It Over - Another one I didn't like at first, but now love the instrumentation and psychedelic feel.

DBBT
Love all of it, besides "The Importance of Being Idle" there are really "classics" like littered their first two albums, but just a solid effort and awesome album with a great variety of songs.

Peters
08-31-2009, 03:11 AM
Gas Panic is the only decent track on SOTSOG - nearly everything else typified the turgid, dirge-like tunes they were coming out with by then. No spark, nothing to get excited about.

Okay, DBBT wasn't quite the same level of failure, but it was still distinctly average.

I guess if you like them then good for you, but there are only 2 genuinely great Oasis albums - and that's not just me being overly-harsh; I always buy each new album of theirs in the blind hope Noel has somehow rediscovered his mojo from the mid-90s, but alas it never happened...

Tempest344
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
who??

oh that band that wants to be the beatles but isn't

VivalaVida
09-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Hey Breaker, I am really getting into Oasis now and since you know a lot about em. Can you recommend some good songs? Thanks.

Peters
09-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Anything from Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory. Plus a few other b-sides here & there.

Those two albums will do for starters, since they absolutely lord it over anything else they ever produced.

mhstennis100
09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Breaker, I am really getting into Oasis now and since you know a lot about em. Can you recommend some good songs? Thanks.

If you just want to get a few songs to start with, try "Live Forever", "Rock N Roll Star", "Wonderwall", "Champagne Supernova", "Don't Look Back In Anger", or maybe "Supersonic".

jimbo333
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
To summarise:-

The first 2 albums were Superb, as was the b-sides album. After that Noel never found that songwriting spark again, and the other albums are all average to poor.

Liam is the singer of the group and is as important as Noel's songwriting. When Noel started singing more, it just wasn't as good.

Oh, and I think you'll find they'll get back together in 3 years for a new album and tour:)

tricky
09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
The Masterplan b-side album (if you consider that as an 'album') hints at what could have been a classic 3rd album, but it wasn't to be.

Yeah, the problem was that by Masterplan, they've pretty much used up the remaining songs Noel had written before Definitely Maybe came out. Then, by Heathen Chemistry, Oasis became a democracy.

Owen Morris was also like a 5th member of Oasis. On paper, Oasis's influences weren't that different from, say, Tom Petty or a younger brother version of Suede -- 60s melodies + jangle meets 70s boogie + glam. But then Owen Morris fused that with his "clipped to red zone" take on the Creation shoegaze sound. It made Oasis seem like 30-foot giants, and it was so hypersaturated that T-Rex-ish riffs sounded new again, that Ronson-ish glam solos sounded pivotal again. And above all, it made Liam sound like a guru in all the chaos, fried out of his mind yet completely in his element.

Incorrect, Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Don't Believe the Truth were great albums in my view.

Standing is their most "Mancunian" (full-on psychedelia, big grooves, alienated vibe) record, and it would have been MUCH better recieved, had it been the 3rd Oasis record. (It plays well against another late night record like Urban Hymns.) Their B-side "Let's All Make Believe" is my 2nd favorite song Oasis ever written.

Breaker
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM

As mentioned, their first two albums in full are classics and every song on them is fantastic. The Masterplan B-sides also are great all the way through, can't really pick a bad tune out of that bunch. That's around 35 songs to get you started :).

"Whatever" is one of their best songs ever as well, though it was released separately as a single.

The b-sides that aren't on Masterplan from this era that I like most are "D'yer wanna be a spaceman" and "Round Are Way". After that I loved all of the albums except Heathen Chemistry but here are some other favourites from after "Masterplan" came out. (Albums in bold and underlined, songs underneath)

Be Here Now
D'you Know What I mean?
My Big Mouth
Stand By Me
I Hope, I Think, I Know
The Girl In The Dirty Shirt
All Around The World
It's Gettin' Better (Man!!!!)

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants
****in' in the bushes
Go Let It Out
Who Feels Love?
Gas Panic!
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Sunday Morning Call
Roll It Over

Heathen Chemistry
Songbird
Born On A Different Cloud
Stop Crying Your Heart Out
(As I said don't like this album very much, though most of the other tunes on it were brilliant live)

Don't Believe The Truth
Turn Up The Sun
The Importance Of Being Idle
Part Of The Queue
Let There Be Love
(Loved the entire album, those are standouts)

Dig Out Your Soul
Bag It Up
The Turning
Waiting For The Rapture
Falling Down
To Be Where There's Life
Soldier On

Other B-sides
Let's All Make Believe
Flashbax
Sad Song
Shout It Out Loud
You've Got The Heart Of A Star
Thank You For The Good Times
Eyeball Tickler
Pass Me Down The Wine
Bonehead's Bank Holiday
Solve My Mystery
The Boy With The Blues
Falling Down (Chemical Brothers Remix)

Though listening to every one of their songs would be preferable :)

drakulie
09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I thought they broke up over ten years ago? Is there any chance NBMJ is managing them?

Breaker
09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Standing is their most "Mancunian" (full-on psychedelia, big grooves, alienated vibe) record, and it would have been MUCH better recieved, had it been the 3rd Oasis record. (It plays well against another late night record like Urban Hymns.) Their B-side "Let's All Make Believe" is my 2nd favorite song Oasis ever written.

I agree with this. Though I think The Verve were far more psychedelic on A Storm In Heaven. Be Here Now was too long and too heavy to follow a sing-a-long album like WTSMG. Replace the timing of the third and fourth albums and there would probably would have been a lot more love for them from the critics.

Agreed on "Let's All Make Believe", everything is brilliant about that track and it's a shame Noel didn't put in on the fourth album in the place of maybe "Put Yer Money Where Your Mouth Is". Not putting certain b-sides onto albums was another thing that hurt Noel in the long run.

slice bh compliment
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
...Whatever,... masterplan of Noel's as he takes his career solo and continues to make hit after hit....look back in anger ... d'you know what I mean? ..around the world ...married with children and the nature of reality ...now has more distractions, what would be his motivation to soldier on ... importance of being idle, ...I'm not sure. Maybe a bell will ring inside his head ...come back, some might say ...going nowhere... fade away ...good times, Oasis.

That was massive. I'm sorry I missed out on this thread. I was in Columbia with the girl in the dirty shirt. We heard the news, and her son Little James had a gas panic, so, we took a Supersonic plane back.

I stood by her and her son...and I expected her to stand by me, but the relationship ended -- she told me to slide away, but it's cool. There's no need for her to say she's sorry .... her music's *****, it kept me up all night, up all night.

VivalaVida
09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
As mentioned, their first two albums in full are classics and every song on them is fantastic. The Masterplan B-sides also are great all the way through, can't really pick a bad tune out of that bunch. That's around 35 songs to get you started :).

"Whatever" is one of their best songs ever as well, though it was released separately as a single.

The b-sides that aren't on Masterplan from this era that I like most are "D'yer wanna be a spaceman" and "Round Are Way". After that I loved all of the albums except Heathen Chemistry but here are some other favourites from after "Masterplan" came out. (Albums in bold and underlined, songs underneath)

Be Here Now
D'you Know What I mean?
My Big Mouth
Stand By Me
I Hope, I Think, I Know
The Girl In The Dirty Shirt
All Around The World
It's Gettin' Better (Man!!!!)

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants
****in' in the bushes
Go Let It Out
Who Feels Love?
Gas Panic!
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Sunday Morning Call
Roll It Over

Heathen Chemistry
Songbird
Born On A Different Cloud
Stop Crying Your Heart Out
(As I said don't like this album very much, though most of the other tunes on it were brilliant live)

Don't Believe The Truth
Turn Up The Sun
The Importance Of Being Idle
Part Of The Queue
Let There Be Love
(Loved the entire album, those are standouts)

Dig Out Your Soul
Bag It Up
The Turning
Waiting For The Rapture
Falling Down
To Be Where There's Life
Soldier On

Other B-sides
Let's All Make Believe
Flashbax
Sad Song
Shout It Out Loud
You've Got The Heart Of A Star
Thank You For The Good Times
Eyeball Tickler
Pass Me Down The Wine
Bonehead's Bank Holiday
Solve My Mystery
The Boy With The Blues
Falling Down (Chemical Brothers Remix)

Though listening to every one of their songs would be preferable :)
Awesome! Thanks a lot. I have listened to some amazing songs by them: Slide Away, Live forever, Dont go away, WonderWall, Morning Glory etc. I look forward to listening to them